• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPhone coming to Verizon AND Sprint, or just Sprint???

Reaction score
Why people keep bringing up the Verizon rumor year after year is beyond me. I'm fairly certain the initial reports of Apple and AT&T signing a five year exclusivity deal are true, which means the iPhone is locked to AT&T till at least summer of 2012. So the only time I might take somewhat seriously rumors of the iPhone coming to Verizon would be in 2012, and that's assuming Apple and AT&T don't extend their deal.

We keep bringing it up the VZW iPhone rumor because we want it to happen. We try to tell ourselves everything will be ok soon to make ourselves feel better. I folded and went to AT&T in 2008 for the iPhone 3g and will be getting the iPhone 4 with my upgrade.

Do I still hope VZW gets the iPhone? Yes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Hoping is one thing. I'm talking about rumors from major sources who keep bringing it up every year. There were some major sites who practically guaranteed that this would be the year that Verizon would be getting the iPhone. It's like they're living in their own little world and ignoring all facts that point to the contrary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I heard they were going to sign exclusivity with US Cellular and that CompuServe would be hosting the internet side of things! A guy "who knows" told me, or maybe it was a Blog - I forget. :p

PS: AT&T's exclusivity ends sometime in 2011 or 2012 if the 5 year contract is still in effect. Don't hold your breath unless you are a tech blogger or "technologist".

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Why people keep bringing up the Verizon rumor year after year is beyond me. I'm fairly certain the initial reports of Apple and AT&T signing a five year exclusivity deal are true, which means the iPhone is locked to AT&T till at least summer of 2012. So the only time I might take somewhat seriously rumors of the iPhone coming to Verizon would be in 2012, and that's assuming Apple and AT&T don't extend their deal.

The five-year thing was real. A couple months ago, some court documents surfaced confirming it. In fact, Apple or AT&T cited an old USA Today article, from which the 5-year deal "rumor" first surfaced, as proof that they never hid this from the public, as part of their defense. The big question is whether or not Apple has enacted an out clause. Personally, I've never given much credence to the rumors over the years until recently. No, I don't think Apple will ever make an iPhone for CDMA "as it exists now" due to the inability to use the voice and data network simultaneously. That would necessitate them having to recode part of iOS to not expect cellular data access while on a call, not to mention how it could break some apps. Yes, they "could" do it, but they won't. However, there was a report that Verizon was rolling out a simple software upgrade to allow voice calling over the data network. If true, there's only one reason that I can see for them doing this now… to accommodate an iPhone. Everyone makes their phones compatible with their network as-is, so why now, when LTE is coming in the next couple years? Between that and numerous other "signs" that seem to point in that direction, I'm still convinced it's coming as predicted end of this year, if not first of next. Not that I personally have an interest in it. I don't have or want Verizon. I'll just be happy for those who do. :)

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like my Magic 8 Ball was right...

All the rumors have been pointing to end of the year, perhaps first of next. Yes… they are all rumors/speculation, but still, it's too early to call it. If they are true, Apple may have been letting AT&T have dibs to lock people in. They are being awful generous with upgrades for the next iPhone. No one is so nice with Androids.

Reaction score
ATT changed their unlimited smart phone data from $30 to $25 with 2GB of data last week. I hope that the I-Phone comes to Sprint because this is why I left ATT in the first place, higher prices with horrible customer service. But I ALWAYS wanted an I-Phone....seems like Apple would want to go to all carriers to sell more product? Hope that it's not a 5 year contract with ATT like someone said above.

Reaction score
I have no problems with AT&T, so it doesn't bother me if iPhone comes out for other carriers. I'll still have iPhone on AT&T. Only real advantage for us would be it'd create more competition, hopefully making data plans cheaper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Am I the only one who doesn't want the iphone on all carriers? I like the limited access to the iphone. The day that I see little kids with the iphone because they went to cheap carriers, is the time when I will burn my iphone with a torch!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
ATT changed their unlimited smart phone data from $30 to $25 with 2GB of data last week. I hope that the I-Phone comes to Sprint because this is why I left ATT in the first place, higher prices with horrible customer service. But I ALWAYS wanted an I-Phone....seems like Apple would want to go to all carriers to sell more product? Hope that it's not a 5 year contract with ATT like someone said above.

You probably will not like this. Sprint to begin throttling data this summer? (update: not exactly) -- Engadget

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Am I the only one who doesn't want the iphone on all carriers? I like the limited access to the iphone. The day that I see little kids with the iphone because they went to cheap carriers, is the time when I will burn my iphone with a torch!

Who are you kidding? Everybody and there brother already has the iPhone, What cheap carrier is going to get it? Verizon, Sprint? any other carrier that gets the iPhone the pricing will be right on par with At&t.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Sure burn your iphone. Your loss.
For me I will love the day every man and his dog has an iphone. Think of all the revenue for Apple and potential for great innovations to make our lives easier from Apple. I can't see why you'd not want everyone to have access to the best technology in the world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Sure burn your iphone. Your loss.
For me I will love the day every man and his dog has an iphone. Think of all the revenue for Apple and potential for great innovations to make our lives easier from Apple. I can't see why you'd not want everyone to have access to the best technology in the world.

