• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Iphone on Verizon Wireless

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The difference then, is control of distribution right? And IMHO, it might be you who doesn't know Apple so well if you think that they don't want their brand, their product, to reach as many hands as possible, given that the time is right.

Ever notice how you NEVER see an AT&T commercial for the iPhone? Seem a bit odd? Apple hold the reins and all the cards for the iPhone, period. They want their product in as many hands as possible, but only by their rules. This attitude seems even more pronounced for the iPhone than it ever has for the Mac.

Ever notice how it took the AT&T stores more or less forever to get a stable supply of ANY iphone?While nearly all of the Apple stores had them? Even if the Apple stores didn't have them, you could get wait listed, couldn't do that at AT&T. Not a coincidence.

Bottom line, IMHO, is that Apple and VZW are BOT control freaks and neither is willing to give in. Apples not going to go for a 3G iPhone built JUST for VZW while they are rolling out 4G LTE. Rolling out a 4G LTE iPhone would be uncomfortable for Apple since it would break their pretty much solid product update cycle and alienate a HUGE number of customers who JUST bought an iPhone 4. Unless Apple controls the whole platform, and that includes control of distribution (perhaps especially control of distribution) I suspect they're not gonna budge. VZW is just as willing to play hard ball as Apple and with them embracing Android on a HUGE scale, they can control the interaction between the platform and the user just as they always have. With Apple, they have to control it, it's their way or the highway. Just don't see the two working that one out.

Yes, the iPad did make to VZW, but the iPad is NOT a phone and not the kind of thing everyone is going to want or is going to carry around in their pocket. Different, albeit somewhat overlapping, markets but a different product with a different use. The tables are really still a new market and while VZW wanted a piece of it, having to have that extra bit of hardware (which they charge for) to make it compatible shows you that Apple wasn't even willing to change the iPad for VZW to try out.

Lot of rumors were swirling around about Apple and VZW, and then the iPad made it's appearance on VZWs shelves and their network. Notice how that buzz suddenly stopped? Now it's just wishful thinking of the masses that's fueling and almost zero speculation form anyone else. Sure, the tech industry wants it to happen, but Apple has always played it's own game and I suspect that come this time in January, we still won't have an iPhone on VZW.

Then again, I could be wrong.

I'm fairly sure that shareholder's would agree.

As a shareholder, I would disagree.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
You think that burning bridges is a good thing? Ah well, takes all kinds I guess. But I suspect that you're just being contradictory in order to support your opinions. Fair enough.

Much of what you said I totally agree with, as we've already seen how the two companies act alone as well as with one another where terms are concerned. But one thing you said made me seriously laugh my butt off:
Rolling out a 4G LTE iPhone would be uncomfortable for Apple since it would break their pretty much solid product update cycle and alienate a HUGE number of customers who JUST bought an iPhone 4.

Come on dude, really ? LERLZ ! Apple caring about alienating huge groups of customers ? No. That's short term thinking and something they don't do much of. They're into long term commitments, and big surprises from everything I've seen since switching over.

But like you've said. We could be wrong, either one of us. From one share holder to another, I'm betting on you being wrong first though ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You think that burning bridges is a good thing? Ah well, takes all kinds I guess. But I suspect that you're just being contradictory in order to support your opinions. Fair enough.

I don't see it as a burned bridge. The iPad deal will likely remain long term and as long it's there, no bridge is burned. Once LTE is widespread enough my opinion on a VZW iPhone may be different but for now VZWs LTE is more of a marketing ploy and less of a reality. Now, wait a year or two when the iPhone 5 would be due, and it may all really change then, especially since AT&T is going to LTE as well.

Come on dude, really ? LERLZ ! Apple caring about alienating huge groups of customers ? No. That's short term thinking and something they don't do much of. They're into long term commitments, and big surprises from everything I've seen since switching over.

I see where you are coming from, but I just don's see them breaking the cycle. Wait a few years and it all comes together with LTE.

But like you've said. We could be wrong, either one of us. From one share holder to another, I'm betting on you being wrong first though ;)

You know what they say about opinions, they are like <insert synonym for donkey here> holes and everyone has one...

Either way though, only time will tell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
There is a lot of opinions from many people in this topic. But the fact remains as soon as Verizon allows Apple to have the iphone they way Apple want it on the Verizon network, that is the day we we will see a verizon iphone. Apple will not compromise. And I think that is a very good thing. So it's all up to Verizon now. If they want the iphone and everything that comes with it they have to play along or miss out.

