Just Got Home!

TWM

Reaction score
I believe he may have gone to the Apple store himself and got one there.

Well, after lurking here for a while since I decided to switch, I just got back from the Apple Store with my new 24" iMac! I've been waiting somewhat patiently for today, and after multiple calls to the store the FedEx truck finally arrived.

Here's the new iMac ready to be unboxed:

Maybe the fed ex guy went to the store for him???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8ghz iMac 24" 4gbRAM 750gbHD + 650gbExternalHD + 22" LCD
I was wondering whether or not apple could top the present design of the imacs, and they have easily. It's gorgeous.
That keyboard is too I just hope it isnt too annoying to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I went out with my brother today to the Apple Store and picked up the new iMac. I have to agree, it's absolutely gorgeous and very sexy. My dad has three computers but he was asking my brother to add an account for him on the iMac :p

I really like the new keyboard, though I guess I'm a bit biased because I REALLY hated the previous design. Though the Mighty Mouse re-affirmed my hatred for the dang thing....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PM G4 Dual 867, 1gb, 160gb
Well, after lurking here for a while since I decided to switch, I just got back from the Apple Store with my new 24" iMac! I've been waiting somewhat patiently for today, and after multiple calls to the store the FedEx truck finally arrived.

Here's the new iMac ready to be unboxed:

Maybe the fed ex guy went to the store for him???

I think he was waiting for the FedEx truck to deliver them to the Apple store.

OP
Joe Diver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.
Yes, I went to my local Apple store in Southlake Town Center....it's pretty neat place for sure. I got my iPhone there too a couple of weeks ago.

I finally isolated the true cause of my iTunes duplicates.....seems there was also an iTunes directory within my Music dir that had a copy of everything, so when I chose the parent it grabbed everything underneath, hence the duplicates.

BTW - I can't believe I haven't switched before this. I'm a Unix analyst by trade and make my living from Solaris and AIX....soon as I opened a terminal and saw Darwin was a BSD port....I can't tell you how happy that made me. I already know more under the hood of this iMac than I ever did about my PC. I knew OSX was based on Unix but I'd never really taken a look before.

Reaction score
Slightly off-topic here, and this is not intended to flame anyone, but I'm curious as to this weird use of the word "dang" by our American friends. Is it somehow meant to soften the impact of the word "d4mn"?. I think the word "d4mn" is a horrible word - more so if you actually know its real meaning. I can only assume that "dang" = "d4mn", and is just a more stupid sounding version, of an already offensive phrase.

It signifies to me, that the user wouldn't wish to say the word "d4mn", and somehow the recipient is supposedly a little less offended by this?!. It means the same thing apparently, and if you find the word "d4mn" offensive enough to have to soften it down with "dang", then hey - don't use EITHER word, kapish?!.

Just my opinion on a stupid sounding word, sorry if, ironically, *I* offend anyone, but this is my opinion dudes.

[EDIT]

I also noticed when writing this post, that the word "d4mn" has been censored out by the forum, as "****", I supposed due to the fact that it *IS* offensive to some people. If this is the case, then why is the word "dang", which means exactly the same thing, allowed to be displayed??. There is NO "softer alternative" - the word is still offensive, and still has the same meaning. Period. I think maybe this could be looked into, as if I said the "F" word repeatedly, I'd probably be kicked off Mac-forums, even though the meaning of the "F" word is, in essence, a natural and physical act that all our parents took part in, in order to produce us, their offspring, whereas the "dang/d4mn" words actually mean "go to h3ll" and are, by definition, a GREAT deal more offensive than the "F" word.

NOT intended to flame or cause bad feeling, but this is a VERY valid point, and I am simply asking this, because I surely have a right to enquire.

OP
Joe Diver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.
Dang man, thanks for taking nice steaming dump in my first thread here.:(

Slightly off-topic here, and this is not intended to flame anyone, but I'm curious as to this weird use of the word "dang" by our American friends. Is it somehow meant to soften the impact of the word "d4mn"?. I think the word "d4mn" is a horrible word - more so if you actually know its real meaning. I can only assume that "dang" = "d4mn", and is just a more stupid sounding version, of an already offensive phrase.

