Several questions about GarageBand

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
I have one of these:

M-AUD-AXIOM25.jpg

Axiom 25 - Advanced 25-Key Semi-Weighted USB MIDI Controller

And love it! I find the rotary encoders and the LCD screen very useful!

And you can plug it in via USB or MIDI inputs! At around £100 it's a great buy!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
By weighted, do you mean it plays more like a real keyboard/piano? My current setup is just playing the home row keys of my MacBook keyboard, but they sometimes stick and don't play the way a real keyboard does. Would a weighted MIDI controller be more to my liking?

Reaction score
By weighted, do you mean it plays more like a real keyboard/piano? My current setup is just playing the home row keys of my MacBook keyboard, but they sometimes stick and don't play the way a real keyboard does. Would a weighted MIDI controller be more to my liking?

Pretty much. I prefer the weighted keys because it just feels more sturdy and comfortable to play.

If there is a local music shop around you, give them a call and see if they have any midi keyboards in stock. Then go and test them out because you might not necessarily care about weighted keys. 'Normal' keyboard keys are fine, and don't stick. Some keyboards also feature Aftertouch. That's basically just a feature on the individual keys that allows you to add a sort of reverb or effect to the note you're playing by pushing the key down a little further than you normally expect it to go. So in other words, you hold down a key, then push it down a little more and the aftertouch comes into play.

The Axiom series are awesome. I also love the addition of the drum pads. The only thing is that 25 keys could be a little small depending on what you want to do. Playing bass lines is easier to do on a 49-key than a 25...

If you aren't looking for something extremely 'advanced' and/or expensive, a good keyboard is the M-Audio Oxygen 49. Check that out too. I think Amazon sells it for $113 dollars or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 20" 1.9ghz PPC 2gb Ram,250gb HD
I would just go with an alesis micron...super sweet synth and a small yet spacious keyboard that provides 37 keys of dope azz sound..got one myself..don't do too much on GB like I do on logic but I get down with it more with my MPC but sweet synth in my book..and very inexpensive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
Pretty much. I prefer the weighted keys because it just feels more sturdy and comfortable to play.

If there is a local music shop around you, give them a call and see if they have any midi keyboards in stock. Then go and test them out because you might not necessarily care about weighted keys. 'Normal' keyboard keys are fine, and don't stick. Some keyboards also feature Aftertouch. That's basically just a feature on the individual keys that allows you to add a sort of reverb or effect to the note you're playing by pushing the key down a little further than you normally expect it to go. So in other words, you hold down a key, then push it down a little more and the aftertouch comes into play.

The Axiom series are awesome. I also love the addition of the drum pads. The only thing is that 25 keys could be a little small depending on what you want to do. Playing bass lines is easier to do on a 49-key than a 25...

If you aren't looking for something extremely 'advanced' and/or expensive, a good keyboard is the M-Audio Oxygen 49. Check that out too. I think Amazon sells it for $113 dollars or so.

I do actually really like the weighted keys, feels so much nicer to play! Also adds a little more control to how hard you can press the notes!

Yeah the drum pads are cool as well ;P

My mate has the M-Audio Oxygen 25 and is constantly asking me if he can buy mine haha

Reaction score
If you're going to be looking into synthesizers, then also check out the microKORG.

The Micron and microKORG are both the same price, but still worth comparing.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why doesn't Pitchbend record properly in GarageBand?

I'm playing a midi piano with the pitchbend and it sounds great as I'm playing it in GarageBand, but once recorded it sounds like crap during playback. Is this a bug?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5Ghz, 768Mb RAM, 80gb hard drive-imac G4-ipod touch 32Gb 3g-Macbook 2.4ghz, 2BG RAM
It should sound just like how you play it. Do you qauntize your performance afterward? try editing the pitch bend data in the edit window.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
GarageBand won't open file, initializes forever

GB was working fine last night until this morning when I tried opening it from the dock, then opening from a file, and finding out it won't open with any method -- it just initializes forever. What happened?

edit: Nevermind, just had to reboot

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It should sound just like how you play it. Do you qauntize your performance afterward? try editing the pitch bend data in the edit window.

How do I do that?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From GarageBand to professional mastering

If I record and mix everything in GarageBand, what's the next step to making a professional recording? Obviously, I want it mastered, but do I just give the producer the GarageBand file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
If the producer HAS GarageBand (or another program that can work with GarageBand files), then yes...otherwise, you'd need to convert it to stereo or at least export each track as individual WAV or AIFF files...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
if the tracks are leveled and mixed, all you gotta do is "export to itunes" and send that file. its a really hi-res .aiff file. i just had two tracks mastered this way and they sound great.

sending the actual g-band file could cause problems especially if you use third-party AU or plug-ins. you'd have to send those plug-ins and all your samples that were used along with it.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Questions about Microphone for GarageBand

I just got a new external mic that plugs in via the 1/8" mic port (on the side of my MacBook). I played with all the input settings in GB (Built-In Mic/Built-In Input/System Setting), but none of them seem to be picking up sound. Am I missing something here?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
External mic not picking up sound in GB

I just got a new external mic that plugs in via the 1/8" mic port (on the side of my MacBook). I played with all the input settings in GB (Built-In Mic/Built-In Input/System Setting), but none of them seem to be picking up sound. I also went into System Preferences and made sure to select the right mic.

Am I missing something here?

Reaction score
Mastering

Hi there!

For Mastering you only give Wave or AIFF Files to the mastering producer - normally not project files of any software.
This just makes sense for mixing if the mixer uses the same program like logic studio for example!!!

Cheers,
Liedschatten

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Easiest way to create a basic 4/4 beat in GB

I'm finding it near impossible to keep a steady 4/4 kick drum beat for the length of a 4-minute song with my MIDI drum machine. What's the best way to stretch it throughout the song? I know you can loop it, but there's always that bit at the end that throws everything off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.