New Ink Jet Printer Needed - Sorry - Hear the Moans Already!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If you are the sort who will lose your mind if you get a defective cartridge, and blame me, and be very cross at ME, then I implore you, PLEASE ignore this entire post and only purchase OEM stuff.

LOL... I guess that's a fair disclosure. :rolleyes:

I think I have had maybe one single third-party Inkjet cartridge out of all the ones I have purchased over the years, and when I emailed them as to their policy, the next thing I knew there was a replacement cartridge in our mailbox about a day or two later. That was a Canadian-based third-party inkjet supplier by the way.

BTW: several years ago, I had one lady admonish me for publicly suggesting the use of third-party inkjet cartridges and I asked her if she had any experience with them. Her answer was negative but she added that the "genuine" OEM cartridges we're much better because they cost a lot more.

And yes, there are such people that will believe that is the case and are convinced that is the actual case.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Her answer was negative but she added that the "genuine" OEM cartridges we're much better because they cost a lot more.

And yes, there are such people that will believe that is the case and are convinced that is the actual case.

You would be surprised at the number of folks who think that way. A good example is most major food chain supermarkets here in the US carry their own brand of certain foods such as coffee, frozen items, etc.

Most people don't know that those supermarket brands are actually rebranded products by the same major suppliers, the only difference is that the brand from the major supplier costs twice as much. :)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Just on the theme, my wife went to use our Epson L360 Printer Scanner two days back. Had not used it since we returned from our extended (lock down) stay in Australia. In that time we also updated to Big Sur on both our primary devices. It would not work with either, yes, I can identify with the groans.
Neither offered to download drivers via update from Apple so I resolved to check with Epson (USA). A search for our device on their site turned up only similar model numbers of more recent models and their driver list only went as far as macOS Catalina. Another groan here. Undaunted I did a web search for the device plus Big Sur and up came Epson (India). Went to that site and here was a whole page on Big Sur Support along with Printer and Scanner drivers for download. Downloaded just the printer driver to both our MBP's and complete success.
What releif that was. This Printer Scanner is an Ink Tank model, hard to find generally but ideal for Bali and works like a dream. I certainly did not want to consider replacement any time soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Ask me why I think that such a disclosure is necessary. :rolleyes:

I am quite sure the reasons would be very similar to some of the stories I hear from my brother-in-law Canadian lawyer, but maybe they are not quite as extreme as the American's typical suing behaviour stories. ;)

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with my being an attorney. I've been on Macintosh discussion lists where someone has gotten a bad cartridge and they had a fit like a spoiled child and blamed me for it.

It's especially petty, because in many cases, if you purchase third party cartridges, the savings are such that if you purchase several cartridges, and you get a bad cartridge, you are still money ahead over having purchased OEM cartridges.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.