It signifies to me, that the user wouldn't wish to say the word "d4mn", and somehow the recipient is supposedly a little less offended by this?!. It means the same thing apparently, and if you find the word "d4mn" offensive enough to have to soften it down with "dang", then hey - don't use EITHER word, kapish?!.

Just my opinion on a stupid sounding word, sorry if, ironically, *I* offend anyone, but this is my opinion dudes.

[EDIT]

I also noticed when writing this post, that the word "d4mn" has been censored out by the forum, as "****", I supposed due to the fact that it *IS* offensive to some people. If this is the case, then why is the word "dang", which means exactly the same thing, allowed to be displayed??. There is NO "softer alternative" - the word is still offensive, and still has the same meaning. Period. I think maybe this could be looked into, as if I said the "F" word repeatedly, I'd probably be kicked off Mac-forums, even though the meaning of the "F" word is, in essence, a natural and physical act that all our parents took part in, in order to produce us, their offspring, whereas the "dang/d4mn" words actually mean "go to h3ll" and are, by definition, a GREAT deal more offensive than the "F" word.

NOT intended to flame or cause bad feeling, but this is a VERY valid point, and I am simply asking this, because I surely have a right to enquire.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
BTW - I can't believe I haven't switched before this. I'm a Unix analyst by trade and make my living from Solaris and AIX....soon as I opened a terminal and saw Darwin was a BSD port....I can't tell you how happy that made me. I already know more under the hood of this iMac than I ever did about my PC. I knew OSX was based on Unix but I'd never really taken a look before.

I came from Linux world. I felt exactly the same way.

Oh, Welcome to Mac-Forums! :D

Reaction score
It is a valid point - that is all. I don't think there is any need to get worked up over it. Sorry if I offended you, but swear words offend me.

I came from Linux world. I felt exactly the same way.

Ahh, now then... Linux...

An idealist community which I admire, and an OS I used for years... until I saw the light of day, and realised there is more to computing, than trying to change the world, and constantly swimming AGAINST the tide, no matter what common sense dictates. Ease of use is where software is heading now, and Apple are leading the way!.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

[EDIT]

Personally, I don't think that the term is any better or worse than folks from the UK and elsewhere saying "bloody" this and "bloody" that, or "bollocks", etc. JMO

Back on topic, Joe Diver, awesome equipment, congratulations! I am envious; I hope my wife lets me pull the trigger on one soon. The only thing I am wondering about is how well the GPU can handle tasks such as the upcoming "Rage" game from id / Carmack and other titles. Can anyone speculate on this?

Reaction score
Saying that something is not any better or worse, is a cowardly way of avoiding the issue, tbh. This isn't a profanity competition, with prizes for the most offensive word - I am making a point that I find the word offensive, not asking anyone to open the dictionary, and rate words with "shock points" for meaning.

Just because you say it is no better or worse, doesn't automatically mean that it is okay to use it!!.

Please - lets forget it - I made my point and this needs no further expansion. I know I am right, on this occasion, and I have no desire to explain this, to people who conveniently choose to be selective with their morals.

I am not here to flame people, BUT, if it is a ban-able offence to offend or insult another forum member, then consider me insulted, but on the other hand I don't wish for ANYONE to be banned or reprimanded due to this. I was simply making a point over the use of profanity, and people's immunity to it these days, which is a very sad thing indeed.

Thankyou.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM
Personally, I don't think that the term is any better or worse than folks from the UK and elsewhere saying "bloody" this and "bloody" that, or "bullocks", etc. JMO
I think that is a fair comparison. "Darn" is a word commonly used here in America and doesn't really have any stigma to it. Its almost, dare I say, an "All-American" phrase (e.g. "Gosh darn it!")

