Most annoying thing about Mac OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I don't like when I'm browsing through folders and I go into a directory to see whats in it and then I hit back, and it will jump you to the top of the previous directory you were in. That is the most annoying thing to me, I want to hit back and have it put me back where I was before I entered the new directory.

I don't get the big deal with "cut and paste" - You can do it, some applications vary. Copy and paste is the same thing, except it doesn't remove the item you're copying.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
You CAN Cut and Paste text. But not applications or files. :\

Yeah that will lead to my harddisk filling up 3x as fast because im too lazy to go back and delete the old file after its copied...

Reaction score
For me the Cut/Paste thing is huge.

So is the "hit enter to rename a file instead of open it". Last night I tried hitting every possible combination of keys (apple+return, apple+option+return, fnc+return, etc, etc) to launch a file, but no luck.

I also am not crazy about the thumbnail support. I really liked how big I could make the thumbnails in Vista - it was VERY easy to change the size of thumbnails. I'm trying to just forget thumbnails though and use iPhoto more though.

Other annoyances: I've actually had quite a few crashes with my brand new MacBook Pro. I tried to install "Uno" and it didn't work properly, so I uninstalled it. After that for whatever reason iTunes no longer worked. I had to uninstall (i.e. delete) it and then re-download/reinstall. I'd say compared to my Vista/XP machines, I've had about 5x the problems. Every day I've had my computer (about a week now) AT LEAST a few applications crash. Firefox, Safari, iTunes, etc. This is after a fresh install of OSX. On my Vista machine (which is now sold) I don't think I ever had a single application crash on me in the 3 months I owned it. Don't get me wrong, I'm now firmly (2300$ worth) a Mac user, but I was a little (read: lot) disappointed with the stability of the system thus far.

Also the focus of windows sometimes annoys me. I'll be downloading something in firefox, and when the "where do you want to download this file" dialog pops up, it ends up being BEHIND windows, instead of in front. So I end up having to epose to find the dialog that should be up front.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Yeah that will lead to my harddisk filling up 3x as fast because im too lazy to go back and delete the old file after its copied...

Just drag files with the mouse, that will move them if they are dropped onto the same volume. And it's "I'm," not "im".

The most annoying factor for me is Finder switching the view settings while navigating between folders. Whoever decided that obviously doesn't actually use Finder themselves - I'm thinking of buying PathFinder just because of this alone.

Other than that, OSX is great - it stays out of the way and lets me get on with things.

Reaction score
shoelessone i think you should take you macbook pro to the apple store and tell them this and you might have to exchange it for a different one

Reaction score
shoelessone i think you should take you macbook pro to the apple store and tell them this and you might have to exchange it for a different one

I might do that at somepoint, for now I really think that it's a software thing.

The truth is I've spent so many years of my life (and so many days of so many years) on windows machines, I just have a better feel for how to manage them. I'm going to wait until I get a feel for my Mac before I worry too much about it.

Oh, one other annoyance: I figured that reinstalling OSX from the OSX DVD would leave me WITHOUT the aperature demo, Word 2004 demo, etc. I was a bit annoyed to see the shareware was actually installed with the new install.

Oh, also, on a slight side note, I'm (no offense to anybody here) a bit tired of hearing people talk about how they don't get viruses all the time on their Macs. I probably spend a good 4 hours EASY each day on my computer (a lot more if you include word). In my 8+ years using PCs, I 1. never once used any anti-virus software (too much bloat for me), and I've also never gotten a virus. Or if I have, then I really haven't cared because I didn't notice. Chances are if you were/are getting a ton of viruses on your windows machine you are doing something wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Some of my MBP's keys are crooked. Like they tilt one way or another. It's visible and it's not very professional looking.

Reaction score
That seems like something that the Apple store would actually fix/replace for you? That would drive me crazy I think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Oh, also, on a slight side note, I'm (no offense to anybody here) a bit tired of hearing people talk about how they don't get viruses all the time on their Macs. I probably spend a good 4 hours EASY each day on my computer (a lot more if you include word). In my 8+ years using PCs, I 1. never once used any anti-virus software (too much bloat for me), and I've also never gotten a virus. Or if I have, then I really haven't cared because I didn't notice. Chances are if you were/are getting a ton of viruses on your windows machine you are doing something wrong.

