• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Next MacBook Pro update rumored to include multi-touch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 C2D Blackbook 4gb, 15" PBG4, 16GB Black iPhone, 4GB iPod Nano
awesome! I want to have this "multi-touch" macbook pro in time for college this september!

same here! I'm keeping my blackbook to lug around though... :)

I'm glad I didn't go straight to the new MBP now! :D :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 blackbook /w tiger.
Looks the same as the MBP? You may want to take a second glance ;)
Its the MacBook keyboard but in black and backlit.

OHH...ive always assumed that the macbook and macbook pro keyboards were the same and the onyl diff was the color of the keys and the backlit on the pro...

thank goodness...cuz i like my black macbook's keyboard

/////edit

oh yea, i see teh diff now....its more spaced out....nice never noticed (even when using my friends MBP)

Reaction score
How does the new touch mouse pad work compared to the current standard with regard to users that are heavily into graphic design? Does anyone find all the double-tapping, swiping, pinching and poking to be of any advantage while in graphic programs?

Reaction score
dont like the way apple didint put an cd drive into the air i
think that technology is a bit ahead of its time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
OP
Sennec
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Wednesday January 30
Mac Rumors said:
Despite persistent rumors of MacBook Pro updates, we've yet to see the rumored Penryn, Multi-touch trackpad MacBook Pro revisions. However, there appears to be ongoing evidence that the MacBook Pro updates are imminent.

The current MacBook Pros which were released in June carry a system identifier label of "MacBookPro3,1". One reader notes that an application called MiniBatteryLogger provides public battery tracking logs, and recently revealed an entry with an identifier of "MacBookPro4,1". "MacBookPro4,1" is presumably the identifier for the unreleased MacBook Pro revisions. The author of the application states that the identifier is obtained automatically from the system, though there are no guarantees that it wasn't faked.

However, this same new "MacBookPro4,1" identifier has also been found in the latest developer seeds of Mac OS X 10.5.2 from Apple. In contrast, the public version of Mac OS X 10.5.1 does not contain the "4,1" identifier.

In many ways, all this does is verify what we have presumed to be true... that MacBook Pro revisions are coming, and soon enough that the Mac OS X 10.5.2 will support them, but it's still somewhat reassuring for those waiting patiently for the new MacBook Pros.

Update: We've received confirmation that the battery log information came from an Apple IP address, so it is believed to be authentic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 blackbook /w tiger.
dont like the way apple didint put an cd drive into the air i
think that technology is a bit ahead of its time?

you gotta remember that this machine is for COMPLETE and TOTAL portability ....

you trade off power + standard usability for portability

Reaction score
Do you suspect that apple will schedule a presentation for the release of the new MBP? they have not lost the flair for drama so i would think Jobs is going to get his crew together at Cupertino for something if a new MBP is on its way, he needs to stir as much fervor as he can

Reaction score
Sweet! I was planning to buy a macbook pro, now that a new version is coming out, I'll wait longer. When I
is this expected? Sometime in febuary?

OP
Sennec
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Sweet! I was planning to buy a macbook pro, now that a new version is coming out, I'll wait longer. When I
is this expected? Sometime in febuary?

likely, yes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Dream Machine....
So has anyone heard anything concrete about the mbp update in Feb, cause I'm def buying one this month, and I'm wonderin if I should b waiting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
no nobody has heard anything...

its all rumors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Dream Machine....
Thats what I thought

It sucks because i would wait if i knew the release date

Reaction score
It sucks because i would wait if i knew the release date

I know how you feel. I'm pretty near foaming at the mouth to order my new MBP. Hopefully Apple will atleast have an announcement or press release saying when it will officially come out.

Reaction score
Yeah I hope so too. Let's be glad that we didn't buy a MBP before we heard about this... because it'll make us even more mad.

A MBP update should come since the MBP didn't have major updates since mid 2007; and it was mainly just for battery (and some space). Plus since Apple assumes that the iPod Touch-like touch pad would be a hit, it should add that function into the popular MBP, then later on probably the MacBook too.

I really want to order the new MBP.

Reaction score
maybe??!

apple could be probably planning to coincide the announcement with the release of the iPhone sdk??

Maybe?its rumoured to be releasing 29 feb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be honest i kind of trapped a Apple representative up in arms length of information.Well enough info.I called in reference to the 2-3 week time frame of waiting for the mba that i ordered last Monday.I was told i should have waited another week and a half when i asked why is there something better?She stumbled over her words and manage to compose that the mba is just now hitting some retail stores and that is why.
Then i asked her well wouldnt it be better if i wait for the new macbook pro update?
And she said "Macbook pro update?um....what macbook pro update are you referring to?"
Then i told her the Macbook pro that will be released in the latter part of this month.She did not speak good english so i would double back her words thus causing more information to slip out.
She stated in so many words that yes there is a new macbook pro but they have no clue of when it will be released to the public

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
apple could be probably planning to coincide the announcement with the release of the iPhone sdk??

Maybe?its rumoured to be releasing 29 feb

yes this is possible as well..who knows.sitting and waiting makes me feel like i am an adolescent again.Time moved sooooooo slow when there was something i wanted and i had to wait on a release date.Just think , if we were not waiting on the announcement or release of new Tech. then time would be passing along right before our eyes at blistering speeds!Last month i cant believe its over already!Well time will tell the tell huh?!!

Reaction score
She stated in so many words that yes there is a new macbook pro but they have no clue of when it will be released to the public

She might be playing the good employee and just not telling you, but I don't think a phone-rep support person would have much more info than what we already know/put together. Their job is to offer tech support for existing products, so they wouldn't be fully briefed on the new MBP until immediately before its release.

I have the sinking feeling that i'm going to end up waiting more than a month for this thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
She might be playing the good employee and just not telling you, but I don't think a phone-rep support person would have much more info than what we already know/put together. Their job is to offer tech support for existing products, so they wouldn't be fully briefed on the new MBP until immediately before its release.

I have the sinking feeling that i'm going to end up waiting more than a month for this thing.

This was not a Tech call.It was an inquiry of merchandise ordered from a Sales Rep.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.