• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Next MacBook Pro update rumored to include multi-touch

Reaction score
Sounds pretty sweet. I was set on getting a regular MB since I didn't think it was worth forking out the extra few pounds for a MBP, however now I've heard all this everything changes. Luckily I also get around 15% student discount - sweet.

I guess really it makes sense anyway to be purchasing a MBP when I'm enrolling in a Graphic Design course? :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8GB iPhone, A new MB (When they come out!)
Sounds pretty sweet. I was set on getting a regular MB since I didn't think it was worth forking out the extra few pounds for a MBP, however now I've heard all this everything changes. Luckily I also get around 15% student discount - sweet.

I guess really it makes sense anyway to be purchasing a MBP when I'm enrolling in a Graphic Design course? :p

Yes, the student discounts are nice. The discount is 10% by the way, so $1800.

And I don't know if you really need a MBP for graphic design. You would only really need it for more taxing operations such as video editing. However, it would still be nice to have the extra screen space to work with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.26GHz 250G HD 4G RAM-iBook G4 14" 1.42Ghz 1.5G RAM-iPod Nano 4G-iPod Classic 120G
i thought the same thing before going to Uni at Sussex to do Product Design, "yeah ill get a mac coz their really good for design packages etc," but no lol every program we use is only available for MS!
O well, Im left with the best piece of technology Ive ever owned which in 2 years has only had one problem!
Get your MBP u lucky b*****d, im jealous!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
macbookpro08.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 80GB 2GHz 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, iPhone 4GB, iPod Classic 80GB
Is this a legit pic? I don't notice any aesthetic differences...

No, this is one persons assumption of what it might look like if it took some cues from the MBA.

Reaction score
So would it be stupid for me to buy one of these now... or wait until a few months.

Reaction score
i thought the same thing before going to Uni at Sussex to do Product Design, "yeah ill get a mac coz their really good for design packages etc," but no lol every program we use is only available for MS!
O well, Im left with the best piece of technology Ive ever owned which in 2 years has only had one problem!
Get your MBP u lucky b*****d, im jealous!

Haha, well I know you don't necessarily need a MacBook Pro for Graphic Design, but I think it'd be nice, since all the work done at the particular University I want to go to is all on Macs. Plus well, even if it wasn't, I'd still want one, I've always wanted one!! :D

OP
Sennec
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro

Looks pretty good, but he forgot the power button.
And the border around the screen should be a lot thinner.
But, we'll just have to wait xD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS

Actually i will agree and say this is what it will look like.Kind of funny.That picture that was floating around of the MBA sitting next to a regular MBP was considered a floozie , when in all actuality it was the real deal. I put nothing past apple and do believe it will look like this.There are several new patents that apple has summonsed here within the past 3 months.Only time will tell the truth....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We all know that it's but obvious...News Image

Apple's powerhorse notebook, Macbook Pro is already due for an update following recent release of Intel's penryn based mobile chipsets. Word has it that, MBP's update was delayed as Apple was getting MBA ready along with Leopard update (10.5.2).

Following are some juicy details/expected changes for upcoming Macbook Pro update:

* New Penryn based processors (2.5GHz & 2.6GHz with 6mb L2 cache). Although the "Extreme Edition" 2.8 GHz is said to be left out. Apple may or may not include this chip or keep it as exclusive option for higher end models in MBA (17" and second config of 15" model)
* 2.6GHz Penryn-based Core 2 Duo processor runs at 1.15V compared to the 1.225V of the similarly-speced Merom chip offered on existing MacBook Pros, which should translate into modest battery improvements for the new 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pros.
In a recent test run by technology publication AnandTech, a 2.6GHz Penryn-based notebook lasted an extra 55 minutes, or an increase of almost 16.5 percent in battery life over the identically configured 2.6GHz Merom-based system.
* In very much the same way that iSight video cams have become commonplace on nearly all of Apple's personal computer systems, the Mac maker will reportedly scale the gesture-based input technology across its notebook lines during the course of the year.
The next models to receive the oversized trackpads will be updated 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro models due for an introduction in the next several weeks.
Many people think that it's possible with only software update to enable multi-touch gestures on current Apple notebooks, as they already have two point recognition capabilities (two finger scrolling, panning). But it is yet to be confirmed if new MBA uses different hardware than current MB/P trackpads. So simple software update is still a remote possibility.
* MBP's video card is also likely to receive an update with new nVidia/ATi chipsets. nVidia seem to be current favorite of Apple (current MBP's uses nVidia's 8600M GT chips), as nVidia is offering extended hand to Apple in terms of software updates compared to ATi. Many (iMac) ATi users have expressed their concerns with ATi's slow driver updates for fixes and performance improvement. Current top contenders of video space in MBP are ATi's Mobility Radeon HD 3000 series (HD3400 & HD3600) and nVidia's 8800M series.

Found this. Everything sounds pretty accurate.

Just something to salivate over.

Reaction score
i doubt it will be a significant aesthetic redesign, the popularity of the current design suggests more of a bump in hardware than a complete change in looks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
well i just bought a MBP and the only thing i would like to see changed is the problem of waking up from sleep and battery life.

OP
Sennec
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I hope that 256MB VRAM becomes standard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wish, I don't want to wait much longer.

Jez

Reaction score
Anyone think it will have a new design?

Or just look like the existing design just slimmer etc.

I would love a 15inch black MBP, it would look awesome!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.