• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Join the Mac-Forums Folding Team!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Not sure then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.4, 4g Ram
I just downloaded InCrease and entered my username/Team Number. It also tells me that the Team Name is not valid.

I entered my User Name/Team Number in User Prefs under New Units. I used 37954 for the Team No. Also on startup it said this on the main screen:

Welcome to InCrease!

Starting...

Unit at ~/Library/InCrease/unit1:
cannot start: isWritable YES, hasClient NO, isStopped YES, isLocal YES, owner InCrease, platform (null)

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I joined MF Folding Team on my PS3. My first fold is 200,000. 3.34% done so far!

Reaction score
Does anybody know if F@H supports video card usage yet? I couldnt find it anywhere on the website, and i hate wasting all this graphics power i have here...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" eMac 1.42 GHz G4, Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"
This sounds like an awesome project. I'm going to grab the needed software now. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 120GB hard drive
Help?

I'm reading this thread, but I'm only on page 3 of 25.
I installed InCrease, but it's not folding. I downloaded and installed version 6.10 beta2 of the software from Stanford's site, but it was only a viewer? - It wasn't doing anything so I deleted it.

I added the MF team number to InCrease, and downloaded fpd (molecule viewer) and the team names from Tools, but no difference. I can't click "start". I quit and restarted the application, but I think it's stuck, I get this:
Welcome to InCrease!

Starting...

And that's all.
:( What did I do wrong? Help?

ETA: Never mind, found my answer. :D

Editing again because it's still not working. Any ideas?
I installed the fah6 client (from the Tools menu) and created a local group. I thought that would start me folding, but it seems to be stuck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finished reading the whole thing, InCrease is still not folding, and I don't know what the problem is. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
I've been having trouble getting WUs at home for some time. I gave up and just run it on the office machines. I wouldn't recommend running F@H on a laptop of any kind, period anyhow. Particularly a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, while looking for a solution to my problem I read about the heating/cooling problems with the laptops, so I think I won't fold with my macbook after all. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am still completely lost on how to get Increase to work on my Mac. Can anyone help? I downloaded it and put in my user name and our number. Now what? Start/ stop/ are all grayed out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
Does anybody know if F@H supports video card usage yet? I couldnt find it anywhere on the website, and i hate wasting all this graphics power i have here...

Yes, it supports GPU folding...

There is a catch, your GPU has to be CUDA enabled... And that's from the nVidia 8-series to the present cards. The ATi cards from 26xx to present will run it. I don't know if they created the GPU client for Mac or not, I don't think they did thought.

I fold with my 8800GTX and it gets quite a bit of WU's put out. I don't think my 8600M GT would be worth the time but, I might test that soon. I have 36536 points...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
I am still completely lost on how to get Increase to work on my Mac. Can anyone help? I downloaded it and put in my user name and our number. Now what? Start/ stop/ are all grayed out.

Okay, I assume you are using the graphical client right? Let me pull some screenshots from my Mac...

Got'em...

Can you not turn it on in System Pref's?

picture1ex2.png

picture2zu5.png

Are these the buttons that are greyed?
picture3uk2.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Okay, well stupid me not reading thoroughly before downloading F@H, I just found out that the program takes a huge amount of processing power. And knowing me, not smart enough to realize that, I only have 1GB of RAM. And now, my fans will not stop running at 6K. They have been running for a couple hours now, and I quit F@H, then removed all the structural files from my HD and tried to delete them. At first, I couldn't delete the files, because it was telling me "mpiexec is in use" and "fah6 is in use"

But i dont know why since I quit the program. I wouldnt think it would still be running. My fans have not slowed down yet, and I'm about to just do a re-start.

According to iStat Nano, the processes taking place are:

FahCore_a1.exe
FahCore_a1.exe
FahCore_a1.exe
FahCore_a1.exe

Yes, that same one .exe file is being run 4 times. I don't know, Finder cannot locate those files. Nor in Time Machine. What the heck?? My fans running at a constant 6K RPM is really bothering me.

And even though my CPU is using about 88%, my OS has not lagged one bit.

Any advice here before I restart?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
Okay, well stupid me not reading thoroughly before downloading F@H, I just found out that the program takes a huge amount of processing power. And knowing me, not smart enough to realize that, I only have 1GB of RAM. And now, my fans will not stop running at 6K. They have been running for a couple hours now, and I quit F@H, then removed all the structural files from my HD and tried to delete them. At first, I couldn't delete the files, because it was telling me "mpiexec is in use" and "fah6 is in use"

But i dont know why since I quit the program. I wouldnt think it would still be running. My fans have not slowed down yet, and I'm about to just do a re-start.

According to iStat Nano, the processes taking place are:

FahCore_a1.exe
FahCore_a1.exe
FahCore_a1.exe
FahCore_a1.exe

Yes, that same one .exe file is being run 4 times. I don't know, Finder cannot locate those files. Nor in Time Machine. What the heck?? My fans running at a constant 6K RPM is really bothering me.

And even though my CPU is using about 88%, my OS has not lagged one bit.

Any advice here before I restart?

Assuming it's a Windows PC because of .exe...

You installed as a service?

Run "services.msc"(without quotes) and kill/disable all the FAH services.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
bryphotoguy....long story short the first post in this thread needs to be updated again. you running this on your mac pro? that thing will scream...

go to http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download it will give you a choice of which clients to download. choose the intel smp console only client, follow directions in helpfile located to the right of it.....it should give you a "we recommend you use one of these" options

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool. It's working, not at 100% but enough. How do I know what I am helping and my progress?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
Cool. It's working, not at 100% but enough. How do I know what I am helping and my progress?

increase is not the way to go anymore IMHO....but if it is running and you are wondering what is going on and if you are helping at all, look back at it in about 20 minutes and you should see some progress...if not, lets see a screenshot containing your activity monitor(the section(s) containing fah&increase) and the increase window
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB Hard drive, Leopard
Hey guys, is it worth folding on a 400Mhz G4?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.