New Ink Jet Printer Needed - Sorry - Hear the Moans Already!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
PS: what brand and model printer is it that you have that is not feeding the paper properly???

Have you tried soaking a sheet of paper in Isopropanol Alcohol and feeding it through the printer a few times???
The idea is to remove any old residue from the rollers and the pickup pads.

- Patrick
=======

Canon Pixma MG6650

Tackled it again today. First thing, I managed a paper jam but sorted that; in process switched off and on and turned it upside down a few times , released lower casing - and it deigned to print a page. Now managed to print off the label I wanted in the first place. Looked perfectly clean inside, no mess of ink, dust or fluff. Please keep fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Canon Pixma MG6650

Tackled it again today. First thing, I managed a paper jam but sorted that; in process switched off and on and turned it upside down a few times , released lower casing - and it deigned to print a page. Now managed to print off the label I wanted in the first place. Looked perfectly clean inside, no mess of ink, dust or fluff. Please keep fingers crossed.

It sounds like it just needed some exercise and wanted to get tossed around a bit. Sort of like some people suffering from COVID restrictions and non-activity.

Let's hope it keeps working properly.

Now, if only I can find a solution to get our wireless Airprint Canon Pixma MX 922 working again with our network that quit when our ISP replaced our modem with a "better one", a Hitron CODA-4582 modem.

Now I can't get it working with any of our iDevice Apple products, yet it was working just fine with the old model modem and an Apple Express.

It's been a real PITA, frustrating waste of time, and I have to wait until Thursday to see if the ISP tech can get things working as they used to. At least our iMacs are working and can print and scan.

Their new setup even screwed up the wireless music setup we used with an Apple Express to our Yamaha stereo, but with my son's help, we made a workaround fix for that.

Maybe they could just put the older router back. At least everything worked but the Internet speed was handicapped and was quite noticeable.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Maybe they could just put the older router back. At least everything worked but the Internet speed was handicapped and was quite noticeable.

I don't know what it is about some of these ISPs. My ISP also replaced our router a while back stating that it was needed for the newer high speeds. What new higher speeds? I still have the same speed and the newer router does not have the same range that the older one had.

I probably could bridge it with my own router to get better range but I've been too lazy to go thru all the setup stuff again especially with our two wireless printers.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
JUST A FOLLOW-UP ON MY CANON PIXMA MX922!

This morning, I decided to test the printing after my 'potential recovery'? Updated the firmware (from 1.x to 3.x - probably never did it initially or checked?) and put in a yellow cartridge - would not print certain text files, especially PAGES (which Susan uses the most, so important); indeed, a PAGES file from my iPad via AirPrint also would not print (did so to the Brother laser) - decided this printer is a goner (BUT nearly 8 years of use).

What to buy at a decent price - son has a Canon TR8520 (update to my printer apparently) and has not had a problem - Amazon MP had these for $249 (a really escalated price as Randy discussed in another ongoing 'printer thread'); so went to an old standby, B&H Photo in NYC - well, they had it for the price shown w/ free shipping - used PayPal and had $20 credit, so $159 for me.

Question about the Canon warranties offered (see 2nd pic) - would anyone buy in? My son will respond in an email and knowing him, unlikely. Dave :)

P.S. as to the MX922 ink cartridges, I have 2 'new' blacks (one of each size) and could pull all from the printer (yellow is new) and ship to someone nearby (continental USA) who is still using this machine - send me a PM if interested. The old printer will likely go to Best Buy (along w/ a pile of other accumulating items) for recycling.

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 11.10.20 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 12.05.17 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What to buy at a decent price - son has a Canon TR8520 (update to my printer apparently) and has not had a problem - Amazon MP had these for $249 (a really escalated price as Randy discussed in another ongoing 'printer thread');

What a bargain...!!! :rolleyes:
And if you think that was bad, try the sticker shocker price that was one of the options at amazon.ca.

Brand: Canon
4.4 out of 5 stars 378 ratings
Price: CDN$ 599.99 + CDN$ 16.68 shipping

I think it might have some gold plated trim or something to get the price up to that point!!! Crazy!!!

At least there are some options at a cheaper price for the same model:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08FF2X3PV/

It certainly pays to shop around. ?

BTW: Those prices are in Canadian dollars!!!

