Notebook protective casings/bags/sleeves thread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB
finally put on the speck case on my macbook...and I'm a bit disappointed.

I got the clear type and I'm not too happy about the quality (it is acceptable but I'd like more). it has a rainbow effect and doesn't look as clean and neat as I'd like. THe edges fit great, and all the usbs etc are accessible. But, it doesn't fit the macbook exactly, just at the middle part (where the apple logo is. I feel the speck case giving way and touch the macbook when I grip it, meaning there's space in between. so it's not solid when you hold it which really bothers me since I feel it's wiggly. you know when to plastic materials touch and the get this weird mapping effect, that's what I see when the speck gets pressed onto the macbook.

J

jamesx

mine fits snug. if you dont feel that it fits right, you could just return it for another one. i know the first one i got did not fit right and apple was more than happy to send me another one which works great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 Ghz, 80Gb Blackbook
Should of just gone with the techshell! Everything fits snug EXCEPT, the infrared hole doesn't match up perfectly, in fact its probably 1/2 a centimeter off. Other than that, everything fits snug and is as "SOLID" as anyone would hope for. the material is very stiff and I believe I read about an individual at the MacWorld Exhibit who was continuously jumping on the case failing to break its polycarbonate exterior. I'm a nerd yes I know. You should return the Speck and order a techshell!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 Ghz, 80Gb Blackbook
does the techshell have vents on the bottom to minimize overheating???

Great question. No, there are no vents on the bottom of the techshell case HOWEVER, I was also concerned with the same issue so I emailed techshell about it. Here's their reply:

"Heat has not been an issue in our testing or customer experiences... The vents aren't blocked, so the fan is still able to blow out OK. There is a program called smc fancontrol at http://homepage.mac.com/holtmann/eidac/software/smcfancontrol2/index.html if you're concerned about heat. It can even allow you to adjust the fan speed manually, so your MacBook will run cooler." - Mark Smith

I also read that the majority of the heat dissipates through the rear vents and though the keyboard anyways so the problem was eased a bit in my mind. With that being said, I downloaded SMC Fan Control to monitor the temp difference. At times the temp. WITHOUT the case were 129F-133F. WITH the case I saw the same temp with an exception of a spike in temp in as high as 135F at sporadic times. Keep in mind the fan RPMs were still set at Apple standards of 1500RPM. Also, temp will normally go up if you were to charge your macbook while working on it at the same time. Hope that helps.

I love my techshell, it doesn't have the weird grooves/lines/design on the top shell piece. With the clear smoked techshell on my BLACKbook, it looks like a shiny black version of the white macbook's shiny exterior finish. So if anyone has a blackbook, I HIGHLY recommend the claear smoked case.

J

jamesx

ok, thanks. yea i liked the looks of the techshell also. glad to know it didn't mess with your temps to much.

Reaction score
Looking for a nifty MacBook case or bag?

Howdy...

I've just 'switched' to a MacBook from being a PC user for the last 10 years, so it's great to find this forum..

I was looking for a case for my MacBook, and liked a lot of what I saw at the Apple store, so I decided to make a video-roundup of all the ones I liked...

I put it up as part of my Podcast. I hope you get something out of it...

http://www.neo-fight.tv/2007/06/episode_169_lots_of_macbook_ba.html

Looking forward to reading some of these interesting topics. We'll be having more Mac stuff on the podcast too.. (We just started editing it on FCP6)...

Best,

Ben
---------------------------------------------------------
neo-fight.tv - {The Weekly Technology Podcast}

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I have STM for 17" MBP ...... good carry case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM
Really awesome podcast. I've been shopping around for a bag and this helped me out a little bit.

Reaction score
yah insanely helpful podcast, is the STM Bag too big for macbook like some people say? is it securely fit from all sides, like if u spilled water on the bag it would be ok?

Reaction score
We have some. Mostly we try to be balanced, but we have made fun of some of the Mac vs. PC ads that are fairly one sided, we feel...

Here are the spoofs we made about the Apple ads:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=9AA8D924F5DB6F29

Does that disqualify us from posting here? Hope not...

Regarding the STM bags, they are a little large for the MacBook, but not so much that it rattles around, but not as snug as, say, the Booq or Brenthaven bags...

Currently, I'm enjoying the Speck case combined with the STM Alley... The STM Cargo is WAY too girly....

Best,

Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM
Do you think the Ripstop backpack would be suitable for a student that needs to carry a laptop, 2-3 books, and some accessories? I was looking into the Tom Bihn Buzz backpack but I'm worried that it won't hold everything. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
The RipStop is a great backpack, and it's AMAZINGLY light, but it isn't as roomy as some of the others. I think 2 books and accessories would probably get it to its limit. It's very plush, however, and very comfortable.

Best,

Ben

Reaction score
Which is better bag for fitting into another backpack, the Neocase work-in or Maware Sportfolio? How is the shock resistance?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.