That was a perfect response, Couldn't agree more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
For me I will love the day every man and his dog has an iphone

That would be a good way to control a society. Number of the Beast anyone? LOL

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

That's funny. I used to be a Sprint landline customer and left them because their customer service sucked. I've never had a problem with AT&T.

As for the data plan changes, most of the people wailing and gnashing their teeth over these changes have probably never come close to using 2 GB in the first place. In fact, my wife and I would be comfortable with the 200 MB plan (which actually surprised us when we looked at our actual usage numbers). So for most people, there actually are savings to be had here. This is a good thing.

As for people who really need unlimited data, my understanding is that it is still available to business accounts.

And yes, there is (or was) a 5-year agreement with AT&T. Whether or not Apple has enacted an out-clause is another matter.
Confirmed: Apple and AT&T signed five-year iPhone exclusivity deal -- but is it still valid? -- Engadget

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

That's funny. I used to be a Sprint landline customer and left them because their customer service sucked. I've never had a problem with AT&T.

As for the data plan changes, most of the people wailing and gnashing their teeth over these changes have probably never come close to using 2 GB in the first place. In fact, my wife and I would be comfortable with the 200 MB plan (which actually surprised us when we looked at our actual usage numbers). So for most people, there actually are savings to be had here. This is a good thing.

As for people who really need unlimited data, my understanding is that it is still available to business accounts.

And yes, there is (or was) a 5-year agreement with AT&T. Whether or not Apple has enacted an out-clause is another matter.
Confirmed: Apple and AT&T signed five-year iPhone exclusivity deal -- but is it still valid? -- Engadget

I think were talking about two different things here, Unlimited data on the iPhone and unlimited data on the iPad is like comparing Apples to Oranges the move At&t pulled with the unlimited iPad data plans was shrewd but it's there business I'm not a customer so I really don't care. I hear At&t fan boys claiming 2GB is going to be enough because they compare their iPhone data usage to the iPad, Obviously the iPad is meant use more data than the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I think were talking about two different things here, Unlimited data on the iPhone and unlimited data on the iPad is like comparing Apples to Oranges the move At&t pulled with the unlimited iPad data plans was shrewd but it's there business I'm not a customer so I really don't care. I hear At&t fan boys claiming 2GB is going to be enough because they compare their iPhone data usage to the iPad, Obviously the iPad is meant use more data than the iPhone.

I am not sure how we are talking about two different things as this is an iPhone thread and yours is the only mention of the iPad , and why is it that if someone doesn't have a problem with AT&T as you do they are suddenly a fanboy ?

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not sure how we are talking about two different things as this is an iPhone thread and yours is the only mention of the iPad , and why is it that if someone doesn't have a problem with AT&T as you do they are suddenly a fanboy ?

Clay

The other member who mentioned At&t changing the price of the unlimited plans that affected the iPad. I never said every At&t customer was a fanboy as we all know they have many unhappy customers, Especially after the fast one they pulled with the unlimited plans. Like I said before I thought it was a shrewd move on there part. I'm not a customer of theirs I don't use there services if you or anyone chooses to take that, so be it.I would take my money else where.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I'm hardly an AT&T fan boy, and while I don't have an iPad (yet… it's coming Tuesday), I don't see ever hitting the 2 GB cap even on that. You'd have to be streaming lots of music and movies on a near daily basis, and quite frankly no one's cellular data network can handle mass abuses like that. Like it or not, our cellular infrastructure needs massive upgrades before it can handle all that. Till then, pre-download videos on wi-fi. No big deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
quite frankly no one's cellular data network can handle mass abuses like that. Like it or not, our cellular infrastructure needs massive upgrades before it can handle all that.

That I can agree on 100% percent, I posted a video interview with Marty Cooper (A couple weeks ago) where he spoke about the subject and got pretty deep into the subject made lots of good points. We have the oldest cellular infrastructure in the world obviously it needs some serious upgrades.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
All the rumors have been pointing to end of the year, perhaps first of next. Yes… they are all rumors/speculation, but still, it's too early to call it. If they are true, Apple may have been letting AT&T have dibs to lock people in. They are being awful generous with upgrades for the next iPhone. No one is so nice with Androids.

All the rumors were pointing to it happening last week, and last year, and the year before and so on. They are all just rumors and until something actually changes they will be just that. You can want, hope, pray, do an "iPhone on Verizon" dance or whatever you want but the fact remains that until the LTE technology is ready fro prime time you are unlikely to see the iPhone on any other network but AT&T.

No one was nice when the iPod was new, so I'm not surprised that the Androids are being sold at a premium. One thing the iPhone proved is that the masses are willing to cough up serious $$$ for a phone they desire.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.