Notebook protective casings/bags/sleeves thread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
To be honest, I don't think a "snap on" case of any kind is needed for a MacBook Pro.

I just keep it in an Incase sleeve and put it into my backpack. That sleeve provides enough protection from scratches and stuff. Inside that incase sleeve, my Mac is naked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
To be honest, I don't think a "snap on" case of any kind is needed for a MacBook Pro.

I just keep it in an Incase sleeve and put it into my backpack. That sleeve provides enough protection from scratches and stuff. Inside that incase sleeve, my Mac is naked.

Clear silicone version of the speck case.... anyone know of anything like this for the new 15" MBP?

For me it's at home 99% of the time, but I still want to protect it from even the most minor of scratches if possible!

Reaction score
Heads up for anybody who is looking for a small messenger bag that fits a 13" MBP like a glove, rather than a great big chunky bag look no further than the Lowepro Slimfactor S.

Just received this today, really well made, well cushioned, sturdy yet with a total size hardly bigger than the MBP (They do do bigger ones for the 15" and 17" too - Slimfactor M and Slimfactor L).

Only cost £14.99 in the brown beige colour I got (Not sure if they have any left in this colour though). If you get the Green one they are only £11.99 (Free postage too).

The link for where I got mine from is Lowepro Slim Factor Notebook Case Parsley/Green Tea - Small £11.99 - Free Delivery (Ordered late Monday evening arrived today) but they also sell them on Amazon etc. but are more expensive.

On some sites it's advertised as for 12" laptops but fits the MBP perfectly. It's also doubles as an iPad bag too (In fact you can fit both in at once plus all cables as I've just tried it.

Reaction score
Tough MBP 15" case

Hi,

I have just got a new Macbook Pro 15" and am thinking about getting the incase sleeve for it. I am a graphic student and bike to uni with my laptop in my backpack. I want a case that's going to protect it whilst I'm carrying and transporting it (which I do a lot).

Do you think the neoprene sleeves are protection enough?

My bag is normally very full of sketchbooks etc and so very heavy. Sometimes for this reason I bump it on the ground harder than I meant to.

My budget is pretty limited (student) and I'd like as small a case as possible so that I can maximise space in my already crammed backpack.

Any experiences with the neoprene cases or alternative suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
I pre-ordered a Slappa HardbodyPRO "Carbon Elektra" case which I will throw a review up on here once it arrives. It won't ship until the 10th tho so give me a few days here.

Reaction score
I've been doing a TON of research into bags for a 17" Macbook Pro and thought I would share my findings and perhaps save other people a good deal of research.

There are primarily three types of "bags" (more than a simple sleeve) available:

1. Backpack (traditional)
2. Over-The-Shoulder (messenger)
3. Wheeled / Rolling

I did not look for any traditional backpacks, but as of December 2010, here is a list of many of the available Shoulder and Wheeled bags under $200.

Over-The-Shoulder

Incase "Nylon Tech Brief" - $80

Booq "Boa Nerve L" - $150
Booq "Taipan Slimcase XL" - $30 < don't know why this is so cheap, maybe closeout?

Brenthaven "Prostyle III - XF" - $120

Kensington "Countour Pro 17" - $90
Kensington "SureCheck SP45" - $50

Marware "C.E.O. Milano" - $70

Timbuk2 < customizable messenger bags - approx. $190

RadTech "STM Remedy" - $60
RadTech "STM Duplex" - $75

Targus "17 Air Traveler Case" - $100

Wheeled

FUL "Callobrator" - 7lb - $99

Targus "17 TXL" - 8lb - $70

Brenthaven "StylePro III" - 8.7lb - $200

SOLO "Portfolio" (style PT136-4) - 7.2 lb - $100

---------

Being in the market for a wheeled case myself (for college), my research of wheeled bags are as follows:

There are a plethora of wheeled backpacks for 15” laptops, but rolling bags for 17” laptops are surprisingly difficult to find. You will find many for overnight or short business trips, which are in the form of a small suitcase with a laptop pocket. These are usually very boxy and have a deep area for clothes and toiletries. Usually the images depict several folded mens shirts in this area, and many even have cross-over straps for this very purpose. While you COULD convert one of these suitcases into a bag for work or school, I imagine they would not be ideal.

The FUL “Callobrator” is a “backpack on wheels”. It seems like a fairly nice bag, but consistantly received reviews that the bottom dragged on the ground. For this reason I decided not to purchase it.

The Targus “17 TXL” appears to be one of the more widely sold bags. Some people seem to love it, and others complain that the zippers and handle are poorly designed. There were enough negative reviews that I decided not to purchase it.

