• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New windows ad- the problem with macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro - 2.8 - 4 gigs - lots of programs - lots of media
Haha, I like it. Finally they've got a good return to the I'm a Mac ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Although there's tech illiterate people in both camps, I'd be willing to bet that the larger percentage is in the Windows camp. I say this because many of us (at least those of us who've "switched") had already used Windows and made an informed decision to switch. On the flip side, many of those in the Windows camp have only ever used Windows and only have an anecdotal understanding of what a Mac is, but would never consider anything else. In that respect, Ghostshadow's point is well taken.

True, but a generalization like that, especially saying that windows people who are tech illiterate buy computers because they're pretty doesn't hold water.

Apple is similar to Harley Davidson in marketing as they market more based on feelings and a look/culture rather than pure specs alone like most Japanese manufactures.

Owning a dell isn't like owning an Apple. It's not exclusive and up until recently they, and other manufactures, didn't have much variation in designs and definitely not in the cheaper systems. You don't hear about dell fans and hp fans and sony fans and acer fans and e-machine fans like you hear about Apple fans.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
True, but a generalization like that, especially saying that windows people who are tech illiterate buy computers because they're pretty doesn't hold water.

My point exactly.
Typically many of the tech illiterate people I know don't care about how their computer(s) look like, in many cases they just want something that'll let them check their email, surf the web, and get their school work done.

In a way, Ghost's statement about OS X being just a little gleam in the corner of their eyes does have some weight to it. If you don't really care about computers, there's no reason to get into the nitty gritty of how computers work and so on. They just need something to get their tasks done and if Window's does that just fine for them, there's no reason for them to look into OS X unless curiosity is really scratching the tips of their heels.

But then again, if practicality is the only thing a person is going for in a computer, they probably wouldn't be too caught up on cosmetics but would probably be content with the generic looking computers with standard configurations offered by Dell or HP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, 500 Gb HDD
Wow, hahaha i have to admit, that ad was really really funny. Now there is a commercial id laugh at if i seen it on tv. But yea, its basically a laugh for the osx addicts. No one else will really know whats going on lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.