- Patrick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What to buy at a decent price - son has a Canon TR8520 (update to my printer apparently) and has not had a problem - Amazon MP had these for $249 (a really escalated price as Randy discussed in another ongoing 'printer thread'); so went to an old standby, B&H Photo in NYC - well, they had it for the price shown w/ free shipping - used PayPal and had $20 credit, so $159 for me.

Price gouging without a doubt. I purchased my Canon TR8520 early last year from B&H for $129.95 with free shipping.

The TR8620 seems to be an updated version of the TR8520. I'm wondering what has changed from last year? Anyway the price seems to be okay if you can get it for $159 and free shipping. B&H is charging state sales tax unless you use their credit card. If you use their credit card, they will rebate the sales tax as a credit to the card.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Price gouging without a doubt. I purchased my Canon TR8520 early last year from B&H for $129.95 with free shipping.

The TR8620 seems to be an updated version of the TR8520. I'm wondering what has changed from last year? Anyway the price seems to be okay if you can get it for $159 and free shipping. B&H is charging state sales tax unless you use their credit card. If you use their credit card, they will rebate the sales tax as a credit to the card.

Hi Charlie - you have the same model as my son - the one I ordered is the upgrade - have not compared the specs to answer your question, but what I will miss is the ability to print directly to CD-Rs, although I'm buying much fewer MP3 musical DLs, so not a big deal (AND not planning to go back to paper labels!).

As to the pricing (w/ my PayPal $20 credit), I was happy, although NC taxes were applied (about $12) which I don't mind supporting my own state (which I had not done ordering on Amazon these many past years) - BUT I do hate getting new IJ printers - the reviews are always so variable - just hope that I get a winner?

BTW - did you get a Canon warranty? I'm sure my son did not but he has not responded to my email - I have 90 days to decide so no hurry - just w/ these particular machines, a DUD seems to be a more likely possibility? Over the years I must say that my Epson dot matrix & HP 4P laser were my best printers for long lasting reliability (and even had a Brother daisy wheel as a 2nd printer w/ the Epson until the IJs appeared). Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW - did you get a Canon warranty?

No, I did not purchase the extended warranty. Over the years with the many printers I have gone through, I have never purchased an extended warranty for them. Canon warrants their printers for one year from the date of the purchase. After that you're on your own. :)

Reaction score
A year ago, my Canon PIXMA MX922 died and I shopped for a replacement, but reviews for any given printer are all over the map, so I couldn't be sure what I'd be getting if I bought something else. Therefore, even though my original was $119 many years ago, I bit the bullet and paid $250 from a third party online for another 922 because I know and love this printer.
The multi-sheet feeder -- for scanning or printing -- is great, the printer is a fast color copier, and wireless printing from my Mac, my iPhone, and my iPad is supported. Plus, I can print labels directly on CDs and DVDs with beautiful results; I use Disc Cover 3 from BeLight Software to create the labels.
Looks like the price is well above $300 now, but that would be worth it to me considering the year-round use I give this printer.
BTW, OfficeWorld Compatible Ink (from Amazon, e.g.) works just fine instead of the ridiculously priced Canon original cartridges.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A year ago, my Canon PIXMA MX922 died and I shopped for a replacement, ...

Hmmm...??? Being the owner of just such a printer, I'm a bit concerned by the number of posts here by similar users that have had their google speak for lunch die on them, and I guess my turn will come up when mine dies as well.

What was the main failure problem, or did the printer just up and die???

Ours has been in use since the summer of 2017, and I don't know what the life expectancy is or what the cause of the failures are, but I would be interested to know what others' experience has been.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
A year ago, my Canon PIXMA MX922 died and I shopped for a replacement, but reviews for any given printer are all over the map, so I couldn't be sure what I'd be getting if I bought something else. Therefore, even though my original was $119 many years ago, I bit the bullet and paid $250 from a third party online for another 922 because I know and love this printer.

The MX-922 is a fantastic device. (I own one!) But it was discontinued over a year ago. So what you purchased was a new-old stock version, and you over-paid for it.

Canon replaced the MX-922 with the Canon PIXMA TR8520. It was just recently discontinued.

The latest in the logical line of succession is the Canon PIXMA TR8620
$180

The user reviews on the Canon Web site aren't uniformly good. However, if you read them they are mostly users being ludicrously picky. The biggest complaint is that this device is more compact than the MX-922, but that the front door has to be folded down when used. It's hard to be sympathetic for that sort of complaint.

