• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Join the Mac-Forums Folding Team!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
coach_z said:
i still dont see the point in waiting, ill still look into this later

ditto.

Folding under Rosetta works fine for right now. I couldn't get the GUI client to install last week, but I must have done something wrong. I installed it again today and it works like a charm.

It will be nice to have a UB version though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
12 hours and i am in first place!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
huh? I don't even see you on the list! :) Man it's awesome that we are 695th place out of 44,450! That's pretty amazing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i fold under the name 'csantimauro'.

it is cool that we are in 695th, but a lil while ago we were in 68xth place, still need more folders
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
I would like to invite you to join our F@H team because it puts your computer to work when you are not using it to help save peoples lives.

Millions of people die of Parkinson's, Alzheimers, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, and and even many cancers that result from protein misfolding and there is something you can do about that: FOLD

WWW.MAC-FORUMS.COM has our very own folding team and we need your help. our team number is 37954 , use it when you are stetting up your F@H client!Here you can fold to save lives and also fold for great competition between teams as they are probably the best way to get the news out about folding. We are currently ranked 692nd in the world and we are only going to climb!

What is Folding@Home???

FAH is a distributed computing project, the purpose of which is to learn how proteins fold and misfold. By breaking down the process by which proteins are created we can find out what causes them to miscreate or misfold. The hope is that this will lead to future research that can help scientists come up with better treatments/cures for many of todays common ailments. But the most important part of the project is putting together an effective model of how to fold and unfold proteins with supercomputer power.

This is an extremely complicated process that requires awesome amounts of computing power that was virtually unattainable prior to the start of this project. This project harnesses the power of thousands of individual PC's connected to the internet by breaking down the necessary work and allowing those individual computers to work on small pieces of information and then returning the calculated results to stanford university. Once the work is done and returned your computer will automatically get fresh data to calculate. The work is then piece back together at Stanford university. There are results and more information posted on the at Folding@Home Website

We are TEAM "mac-forums" and if you would like help setting up the client you only need to ask and there will be several people ready to help. For more info on the project please follow this link

Folding @ Home only uses your extra, currently wasted CPU cycles! So... why not save lives with them and help out TEAM "Mac-Forums"….this will not slow down your computer!!!

How can I help, you talked me into it??

GREAT. We at Mac-forums.com suggest you use the program called inCrease 2.07b ) in order to maximize your computers folding power. Once you get it feel free to ask about how to properly set up your system in order to get the most out of your mac.

I'll tell a llittle about folding and why I and many other members of our site do it.

Folding@Home is a DC (distributed computing) program that can be run on Windows, MacOS, and Linux. It is a study being done by Stanford University to hopefully find a cure to many diseases that are caused by protein misfolds. Most of us run this program to find a cure and partly for the stats. The way it works is that you get the program, input your username and team number, and it will connect to the Folding at Home assignment servers and download a work unit (WU), then your computer processes this WU (protein) to see how it folds. Then it sends it back in and gives your username and team points for that work unit. Mac-Forums’ team number 37954 has reached a position of 695th place in the statistics and could definatly use some help to get higher!

Now, stats are some fun, friendly competition, but that is not all that folding is about, it is mostly for the research, if you guys want to fold, but not be associated with us, thats fine, but it would still be nice to see more people aiding medical research. Who knows...it could save your own life further down the road.

-=Quick Links=-
Our Team Site That's our team statistic page which shows the points and your rank within our team. That is me (csantimauro) in first place
Stanford's Folding Info Page
Stanfords Stats
inCrease 2.07b used to fold better and more efficiently

To create your own Signature image similar to mine, Coach_z’s, please visit this thread: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30837 and follow the instructions

If you have any questions or comments please post in this thread and we will help answer your questions as quickly as possible.
-Chris

PS. I would like to thank Modenaf1 from www.ocforums.com for bringing folding to our forums attention. This thread has become very old and confusing so it needed to be edited and brought up to date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
working with graphite i have edited and changed the first post of this thread in order to bring it up to date with everything and more accurately represent our team. it is also right above this post so you dont have to go all the way through and find it.

although i already realized i didnt put in our team number. oh well ill work on that in a lil bit.
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
coach_z said:
working with graphite i have edited and changed the first post of this thread in order to bring it up to date with everything and more accurately represent our team. it is also right above this post so you dont have to go all the way through and find it.

although i already realized i didnt put in our team number. oh well ill work on that in a lil bit.
-chris

If you look REAL hard you can read the team number in your sig :yinyang:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
some fast work units going around right now if you are going to start folding you can get a few hundred points by monday if you want
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
If it wasn't such a processor hog, I would be folding right now, but it is realy not worth it to me, as much I as I really liked it, It was really interfering with my video work ,because the folding would not stop when I opend up final cut like I wanted it to..