Reaction score
You guys talk like you are sitting in the board meetings... Please, you have no clue as to what deal there is between Verizon and Apple. The only thing we can do is speculate at this point and as I said, from a business standpoint it makes total sense to get the iPhone on to a different carrier unless Apple and ATT strike another deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
You guys talk like you are sitting in the board meetings...

I didn't get a harumph outa' you !

(Google if you don't get the reference)

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You guys talk like you are sitting in the board meetings... Please, you have no clue as to what deal there is between Verizon and Apple. The only thing we can do is speculate at this point and as I said, from a business standpoint it makes total sense to get the iPhone on to a different carrier unless Apple and ATT strike another deal.

And you have some special insider info? If so, please share, if not, then you don't any better than any of us. The WHOLE topic is really pure conjecture and our guess is as good as yours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
And you have some special insider info? If so, please share, if not, then you don't any better than any of us. The WHOLE topic is really pure conjecture and our guess is as good as yours.
And let him break any NDA he might have signed to provide the insider info? :)

Reaction score

And let him break any NDA he might have signed to provide the insider info? :)

You guys need to look up the word "speculate". ;)

I just found it funny how you guys were arguing it like you are sitting at a board meeting, that was all.

My GUESS comes from the fact that Verizon developed a WEB page for the iPhone. A business unit would not do something like this unless they were told to do it and you wouldn't waste man hours creating something like this if there weren't talks. So I can safely assume that they have spoken about the possibility. Will it happen? Who knows but something happened that got developers creating pages. ;)

Personally I hope that it does as I would gladly jump to Verizon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You guys need to look up the word "speculate". ;)

And you need to look up the word humour.
I was being funny as you were.

Reaction score
And you need to look up the word humour.
I was being funny as you were.

OK, my humor is lost in translation...

I forget that some of you folks are on the other side of the pond. ;) I was trying to be funny just not very well actually. :p

Sorry.... ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My GUESS comes from the fact that Verizon developed a WEB page for the iPhone. A business unit would not do something like this unless they were told to do it and you wouldn't waste man hours creating something like this if there weren't talks

Reference? Or did you "just hear it from some guy on the street"?

Why do you keep using "WEB" vice "Web", some sort of significance there, an acronym I'm missing, or is that just lost in translation as well? Do spell "Mac" as "MAC" too? (Hint: I don't live "across the pond").

So I can safely assume

I think we all know where that leads....

Reaction score
baggss,

I am not going to argue with you any longer. I think there is enough information out there for people to make an educated guess on the topic and you know what? If it doesn't happen oh well, I'll grab an android phone. My apologies if I offended you and the8thark as that was not my intent.

OP
xero
Reaction score
Agreed. There are many anti-AT&T people that are ready to get an iPhone, but refuse to tolerate AT&T's services. I personally haven't had much to complain about with them, but I would definitely consider switching to Verizon if it does happen.

~~I have a question on this subject. If the iPhone becomes available on Verizon would it be possible for me to bring my current iPhone from AT&T?? Or would I need to sell it and re-buy an iPhone?
No. ATT and Verizon use 2 different types of radio technology. Verizon uses CDMA while ATT uses GSM, therefore your iphone will not work on Verizon's CDMA network. It is allegedly possible that the "Verizon iPhone" will have a hybrid chip that works on CDMA and/or GSM technology. I'm so sure about that one though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
baggss,

I am not going to argue with you any longer. I think there is enough information out there for people to make an educated guess on the topic and you know what? If it doesn't happen oh well, I'll grab an android phone. My apologies if I offended you and the8thark as that was not my intent.

So no reference on that last claim then? Just making it up as you go huh?

Reaction score
So no reference on that last claim then? Just making it up as you go huh?

Much like the garbage you are... You have internet skills, search for yourself. So much for the apology, I guess every forum has one like you...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Much like the garbage you are... You have internet skills, search for yourself. So much for the apology, I guess every forum has one like you...

Yep, still no source reference. Figures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe I can send you some hooked on phonics for Christmas because clearly you can't read....

I guess we will see soon enough.

Or clearly you have nothing to back it up with...

You never did answer the WEB question either...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.