BTW, OfficeWorld Compatible Ink (from Amazon, e.g.) works just fine instead of the ridiculously priced Canon original cartridges.

Here is the best price that I've found for ink cartridges for the Canon PIXMA TR8620 from a known high quality source and for "super high yield" cartridges:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The MX-922 is a fantastic device. (I own one!)

And so do I. And so far it has been great, even if a bit on the large size, at least compared to what I have been used to over the years.

But I am not looking forward to the day when it may fail beyond repair, as I may not be as lucky to find a replacement on super sale as I did with this Canon printer.

And one of the major complaints I have about shopping for a printer is the companies' lack of easy to find information about each printer and what the various model names and numbers may represent and their lack of a proper comparison chart, at least of basic features.

BTW: for my most recent inkjet cartridge purchases (2019) I have been very happy with the ink I purchased
from Pan Continent Inc. - PrintOxe. https://printoxe.com/

ie:
]Canon PGI-250 & CLI-251 Compatible Ink Cartridges With/Without Grey × 1
(3 Sets-No Grey-15 Cartridges) $21.96 CDN Free Shipping[/TD]

And these are all High Capacity XXL Cartridges...!!! A pretty darn good price for a good quality product I'd say. ;)

EDIT: I just noted their price is now $29.95 CDN for the same 3-set package. Still a pretty darn good price.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
Reaction score
But I am not looking forward to the day when it may fail beyond repair, as I may not be as lucky to find a replacement on super sale as I did with this Canon printer.

If your MX-922 lives past this coming year, I think that once COVID has passed and fewer and fewer folks need to work from home, that prices for home computing equipment and peripherals will go back down.

It's interesting that very recently the best place to shop for a Canon printer and be able to find it in stock, and for the best price, has been Canon's Web site. (Not Amazon.) I suspect that Canon has realized that they can make a lot more money during COVID by selling mostly direct.

And one of the major complaints I have about shopping for a printer is the companies' lack of easy to find information about each printer and what the various model names and numbers may represent and their lack of a proper comparison chart, at least of basic features.

I know, right? It's maddening.

I'm especially disappointed in Brother. They had the best Web site of all the printer manufacturers for comparing models and making a choice. So, what did they do? They redesigned their Web site, and now they are THE WORST site for comparing models.

BTW: for my most recent inkjet cartridge purchases (2019) I have been very happy with the ink I purchased
from Pan Continent Inc. - PrintOxe. https://printoxe.com/

Neat! They have excellent prices, and free shipping to the U.S. Plus, they are located in Canada, so now I finally have a place that sells printer consumables to recommend to folks in Canada. (Most such places in the U.S. don't want to ship to Canada.) I can't wait to try them out! THANKS Patrick!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Neat! They have excellent prices, and free shipping to the U.S. Plus, they are located in Canada, so now I finally have a place that sells printer consumables to recommend to folks in Canada. (Most such places in the U.S. don't want to ship to Canada.) I can't wait to try them out! THANKS Patrick!

Gee, thanks Randy, strange but I hadn't even realized that they were a Canadian and Canada-based company.

And in case some non-Canadians visit their site, don't get scared off by some of the language or the phrases they use.

Think of us as your next-door neighbours in Canada that want to give you the quality you deserve, while still saving you multiple (A LOT more than] loonies and toonies for your timmies the next morning.

For those who don't know, Loonies and Toonies are the nicknames for our $1 and $2 Canadian currency coins, and timmies Is the slang for the Canadian soup and donut type shop, Tim Hortons.

Now back to your printer an inkjet cartridge subject thread...

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
My Canon Pixma reverted to paper problems and I started looking for a replacement. One last google search brought up the following - AND IT WORKED! As he says - how many Canon Pixma printers have been consigned to the scrapheap for the need of a simple fix? Needless to say, I had the sponges under the kitchen sink. I found the photos a bit confusing until I realised I needed printer on its side then all looked exactly the same.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Canon Pixma reverted to paper problems and I started looking for a replacement. One last google search brought up the following - AND IT WORKED! As he says - how many Canon Pixma printers have been consigned to the scrapheap for the need of a simple fix? Needless to say, I had the sponges under the kitchen sink. I found the photos a bit confusing until I realised I needed printer on its side then all looked exactly the same..............