Edit: Didn't see your post saying you didn't want to further the discussion unlokia. Sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen
awesome dude! so glad that your enjoying your iMac!

and unlokia. gtfo, go make another thread. i am pretty sure that you are derailing this thread...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Saying that something is not any better or worse, is a cowardly way of avoiding the issue, tbh. This isn't a profanity competition, with prizes for the most offensive word - I am making a point that I find the word offensive, not asking anyone to open the dictionary, and rate words with "shock points" for meaning.

Just because you say it is no better or worse, doesn't automatically mean that it is okay to use it!!.

Please - lets forget it - I made my point and this needs no further expansion. I know I am right, on this occasion, and I have no desire to explain this, to people who conveniently choose to be selective with their morals.

I am not here to flame people, BUT, if it is a ban-able offence to offend or insult another forum member, then consider me insulted, but on the other hand I don't wish for ANYONE to be banned or reprimanded due to this. I was simply making a point over the use of profanity, and people's immunity to it these days, which is a very sad thing indeed.

Thankyou.

Hey, you started this, and now you want it to end. Saying people are cowardly and that YOU are insulted is not a very tactfull way end it. I was making a friendly comparison, I even said it was JMO, and you tell me I'm being cowardly? You say you know you are right. About what? Your opinion that profanity in any form offends you? I am good at keeping a cool head, and I am relatively new around here, but you my friend are a real treat. Peace.

BTW, I'm not trying to aid in hi-jacking what began as a DARN good thread, but that was just crazy. Sorry, I'm done.

Reaction score
I'm now in a dilemma:

I was saving for an entry level MacBook, but now I can get this for just £100 more...

hmmm...

I need a portable, but the new iMac is sooo SOOO tempting!!.

<PS>
[My point has been made, a while back. Why is this continuing, when I have ended the off-topic discussion?]
[I shall discuss this NO FURTHER, beyond this point. Sorry if I have offended anyone, but I have every right to my own opinion, no matter how it is interpreted!. I am not here to annoy people, but in the same vein, I am very much allowed to express my feelings regarding pointless and unnecessary profanity. Here endeth my off-topic sideline.]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm now in a dilemma:

I was saving for an entry level MacBook, but now I can get this for just £100 more...

hmmm...

I need a portable, but the new iMac is sooo SOOO tempting!!.

<PS>
[My point has been made, a while back. Why is this continuing, when I have ended the off-topic discussion?]

unlokia, the damage is done, people aren't going to stop just because you said it's over. But, as far as I'm concerned, it's over. Let's be friends. The choice between the MacBook and iMac is a tough one. Personally, I would probably go with the iMac. I do travel, but not a LOT. It would be hard to walk away from all of that extra display space / resolution and processor / GPU performance. Good luck in making the choice that is right for your lifestyle. Hey, it's just money, right?:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Unlokia, Thorin, it's called private messaging, try using it!!

Joe Diver - congrats on your new iMac and thanks for sharing with us!! I was going to say something about how terrible it is that such a fine machine has to share desk space with a Windows machine, But I suppose you either use Unix there also or don't actually have Windows at all.

Welcome to the world of Apple and Mac Forums!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Unlokia, Thorin, it's called private messaging, try using it!!"

We did, thanks. Sorry for the trouble.

OP
Joe Diver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, once I get fully moved in the only stranded need for the PC is my Xbox360. Media Center connects and enables the 360 to play tunes from my music library, essentially giving me an mp3 player in my entertainment center. So, until I get by that.....but I'm fully functional with 99% of what I normally do anyway on the new iMac now so it's my dedicated main. I'm posting this from a fresh install of Firefox...imported my bookmarks and all.

I'm almost finished moving in....have everything copied over, now I'm installing some stuff. Everything has been so easy to install! What a difference from the PC world. Gimp was a little tricky in that I had to install X11user from the OSX install disk, but it was just like everything else once I found it on the disk.

I have 2 Solaris boxes on my network: Blade150 running 10 and an old U10 running 9 and a storage array I mess with ODS and Veritas on. NFS mounts work great but I haven't tried mounting any ZFS partitions from my 10 box yet.

I will say this: I'm having a blast with the new iMac!;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.