• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New windows ad- the problem with macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Never had the beach ball for more than a few seconds. On my iBook 1.2 or new iMac.

Hmmm.... you must not be doing CPU intensive things, aye? I get it alot, and I usually do alot of CPU intensive things. ;)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If all you are doing is surfing the web and listen to music I seriously doubt you will get the beach ball.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Maybe it's just me, but I can reliably get Safari to beachball on sites with large amounts of images (e.g. here: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/).

I've tried all the usual remedies, but it'll still happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I seriously doubt that is an ad made by MS. It's absolutely terrible and obviously amateur-made.

But while we're on the subject of ads, what's up with Apple's latest ads? The two I've seen is where Apple claims MS is spending tons on ads and nothing on research. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! Apple spends loads on ads! MS has always had ad campaigns and just because they got Jerry Seinfeld to be in one when he used to be a Mac guy I guess Apple is a little made and whiney about it.

Also, the other ad where they say MS won't say Vista in ads any more is also ridiculous. One of the most recent ads MS put out, which I think is genius, is where they get regular people who think Vista is awful, even though they've never used it, to try it and find out it's really not so bad. Obviously in that one they're talking about Vista and say Vista.

I just think Apple needs to put this stupid negative ad campaign to bed. They're worse than most politicians and I'm just tired of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
What's great though, Apples ads help get them Mac sales, their ads work, they are very recognizable. Windows / MS ads do nothing, their market is the same, their products need more work. Apple has established their place, and I really don't think they have to back down. I enjoy seeing this feud. We all know who the clear winner is, so it's amusing to see MS try to top Apples creativity. I think people should quit taking them so seriously, if no one likes them anymore Apple will move on to something else.
-------

All I meant was, regular joe schmo... they don't understand OS X, it's barely a gleam in their eye, of course we Mac users are everyday people, but we are also more aware of technology and what we purchase. Whereas people buying an HP or Dell because it's pretty, they won't understand, because they have been bred on Windows, they know nothing else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook. 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 5G 30GB iPod.
I thought this was pretty funny. Haha.

I've never really ran into the 'spinning beachball of death' though, so I'm good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
This made me laugh... looks like something College Humor would do though, not Microsoft...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
its a dumb ad, nothing great about it.....

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
I seriously doubt that is an ad made by MS. It's absolutely terrible and obviously amateur-made.

I totally agree with you.
*Edit* I mean don't get me wrong, the guy getting hit on the head with a giant beach ball is funny. You can't go wrong with slapstick humor. But there are things about that commercial that make it seem really amateurish such as low lighting creating a great amount of contrast on the character's faces. The direction was a little poor cause I didn't get the sense the guy had a computer problem, it just looked like he was really busy, and secondly like people have already mentioned, only Mac OS X users would probably get the point.

All I meant was, regular joe schmo... they don't understand OS X, it's barely a gleam in their eye, of course we Mac users are everyday people, but we are also more aware of technology and what we purchase. Whereas people buying an HP or Dell because it's pretty, they won't understand, because they have been bred on Windows, they know nothing else.

I know plenty of Mac user's who own and use Macs who don't know what the difference between a GPU and CPU are. And ironically, its those same people who bought Macs because they thought Macs were 'pretty' and were convinced by the Apple ad's they've seen.
The only time you're going to have a 'pretty' HP or Dell is if you go for their flagship series such as the Blackbird by HP or the XPS by Dell. And typically people who tend to go for those machines are pretty tech savy or else they won't find a justification for spending good money on those systems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I just think Apple needs to put this stupid negative ad campaign to bed. They're worse than most politicians and I'm just tired of it.
If you lived here and had to stomach the Norm Coleman/Al Franken smear-fest you would find Apple's ads a breath of fresh air. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1.42 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, OS X 10.4
That was pretty good, I actually LOL'd on that one. :) (I get the beachball on my iBook a lot, so maybe it affects me more?)

Reaction score
lawl'd as soon as he fell over. I chuckled =]

Reaction score
lol i didnt really get it at first but over all it was pretty funny, at least to me. but i do think it was kinda lame and definitely not thought out properly. i love how someone said "Dont you think its a bit dumb to try and promote Ford by showing people driving a Honda" windows should fight back with commercials saying something GOOD about their systems.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Since when do beachballs hit that hard?!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
What a very crappy Ad.. looks like something made in the 90's.

Yeah, but made by a freshman visual design major as a beginner project.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

Come on now...You're a regular member of these forums, you should know how "hypocritical" that statement sounds.

I know people with 13" mac books that couldn't setup a router's security unless they had a cd with a program to walk them through it.

There's tech illiterate people in probably every OS group excep for the *nix camp.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Come on now...You're a regular member of these forums, you should know how "hypocritical" that statement sounds.

I know people with 13" mac books that couldn't setup a router's security unless they had a cd with a program to walk them through it.

There's tech illiterate people in probably every OS group excep for the *nix camp.

Although there's tech illiterate people in both camps, I'd be willing to bet that the larger percentage is in the Windows camp. I say this because many of us (at least those of us who've "switched") had already used Windows and made an informed decision to switch. On the flip side, many of those in the Windows camp have only ever used Windows and only have an anecdotal understanding of what a Mac is, but would never consider anything else. In that respect, Ghostshadow's point is well taken.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.