That's sort of like saying, "I'm a bit tired of people telling me about how people don't get diseases when they have safe sex. I've been having unprotected sex for years, and I've never gotten a disease. Chances are if you were/are infected with an STD, you are having sex with the wrong sort of people."

It may be true, but it's a generally problematic way to go about things for all sorts of reasons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
That seems like something that the Apple store would actually fix/replace for you? That would drive me crazy I think.

That's what I'm hoping. I bought it as a refurb, but it came new in the original box. Some one said it was a possible mass return from some place like best buy.

The power button has also dropped half way down into the laptop case. I need to get this fixed as well. My problem is I can't really ship it off without major inconvenience as we use it for logic in my studio. They said I could schedule an appointment and take it into the local mac store....which is about 100 miles away. I just have to find a day to do it. It's not too bad though as my friend lives about 10 minutes so I have a place to crash for the weekend and his little brother works at the mac store.

Reaction score
That's sort of like saying, "I'm a bit tired of people telling me about how people don't get diseases when they have safe sex. I've been having unprotected sex for years, and I've never gotten a disease. Chances are if you were/are infected with an STD, you are having sex with the wrong sort of people."

It may be true, but it's a generally problematic way to go about things for all sorts of reasons.

well, I agree, except I was bring it up to make a point about something else. In the end though, this is the wrong thread to do so in so I appologize :)

Reaction score
That's what I'm hoping. I bought it as a refurb, but it came new in the original box. Some one said it was a possible mass return from some place like best buy.

The power button has also dropped half way down into the laptop case. I need to get this fixed as well. My problem is I can't really ship it off without major inconvenience as we use it for logic in my studio. They said I could schedule an appointment and take it into the local mac store....which is about 100 miles away. I just have to find a day to do it. It's not too bad though as my friend lives about 10 minutes so I have a place to crash for the weekend and his little brother works at the mac store.

Yeah, same situation here. Minus the "logic in the studio" part, plus the "need a computer and my headless windows server is in my closet and I don't feel like messing around with it so my MBP is it". I live around 2 hours from the closest apple store :(.

Reaction score
Ditto cut & pasting of files. And I'd like a minimize all (meaning all programs). I didn't have a need for this until recently when I dl a whole bunch of random wav samples to my desktop. I wanted to organize them in the appropriate folders but I would either have to:

Manually minimize all programs and start dragging

Or: actually access the desktop through finder. That works fine but it's not really the most immediate logical way to do it. I can't wait for Spaces, this will be a good enough workaround (and I don't really feel like installing 3rd party apps to do this, I can wait).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Oh, one other annoyance: I figured that reinstalling OSX from the OSX DVD would leave me WITHOUT the aperature demo, Word 2004 demo, etc. I was a bit annoyed to see the shareware was actually installed with the new install.

When you do the install there is an option in there that will allow you set what Apps will get installed off the disc. I just did his last week when I did a clean install of 10.4 on my wife's old iMac that my youngest is now using. I didn't want a bunch of the garbage, so I just unchecked it.

No Cut & Paste?

Huh?

No Cut & Paste ???

How can that be?

Uhhh..because Apple didn't implement it. This isn't Windows, stop expecting it to be,

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
what do you mean?

can i copy off a webpage and paste onto a word processor?

Yes. You can copy and paste anywhere, just not CUT and paste.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

I've never had a Windows virus in equally as long, if not longer, but that doesn't give me the right to belittle other people's problems with them. Some people are targets for viruses and spyware simply because of what they use their computers for. Not everyone who gets viruses and malware visits pr0n and warez sites all day, and not everyone has the technical expertise that I do to be able to avoid them.

Viruses are a threat to people regardless of their knowledge and if you've managed to avoid them then good for you, but don't knock others who have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.