I might give it a try putting it on my windows system (my new thinkpad from school), what do we know about embedded spyware or viruses. Are there any?

maybe I will set up a user account on my quad that will be called folding and I will only put the folding on that name. Would that work, or when I am logged into a different name will it still be folding. That is my largest issue. It will not stop folding when I want it to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok good news. I went ahead and downloaded FAH on my laptop and Increas on my Quad.. I am coming back. I think I have it all worked out this time so that I can easily turn it off. Last time I wanted to turn it off It was a pain in the butt, I had to quit all the running instances (16 of them) seperately using activity monitor.. now I have it on its own user account and it stopps folding when I log out. So I think I will be seriously folding from this point forward.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
powerbookg4, what you can do with increase is set it up to either a) stop when a certain application is open but i feel that part of the program is a lil flaky, or b) open it up when you are doing work and simply pause your folding manually.

and good news for you pbg4, intel chips are absolutely amazing at folding in a windows environment, you should push out some huge numbers using your tiny lil thinkpad

im very glas you are back on the team again!!!!! i fear you are going to over take me sometime!
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
coach_z said:
powerbookg4, what you can do with increase is set it up to either a) stop when a certain application is open but i feel that part of the program is a lil flaky, or b) open it up when you are doing work and simply pause your folding manually.

and good news for you pbg4, intel chips are absolutely amazing at folding in a windows environment, you should push out some huge numbers using your tiny lil thinkpad

im very glas you are back on the team again!!!!! i fear you are going to over take me sometime!
-chris

lol you gained quite some ground while i was temporarily out of the race. but I hope so ;) Who knows I am not sure yet If I will be buying another powermac, If I do then I really hope to be in first.

OP
C

canadian_eh

Hey everyone!
I just downloaded inCrease and started folding, haven't made any progress yet, but I'm happy to be part of the team!

EDIT: I just looked at my CPU with my iStat widget, and it says there's about 60-80% idle, isn't inCrease supposed to use that idle space?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
your cpu usage will fluctuate a bit. what kind of computer do you have and most importantly how many processors?\
-chris

OP
L

lamarck

i want to fold

coach_z said:
your cpu usage will fluctuate a bit. what kind of computer do you have and most importantly how many processors?\
-chris

i downloaded client. now i have InCrease and fpd. what shoul i do next?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
first go to preferences and fill in a username and team number 37954

then depending on how many work units you want to run (you should run 2 WU's if you have one processor, or if you have 2 processors you should run 3) in the CPU count dropdown select how many you are going to be running. click close.

next go the the menu option 'groups' and select either, add group or create more units and you should get your desired amount of units, select them all and click start

this should do it for you, if not ill get a better write up tomorrow

-chris

OP
L

lamarck

coach_z said:
first go to preferences and fill in a username and team number 37954

then depending on how many work units you want to run (you should run 2 WU's if you have one processor, or if you have 2 processors you should run 3) in the CPU count dropdown select how many you are going to be running. click close.

next go the the menu option 'groups' and select either, add group or create more units and you should get your desired amount of units, select them all and click start

this should do it for you, if not ill get a better write up tomorrow

-chris

wow. so i screwed it up a bit. i clicked install. now it works, but i'm logged as anonymous and team number is the one that was preseted.
should i just stop and do it your way or should i leave it for now?
i'm on 2.8% with estimated time 5 and some days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
just change all your info. your first unit may go to soeone else or another team but it is still going towards the cause.

like i have stated like 90 times in this thread, do not just stop a unit let it finish. stanford is expecting you to return this unit
-chris

OP
L

lamarck

coach_z said:
just change all your info. your first unit may go to soeone else or another team but it is still going towards the cause.

like i have stated like 90 times in this thread, do not just stop a unit let it finish. stanford is expecting you to return this unit
-chris

okay i did as u said. i'm going on vacation for week and i'll leave mac runninng.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
awesome!!!! justsend us a screenshot so i can verify that everything is set up right

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.