• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPhone coming to Verizon AND Sprint, or just Sprint???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
I would really love for the rumor to be true, I really do... But I don't think so :(

iPhone on verizon would be simply sweet. With the coverage they have, they'd sell them like hot cakes after a famine. They really would.

But the smart money says Apple would wait until Big Red rolls out their LTE network, which would be in time for the next gen iPhone... Next year that is. It wouldn't make sense producing a CDMA iPhone now, and render it completely obsolete in 12 month. Before you jum on me for saying that, yes Apple has been cranking out new iPhones every year, but they all had incremental updates... Don't get me wrong, I really like the iPhone and I'd love to get one. But now having the iPad 3G, I am not quite as excited about the iPhone.

But I'd still buy one if it comes out on VZW.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Instead of the iPhone on VZW,Sprint or even Tmobile, Why not just sell a factory unlocked version for full retail?? You walk into the Apple store buy the phone and walk out the door. People will spend the money that's obvious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is still the issue with the different cellular standard used by every carrier. You have CDMA for Big Red and Sprint. And different flavors of GSM for T-Mobile and AT&T. Not financially viable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There is still the issue with the different cellular standard used by every carrier. You have CDMA for Big Red and Sprint. And different flavors of GSM for T-Mobile and AT&T. Not financially viable.

True, but the iPhone will work just fine on T-Mobile's network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
As long as it's sold unlocked it will work on any GSM network in the world, Whether or not you get 3G is another story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True, but the iPhone will work just fine on T-Mobile's network.

As long as it's sold unlocked it will work on any GSM network in the world, Whether or not you get 3G is another story.

You can still buy an iPhone and then unlock it for use with other carriers. In the USA the only option is T-Mo which right there axes you ability to use 3G and sends you about 10 steps back into the stone age og cellular data. That option might be better, and worth while in Europe where they have a standardized cellular technology... At least more than the US

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I would really love for the rumor to be true, I really do... But I don't think so :(

iPhone on verizon would be simply sweet. With the coverage they have, they'd sell them like hot cakes after a famine. They really would.

But the smart money says Apple would wait until Big Red rolls out their LTE network, which would be in time for the next gen iPhone... Next year that is. It wouldn't make sense producing a CDMA iPhone now, and render it completely obsolete in 12 month. Before you jum on me for saying that, yes Apple has been cranking out new iPhones every year, but they all had incremental updates... Don't get me wrong, I really like the iPhone and I'd love to get one. But now having the iPad 3G, I am not quite as excited about the iPhone.

But I'd still buy one if it comes out on VZW.

Well I wouldn't go so far as to say a CDMA iPhone would be obsolete in a year, or even five or more. It's been reported that even with the LTE upgrade, CDMA will continue to be required by Verizon as the "fallback" standard. Given that, CDMA phones will continue to work for some years to come.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can still buy an iPhone and then unlock it for use with other carriers. In the USA the only option is T-Mo which right there axes you ability to use 3G and sends you about 10 steps back into the stone age og cellular data. That option might be better, and worth while in Europe where they have a standardized cellular technology... At least more than the US

I think that depends on where you are in the US. I hear good things about T-Mobile in big city's.

Reaction score
I would love this.

I currently have Sprint and love their plans, not having to switch to VZW would seriously make my day.

No way I'll ever go to AT&T.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No way I'll ever go to AT&T.

To each their own. Don't expect to own an iPhone anytime soon. I've been pretty pleased with AT&T and their customer service has been WAYYYY better than Verizon's....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that depends on where you are in the US. I hear good things about T-Mobile in big city's.

Though that might be true... Still all the reports of an iPhone that has been unlocked for use with T-Mobile in the US confirms that you can only use it on their EDGE network not 3G due to hardware differences. I could be wrong, or that could have changed with the 3GS but that's what vie heard. Their service could be great, but would you real use an iphone in this day and age with EGDE only?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Though that might be true... Still all the reports of an iPhone that has been unlocked for use with T-Mobile in the US confirms that you can only use it on their EDGE network not 3G due to hardware differences. I could be wrong, or that could have changed with the 3GS but that's what vie heard. Their service could be great, but would you real use an iphone in this day and age with EGDE only?

Would I? Sure, if it's all that I have. Slow browsing is better than no browsing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would I? Sure, if it's all that I have. Slow browsing is better than no browsing.

Agreed, EDGE had it's time and place. If your just looking to unlock the phone only and use wifi the rest of the time (which a lot of people do who don't want data plans) then your good. Personally the difference between EDGE and 3G is like comparing Dial up internet to broadband.

For me I'm paying $35 a month for unlimited text & data I might as well get my money's worth and put the 3G to good use.

As far as carriers go every carrier is going to have people who love them and hate them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't disagree. I'm looking at letting my oldest use my 3G on her T-Mo plan when i upgrade in June or July. She doesn't have a data plan (can't afford it) so all she wants is the ability to call, text (SMS & MMS) and install Apps from her MacBook. She has WiFi in her Apt and all over campus so it's sort of a no brainer for her. Her needs are not like mine, but for her T-Mo is a good deal.

Now, for $35 a month I expect to get 3G since I'm paying for it.

Reaction score
I had been frozen by these rumors. Although I want an iPhone, Verizon has the best coverage in the area.

If the iPhone comes to VZW, expect it with the 4G roll out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Looks like my Magic 8 Ball was right...

Why people keep bringing up the Verizon rumor year after year is beyond me. I'm fairly certain the initial reports of Apple and AT&T signing a five year exclusivity deal are true, which means the iPhone is locked to AT&T till at least summer of 2012. So the only time I might take somewhat seriously rumors of the iPhone coming to Verizon would be in 2012, and that's assuming Apple and AT&T don't extend their deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why people keep bringing up the Verizon rumor year after year is beyond me. I'm fairly certain the initial reports of Apple and AT&T signing a five year exclusivity deal are true, which means the iPhone is locked to AT&T till at least summer of 2012. So the only time I might take somewhat seriously rumors of the iPhone coming to Verizon would be in 2012, and that's assuming Apple and AT&T don't extend their deal.

Agreed, After this past keynote I'm officially out of the iPhone multi-carrier in the U.S. rumors. I don't see it happening anytime soon.

But luckily I'm sure iPhone 4 will be unlocked within days of it's release.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.