The Brenthahven “StylePro III” is also a “backpack on wheels”. Unlike other wheeled bags (for smaller laptops) this one does NOT have backpack straps so you can wear it on your back if you so choose. Because a 17” laptop + books + binder + other supplies make the bag so heavy, I would never do this anyway, so I am pleased at the absence of straps, which makes the bag look sleeker and more streamlined.

The Positives:

--Laptop has it’s OWN pocket which is well-padded. Many other bags received reviews that the laptop compartment was poorly padded. I feel as though my laptop is more protected in its own area, too.
--Vertical design of the bag is convenient for reaching down from a chair.
--Wheels are rubber and larger than most other wheeled bags.
--Zippers appear sturdy.
--Decent array of pockets, both in an outside of the bag.
--Has a fold-out water bottle pouch
--The telescoping handle is more heavy-duty than other bags.
--Can double as a travel bag, which (ingeniously) can open to lay flat on an airport scanner without having to move any inside contents.
--Limited lifetime warranty
--Excellent customer service

The Negatives:

--A bit hard to access items in the main area, because it is so deep. There are two velcro’d pockets on the inside, which when used for slightly bulky items (like a mouse and charger) make it slightly difficult to access content like books and binders. It is easier to remove a book/binder than put it back in.
--The telescoping handle could use some improvement. This, for me, is the biggest drawback. It is a little sticky and I have to grapple with it sometimes. A few times the handle would not come up fully. I may have gotten a defective model but a Brenthaven rep said they have had one or two similar complaints. In addition, the handle has only one setting—fully extended. You cannot adjust it to various heights; if you do, the handle will not lock and will extend or retract as you move.
--It is extremely difficult to access the handle when pushed down fully into the zippered compartment—with big hands it would be virtually impossible.

The SOLO “Portfolio PT136-4” is a bag with lots of lovely pockets. I easily found I could store all of my little extras – my mouse, charger, tissues, glasses case, chap stick, changepurse, scissors, paper clips, etc. In addition to the main area (which houses a laptop “pocket”) there was a nice middle section where I could place my sketchbook and stencils. Alternatively you could also use this for books, because the main pocket can hold a 1.5” binder and a 3” book, and then it’s a tight squeeze.

The Positives

--Horizontal design is sleeker and less obtrusive than some vertically-designed bags.
--Plastic wheels appear to function well and are of decent size.
--Lots of roomy space for bag contents; many options for arrangment of items; well thought-out interior.
--The telescoping handle operates very smoothly.
--The handle is easy to access in its zippered compartment.

The Negatives

--Zipper malfunction is a big issue. The zippers are of medium quality and the main compartment zipper will catch on both sides if unzipped completely. It is still very easy to access the compartment without unzipping it entirely; this would be a matter of getting into the habit of not unzipping the whole way.
--Laptop does not have its own pocket, and the sleeve is not well padded. While not entirely necessary, it is virtually impossible to use the velcro strap when bag is full of books, binders, etc. because you have to push the items out of the way.
--No place for a water bottle.
--Five year warranty; manufacturer’s defect only

A comparison of the two bags:

Both bags have their pros and cons. I love the Brenthaven’s individual pocket for my laptop. I feel that my laptop is more protected in the Brenthaven. I also like that it can be converted into an airport-friendly bag, and the water-bottle pocket, which is a must for me. The wheels are larger and quieter on the Brenthaven. The handle on the SOLO is thinner and flimsier than the Brenthaven, but actually works more fluidly. It is also shorter; the SOLO handle is 26” high and the Brenthaven is 29.5” high. Depending on your height you may prefer one to the other. Neither bags' handle will lock at a partial height—both must be fully extended. I dislike this and wish that they were adjustable. The SOLO weighs 1.5lb less than the Brenthaven, though I couldn’t feel much of a difference as I wheeled them side-by-side. The SOLO has a slightly more versatile layout as far as pockets and books, and it looks smaller than the Brenthaven because of it’s horizontal design. I think both would be appropriate for an office setting, though the SOLO mimics a briefcase while the Brenthaven is a bit more “backpack-ish”. The Brenthaven has one top handle for manual carrying, and the SOLO has two which are sewn at the side and come together at the top. These distribute the weight more evenly and makes it a little easier to carry, but aesthetically looks a bit sloppy as they hang down. The price different is substantial (you can count on knocking about $30 off each one’s price at discount retailers). The Brenthaven has a limited lifetime warranty, while SOLO’s warranty is 5 years. The Brenthaven’s biggest weakness is its handle, and the SOLO’s is its zippers. Overall, I think both bags are decent choices, but I’ll probably be keeping the Brenthaven.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.