Just Got Home!

Reaction score
I just found out from an Arstechnica review, that the iMac's 1Gb of DDR2, comes in the form of just ONE 1Gb stick, leaving an empty slot (and making an upgrade to 2Gb a bit cheaper!).

I'm not doubting your intelligence regarding the non-stick of the remote, but did you try bottom right hand side?. This is the normal magnet location. :)

[EDIT]

specs947Z.png

OP
Joe Diver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.
LOL...yeah I tried all over it.

Can you pop in a 2Gb stick to upgrade to 3gb or do they have to both be the same size?

I just found out from an Arstechnica review, that the iMac's 1Gb of DDR2, comes in the form of just ONE 1Gb stick, leaving an empty slot (and making an upgrade to 2Gb a bit cheaper!).

I'm not doubting your intelligence regarding the non-stick of the remote, but did you try bottom right hand side?. This is the normal magnet location. :)

[EDIT]

specs947Z.png

Reaction score
You can put ANY DDR2 667Mhz SODIMM in it (I recommend CRUCIAL - SO cheap and tested fully). You can have:

1Gb (2x512Mb or 1x1Gb), 1.5Gb(1x1Gb and 1x512Mb), 2Gb(2x1Gb or 1x2Gb), 2.5Gb(1x2Gb and 1x512Mb), 3Gb(1x1Gb and 1x2Gb)and finally 4Gb (2x2Gb).

Pairs of matching ram, of identical type and size, are best for optimum performance.

Hope that clarifies it!.

You *COULD* also (if you were mad) use 256Mb/512Mb SODIMM combinations... but noone will do (I hope!!)

Reaction score
I'm considering buying the twenty incher, extremely seriously. So - how have your first few days been, with the love of your life :D

I'm gonna go and have a PROPER long fiddle about, at my local Mactailer in Leicester, later today. Don't much fancy being squashed to death at an overcrowded Apple store - not in the summer hols, ta very much!.

I'm impressed that the iMac uses an LCD that _is_ 16.7m colours, and not verging on the edge of the whole debate, that is the argument about the MacBook Pro's 6 bit panels. I have been at a friends house tonight, setting up Elgato "EyeTV" on his iMac twenty four inch - (3rd Gen) - the pic is amazing.

Went to setup his MacBook Pro. Is it JUST me, or do the 15.4 inch screens tend to leave one feeling a little disappointed (could be that I was used to the 24 inch, that I'd just come off, 2 mins beforehand).

MacBook Pro and iMac - different machines for different circumstances indeed, but I cannot help feeling like I am getting MUCH better value, in an iMac.

"horses for courses" I suppose... just make mine a BIGGG horse please, for my £800 notes! ;)

Reaction score
One thing that turns me off about the new imacs is they come with the new keyboard, I'd much rather the older version =/

I was able to play with one today and I wish they hadn't of changed them or would have kept the old design.

OP
Joe Diver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.
So - how have your first few days been, with the love of your life :D

So far I'm really enjoying it. The iMac is very intuitive and very easy to pick up on. There's still a few things I have yet to wean myself from on my PC, but that's just a matter of time, like a few days, once I get around to it:

Dreamweaver - I use this to manage my webs and storage space. I'm not by any means a serious web developer and my personal webspace is simplistic and more a file repository for image upload and linking, like I posted images in this thread. I need to mess with iWeb and see if it'll do what I need it to do and let me manage multiple web spaces. I don't want to have to drop $$ on the Mac version of Dreamweaver.

Media Center - This is for my Xbox360, so it can play my music files on my entertainment center. Parallels will probably be the solution for this unless I find another way.

Digital Camera - My stoopid camera is so old....I need a new one really. My iPhone takes better pictures. The iMac just won't see it and it's USB.

I've installed some of my favorites: Firefox, Tbird, Gimpshop, Limewire....and a couple of new ones: MactheRipper and Handbrake. I went ahead and paid the $79 for iWork08 as the trial version of Pages would not let me save/print...well worth the $$ and I'm very happy with Pages. It will do everything I need a word processor to do, and more.

My favorite part of the new iMac so far is Terminal. I enabled the root account (I simply must have full power) and have been exploring the system to get a handle on things. I kinda wish I had a say in the filesystem layout as I tend to prefer putting some things on their own partition rather than everything under /, but I can work with this. BSD is nice, it's not Solaris, but I can deal with it and all my usual stuff is there so I can get into the iMac's head, so to speak.

Getting all my files over from the PC was really easy. I just shared My Documents and a few other folders, then mounted them up on the iMac and copied over evereything, putting it where it needed to go....importing into iTunes and iPhoto as needed...etc. Getting my Outlook moved over to Mail was a bit trickier, but I used the Netscape7 cheat and got everything moved. Getting everything over, or "moving in" so to speak, only took a couple of days to make sure I got everything.

So, at this point I'm 99% on the iMac full time and I can't wait for the day I can wipe/sell that buggy HP. This new computer is perfect for my personal needs and I'm very happy I've switched.

Reaction score
Love the twenty inches of goodness!. I had another session with iMac today, in my local "Mactailer". Wow - love em!.

:D

Now... the small matter of £799 :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz C2D, 2Gb, 160Gb 256Mb Vram, OSX Leopard!, ViewSonic 20" Widescreen TFT
Unlokia, I have seen it too, and they are willing to go down with the ship if

deemed necessary. The Linux and open source crusade is admirable, I truly

believe that. It has not, however, progressed beyond a hobbyist level. It is

a real pain to set up and support, in spite of it's inherent stability. Linux is

clearly still just for geeks, and not ready for the larger market. No amount

of bitterness and shouting from the Linux community will change that. I think

that the complexity of it all helps them justify their own existence, being

"tweak-o-philes" and all.

Not True. I am a Java developer for a Large Motoring publication in the UK and we run the website on Sun Opteron machines all running Red Hat Enterprise. the stability is excellent.

Linux is a very capable OS both in the Home and the Workplace. The Open Source community has done a fantastic job. I'd much rather use it than Windows.

But id much rather run OSX than Linux :D

Reaction score
See, I'm on the fence about that keyboard. It's exactly the same as my Macbook keyboard, just not attached to a Macbook. I don't mind using my Macbook keyboard during the day when I don't have my now old-school Apple wireless bluetooth keyboard, but I don't know that I'd be able to use that style of keyboard all the time.
I'm hearing that part of the advantage of the new keyboard is how low it is. Apparently it will cause less strain on the wrists since your hands don't need to angle up.

Aside from the keys themselves do you notice any difference in your wrists?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.