Official Desktop Customization Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
is there a way to change system icons with out using candy bar? since my candy bar trial ran out, and being a student, I have absolutly no money what so ever to spend on anythingh and my parents do not feel that candy bar is a program that I need, lol, So is there a way to change the system icons with out using candybar?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
didnt you give a tutorial on this subject your self

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
He is talking about the system icons... not just regular apps/docs/folders. I'm curious too... I don't really care for candybar. But I would like to change my finder icon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm in search of google, I have found how to change the icons in the prefference pane... but not finder and such..http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=282632 is where I found out how to change preference pane icons, I have not yet tried it but I will. Does anybody know where the finder, and trash icons and such are located... using tips from the neowin forum that I linked above I have been searching for their locations but I have been unable. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok awesome, mainly for sarahsboy since he was the on who also experssed his curriosity along with me as to how to change the icons, I am still working on it, but I have found some files in the core services folder that I am pretty sure Have something to do with the icons. Hard Drive>System>Core Services> There is a packaged named Dock and when you open it there are .png files... I am going to continue to fool around with these files and will keep up my changing the icons "diary" going right here on the forums... hopefully somebody is tracking my progress and trying them selves so that there is more then one mind working on this project of mine... Post back soon, possibly with in a couple of hours, when new progress is made.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, so i was successful in learing how changing icons with out candybar....
I am not yet done yet, but I have to ask you guys why the Icon is not good quality, it could be becaues I cut it out in photoshop, and therefore I am going to do it again.... and for some reason there is a line there that is not in photoshop, but I am going to continue to work on it, but was so excited that I actually could of saved some people here money by doing it themselves with out buying candy bar... the screen shot below is with the trash icon changed. I am still working so don't completly bash me yet.

Picture 2.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and the latest again... I know most of you probuably don't care, but I need somepeople to be atleast watching me, and hopefully might have some advice for me, and now I need it. I restarted my computer and all the icons reset, and I am unsure why this happens sine I am relitively new to macs and I am not yet the expert that I was on windows xp. Why did the mac reset the icon files that I put in place, when I deleted the old ones, and where are these icons that came back so I can delete those so this doesn't happen again, or is this impossible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I tried doing the same thing and I never could get the icons to change in the first place. I was able to change the icon on finder.app by adjusting the permissions... but that doesn't seem to have any effect on the dock icons.

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm, i was stuck on the finder and that is what I was working on, I guss I overlooked permissions, I will have to do that, and I will have to check out that link right now.

Edit: Sarahsboy, we make a good team ;) lol

Edit Again: So I am working with that link but I do not have panther, I am on tiger, I am just going to do some mental tweaks to their instructions, but my first problem is that I do not have sytemicons.bundle and that will be the first thing I have to do... anybody else, other then me or sarahsboy have an idea?

G

guerom00

For what it's worth, the icons of the Finder and the Trash are located inside the Dock.app bundle (in Resources).
Also remember that for certain changes to become effective you might have to "touch" the application (in a Terminal, type "$ touch Dock.app", for instance) because launchd conserve the status of certain "core" applications (like the Dock, the Finder) in cache files.
This "touch" action will force launchd to update the relevant cache files.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm I changed all the icons but did not use terminal to "touch" the dock, I used
"finder must die" to restart finder and the dock, but I was unsuccessful in changing the finder icon just the trash icon.... So I am off the "touch" the dock... I will report back.

Edit: ok back already so no need for a new post... It can not touch it says there is no command, I am not a genious in terminal yet, I am still new to macs as I have said before so I am also new to terminial, so if any body wants to let me know exactly what to type in terminal it would be greatly apprieated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
alexisonfire said:
Its an app called Transmit. It's for uploading files on your FTP site.
you have random bears just wandering around your yard?

also alexisonfire=fantasic band

Reaction score
iLEFTOVERCRACK said:
you have random bears just wandering around your yard?

also alexisonfire=fantasic band
Um.... yes we do have bears roaming around here.... welcome to canada! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Hey,

just wondering what messenger program you guys use? its not iChat is it? (and whats the duck icon?)

Cheers,

Chris.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
S

sursuciofla

My desktop

It's a charcoal drawing (at least part of it anyways) I did some years ago, I just put a torn edges filter on it to get rid of the yellow look of the BFK and dull black of the charcoal in my digital image. I am still on Panther 10.3.9 and probably won't switch OS until I buy a G5 Tower sometime next year. Probably when they put out the Mactel version. Anyways kind of a boring desktop but I just love the little green guy.

Yoda.jpg

yoda1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.