Congrats Sue - my new Canon TR8620 arrived and was an easy and quick setup - the 'wireless' configuration worked fine (believe that the Apple Bonjour protocols have improved since my last attempts at printer installations!) - I got 8 years out of the old Canon Pixma - now boxed up and ready to take into Best Buy for recycling (along w/ a bunch of other recyclables that they will accept) - Dave :)

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The MX-922 is a fantastic device. (I own one!) But it was discontinued over a year ago. So what you purchased was a new-old stock version, and you over-paid for it.

Canon replaced the MX-922 with the Canon PIXMA TR8520. It was just recently discontinued.

The latest in the logical line of succession is the Canon PIXMA TR8620
$180

The user reviews on the Canon Web site aren't uniformly good. However, if you read them they are mostly users being ludicrously picky. The biggest complaint is that this device is more compact than the MX-922, but that the front door has to be folded down when used. It's hard to be sympathetic for that sort of complaint.

Here is the best price that I've found for ink cartridges for the Canon PIXMA TR8620 from a known high quality source and for "super high yield" cartridges:

Thanks Randy for your additional input - if you looked at my previous posts, I did purchase the PIXMA TR8620 - have done a few scans, copies, and both B&W/Color printing - working fine w/ a Wi-Fi connection. No major complaints at the moment - lifting the front panel up becomes routine, allowing the paper to emerge. Minor complaint which seems to be part of the design of most recent printers that I've owned, i.e. the lower paper tray lays on the table and the grab slot is easily obscured by 'stuff' put in front of the printer (seems unavoidable w/ my wife!); SO, I made a 1" riser from scrap wood in my shop which lifts the slot up and is now easily seen and used.

Concerning the 'expensive' Canon ink, I've had some 'bad' experiences w/ 3rd party inks in the past and stick to the Canon originals despite their cost - we've minimize our purchases by rarely using color (the Brother laser sees much more activity) - but looking at your recommendation (top image below) - $50 for a 5-pack saves about $12 from the Amazon Canon offering - guess that if I were replacing these every 2 months, then worth the savings (and the reviews are quite positive on the LD website) - have you had any issues w/ that brand? Thanks again. Dave
Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 10.51.59 AM.png

Reaction score
Concerning the 'expensive' Canon ink, I've had some 'bad' experiences w/ 3rd party inks in the past and stick to the Canon originals despite their cost - we've minimize our purchases by rarely using color ...

I've had horrible experiences with ink from third parties too. Mostly all from Amazon merchants. Absolute rubbish. So I never purchase ink cartridges from Amazon.

When you have a color printer, you should be able to print in color anytime you want to. Otherwise your printer is just an expensive piece of junk. I get high quality ink at extremely low prices, and I print in color with impunity as a result, and love it. Here's how I do it...

I've been keeping a database of places that sell compatible ink cartridges for inkjet printers, that other users have reported that they have had excellent success with, for decades now. And I've tried each one. So at this point I know of several places that are extremely reliable, have excellent quality, and very reasonable prices. All of these places have prices that are not only a fraction of OEM prices, but with some you can subscribe to their mailing list and once or twice a year they have a sale *on top of their already low prices*. (As much as 20% off!!!) That's when I stock up for the year.

Here are four excellent places to get compatible, brand-new, high quality, inkjet cartridges. You can check the prices at all four for your model of inkjet printer and be confident that the one with the lowest price is the best choice:

http://www.swiftink.com/

Caveat/disclaimer: Sometimes vendors will ship you a defective cartridge. It's rare but it happens. It even happens with OEM cartridges. (I've actually had it happen more often with OEM cartridges than third party cartridges.) If you are the sort who will lose your mind if you get a defective cartridge, and blame me, and be very cross at ME, then I implore you, PLEASE ignore this entire post and only purchase OEM stuff.

Reaction score
One additional note. When shopping for cartridges, be sure that you are comparing exactly the same things. Canon cartridges sometimes come in two or three capacities. An XXL cartridge is not that same as a standard size cartridge. (An additional confounding factor is that third parties often put much more ink in a standard capacity cartridge than you would find in an OEM standard capacity cartridge.) So you may want to do a bit of experimenting in your orders.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.