Notebook protective casings/bags/sleeves thread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Black
sorry- i just realized i didnt attach the link, none the less- ebay now has lotsa pictures, but i would recommend buying one from newegg or another online dealer- all the ones i have seen on ebay are more pricey...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB
spec see thru hard case

I would like some feed back from people who are using or have used the spec see thru hardcase.

The reviews I've read so far are mixed, some say it's absolutely perfect and an equal number say that dust can get in between the spec case and the macbook, and scratches it anyways.

I was very interested in getting this product since I could just use the macbook anytime without having to slip it in and out of a sleeve. But now I'm not so sure. Any information on the actual real life use of spec see thru will be much appreciated.

thanks! \(^o^)/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I've read positive responses about it here aswell as elsewhere, but mine was sent back for some headphones, it was rubbish. Maybe the one I received was a poor example though as the ports didn't line up properly due to the bottom case being a little warped. I was surprised at how much bigger it made it seem aswell but it definitely makes you feel a lot safer to have it there. Hopefully you don't have to take your battery out much though as it is a pain to get off and doing so frequently will damage your Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I am not sure what case it is you speak of. But I had purchased a clear hardcase on eBay a few months ago. I didn't have a problem with the ports lining up with the matchings holes in the case. It was designed well that way.
One thing I did notice is that fan ran a lot more often and a lot longer after I put that case one. There is more plastic to keep that heat in and I guess it does a better job of doing that. I bought a laptop fan table thing that had two fans and was powered through USB so that helped a lot.
My personal opinion is that it's a pretty decent case but I wouldn't run that Macbook all day with the case on there without some cool air getting to it. Do they make like plastic film like covers for the Macbook? That might be an idea...
Bryan
I just looked at a photo of the Speck case and it looks exactly like what I had.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I have one, it's great. It only adds 2-3 mm at most to the dimensions. Yes, dust can get between it and the Mac owing to static - you can't do anything about that - but it's not enough to worry about,and you can always clean it. It's MUCH more resistant to scratches than polycarbonate (which is a terrible choice for a notebook case IMO, let alone a desktop) because it's proper hard plastic. Marks and wear-and-tear just don't show up. It's worth every penny. Or cent, depending on where you live. I have a black canvas "trainer-style" case from Speck too, that's also very good, and matches my shoes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that'll be this then: http://www.shieldzone.com/item_description/APPMCBF.html

i'm thinking about getting this, but I'm just not sure if it's easy to install. I mean will it be easy to make sure there were no bubbles and I don't fully understand how the round corners will be covered.

pic020.jpg

pic019.jpg

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

i'm thinking about getting this, but I'm just not sure if it's easy to install. I mean will it be easy to make sure there were no bubbles and I don't fully understand how the round corners will be covered.

Pricey for a bunch of stickers.

I would highly recommend the Speck Products hard case (both ToddG and myself use one). It actually protects, unlike the stickers, and is pretty much transparent in every day use.

I did have to return the first one because it was defective, but the replacement works just great/fits perfectly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

No, that's not what I've got. I do have a set of sticky things that cover the wrist rest and trackpad/button, but I have the Speck hard case too - that really is the best thing I found. I don't like the idea of trying got get that sticky stuff on with bubbles and dirt getting under it, and I'm not sure how much protection it would offer.

I have one of these, in black, not pink:

http://www.laptopessentials.co.uk/laptopstore/product_info.php?products_id=1175

Reaction score
I have a red one that has been very agreeable.

They are not made to NASA quality control standards. The ports on mine line up perfectly, but there was a little bit of interference where the top and bottom lids would meet when the screen was opened wide. Eventually, a small (half the size of a dime) piece just cracked and I pulled it off. Now it fits and works fine, and you'd never know that piece was missing if you weren't familiar with the Speck case.

From what I've seen, my machine doesn't run any hotter. Whether my fan is on more or not I couldn't tell you, but it's not bad and it never bothers me.

My computer has been dropped and abused quite a bit since I got the Speck case and it still looks like new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Macbook, 30 gig black ipod, 1 gig black nano, 2 gig blue nano
My pink one from ebay is on it's way. When it gets here, I'll let ya know/ post some pics! I can't wait! PinkpinkPINKpinkpinkPINK!

Reaction score
I have the red Speck and love it. It fits like a second skin to my macbook. All of the ports line up perfectly and it is really thin and doesn't add enough size to the macbook to even matter. It still fits in the sleeve cases made for the macbook. If you are going to carry your macbook around much, I would definitely get one. I haven't had any problems taking off the speck and cleaning the macbook. The Red glowing apple looks pretty cool too, and you just don't see anybody else with a red laptop. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm... I'm starting to think the spec would be perfect for me.

one question, will it damage the macbook if I were to take it off regularly for cleaning? just to wipe off any dust particle that might have gotten in there. I mean will it wear out the macbook in areas where it has contact with the spec (ie. right were the clips are) ? yes, I am bit of an OC =P I'm used to cleaning all my gadgets regularly...umm I usually disinfect them with a bit of rubbing alcohol too (^___^)

Reaction score
I don't ever clean mine, one of the thing the spec does it protect it from getting messed up.

However, I wouldn't expect you could harm the MB. You might eventually wear out the speck case, however, as it will be getting bent back and forth every time you install and remove it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's fairly easy to remove, it's flexible enough that it just snaps on and off. The top is harder to remove than the base though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
We here at YourMacStore are big fans of the Speck SeeThru cases...we sell a LOT of them to our japanese customers, as they're extremely popular there.

There's a full review on them in my blog...see this :)

I'll also add that Speck is really good about replacing ones that weren't cut properly or are warped. :batman:

Heh, when I get my new macbook pro, I'm planning on getting the clear one, and having the artsy girlfriend paint it for me. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Aww man.. I wish they made these for the 14" iBook.. I have a clear hard-shell "armor" for my RAZR and it has saved my phone from so much. This would be perfect.. The green one is my fave. Either that, or red.

Reaction score
There's a green one now???

edit Ah, just for the MB, not the MBP. Though lucky us, MBP owners can now buy one in hot pink. I think I'll stick with red.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
There's a green one now???

edit Ah, just for the MB, not the MBP. Though lucky us, MBP owners can now buy one in hot pink. I think I'll stick with red.

Seems silly to get one in hot pink...if you had a white MBP, you could just order the red one...and whammo, it's pink.

But then what do I know, Pink isn't my color... :batman:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
It's just SO UNFAIR that there's no hot pink hard shell case for the MacBook. I so like pink. :girl:

I'll just wait for a pink one for the MacBook to come out, then I'll get one. If not then I'll just have to stick to red. Aww. And stocks of the Speck SeeThru case in the Apple Store aren't usually complete here in the Philippines. I'm always waiting for a call just in case there's a red one.

And MikeYMS, I don't think a red case on a white MacBook would become pink. I have a friend who has a red one and it's just plain red. If it was pink then my problem is SOLVED! :flower:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.