I Bought A New iPhone SE. Let's Talk About The Battery.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can't hurt. Did you move the SIM from one phone to this one? Did you follow Apple's direction on how to do that?

Check his reply #15. Apple supposedly set it up for him prior to sending it. It was not a matter of moving the SIM from an older phone to the new SE. If Apple had done it properly, it should have had a SIM already included and activated with his carrier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Check his reply #15. Apple supposedly set it up for him prior to sending it. It was not a matter of moving the SIM from an older phone to the new SE. If Apple had done it properly, it should have had a SIM already included and activated with his carrier.
Apple doesn't do that. Moving the SIM brings the number, Apple just reports the fact that a new iPhone was sold with a certain number, they don't do anything to set it up with the carrier at all. As soon as the new iPhone is activated the old one won't work, so if Apple did that for him, he would be with no phone at all during the shipping time. So they don't.

What I have seen with the last two I've changed from one iPhone to another is that the two iPhones negotiate the transfer. This article shows the best way I've found to move from one iPhone to another: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201269 I seem to recall it even moves eSIM data, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple doesn't do that. Moving the SIM brings the number, Apple just reports the fact that a new iPhone was sold with a certain number, they don't do anything to set it up with the carrier at all. As soon as the new iPhone is activated the old one won't work, so if Apple did that for him, he would be with no phone at all during the shipping time. So they don't.

If they don't do it, it's because they no longer do it. They have in fact done that for me in the past. Like I told Mark, I have purchased a phone in an Apple store (specific for a certain carrier) and Apple set it up for me with the carrier and activated it. No SIM swap involved.

As I already stated, I no longer purchase phones that way. I purchase the "no SIM" version and do the swap myself. Activation is immediate.

We really don't know what Apple has done for Mark. He certainly should not have to wait for 8 hours for the phone to be activated.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for hanging in there with me, gentleman.

After numerous attempts, I finally got the iPhone SE working. It appears that I now have two, or perhaps three, Apple IDs and about six passwords — none of which work. I wanted to set the phone up as a new device, but I had to abandon tat idea. Instead, I plugged in to my laptop and restored from the backup of the old phone. An abundant amount of weird things kept happening. For example, I have three OS Mail mailboxes. The only one that as never been used with any Apple device or app. is now receiving mail from Apple.

As you can imagine, the set-up goes on and on. It seems I can't open an app. on the SE without having to do a set-up. Delicious fun for some, but not my cup of Joe. Anyway, I'll work on it tomorrow if I can remember my password(s).

P.S. I didn't transfer the SIM, but the phone seems to work. At least, I was able to reach the recording at my local pharmacy.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I do hope you did not create a new Apple ID. That would be like buying a new car because you lost your car keys. You end up with a new car but you still can't open the old one.
Perhaps you just changed your password?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If they don't do it, it's because they no longer do it. They have in fact done that for me in the past. Like I told Mark, I have purchased a phone in an Apple store (specific for a certain carrier) and Apple set it up for me with the carrier and activated it. No SIM swap involved.

As I already stated, I no longer purchase phones that way. I purchase the "no SIM" version and do the swap myself. Activation is immediate.

We really don't know what Apple has done for Mark. He certainly should not have to wait for 8 hours for the phone to be activated.
Different case, Charlie. If you buy in the store, either Apple or carrier, they will set it up for you completely, as you described. And they will register any new SIM with the carrier and activate the phone with your transferred number, or re-register your old SIM with the new phone with the carrier and activate it appropriately. But I took it from Mark's description that he had the iPhone delivered to him rather than going to an Apple Store. In that case, they do just what I said, they let the carrier know that the iPhone has been bought by the account holder for a certain number, so when the iPhone arrives and is powered on for the first time by the new owner, if that owner follows the directions from Apple the activation will be immediate and the new phone substituted for the old. And if you buy a no-SIM version, as you say, when you shift over the SIM, the carrier network discovers that the iPhone in which the SIM is used has changed (various IDs of the iPhone identity are different), and asks you if this is what you ordered and makes the activation final. The reason Apple doesn't activate it for you in that case is, as I said, if they did that whilst it was still in China, then shipped it to you, for the duration of the journey you would have zero access. The old phone is de-activated, the new is not physically present for you to use. So Activation waits until you have it in hand. (Or they do, in the case of you going into the store.)

EDIT: I just ordered a new iPhone 12 under the iPhone Upgrade Program and in the receipt from Apple is this:
How to activate your new iPhone
When you receive your new iPhone, activate it by following the instructions on the screen.
The receipt also properly identified that I am on a Verizon month-to-month account and they pre-charged me the US$20 one time Verizon upgrade charge. So, having my number and account, they took care of what they COULD, then left the Activation to me, when it arrives here.

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
I do hope you did not create a new Apple ID. That would be like buying a new car because you lost your car keys. You end up with a new car but you still can't open the old one.
Perhaps you just changed your password?

This as been something that as baffled me for years. Generally, I have managed to stay away from iCloud, iTunes, App Store. Don't use 'em, don't need 'em. Judging from the error messages that I get every time I try to log in to any of them, they know me by two different e-mail addresses (two different "Apple IDs"). First thing this morning when I opened my laptop, I got a message to reset my iCloud password. This happens every single time I go near iCloud, iTunes, etc. (I'm also getting new spam that I just "bought" some Norton virus protection.)

I'm sorry that I am not tech-savvy enough to present these problems using the correct terms. I'm sure that any one of you guys, or an Apple Genius Bar person, could sort this out. They sent me a phone with no printed material telling me which button was the "On" button. Evidently, everyone already knows this except me. So, I'm obviously way behind on my knowledge base.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This as been something that as baffled me for years. Generally, I have managed to stay away from iCloud, iTunes, App Store. Don't use 'em, don't need 'em. Judging from the error messages that I get every time I try to log in to any of them, they know me by two different e-mail addresses (two different "Apple IDs"). First thing this morning when I opened my laptop, I got a message to reset my iCloud password. This happens every single time I go near iCloud, iTunes, etc. (I'm also getting new spam that I just "bought" some Norton virus protection.)

I'm sorry that I am not tech-savvy enough to present these problems using the correct terms. I'm sure that any one of you guys, or an Apple Genius Bar person, could sort this out. They sent me a phone with no printed material telling me which button was the "On" button. Evidently, everyone already knows this except me. So, I'm obviously way behind on my knowledge base.
Mark, please don't take offense, but did you read ANY of the links you have been given? In post #2 there were a couple of links to how to set up your new iPhone. I know you had a previous iPhone, based on post 5 and 7 where you referred to backups through iTunes, but then in post 12 you said you opted for a "Manual" setup process, which is really meant for a new user to an iPhone. Post 13 then gave another link for you on how to transfer data. At this point I think you would best be served by contacting Apple support directly to ask about the confusion with your AppleID. You should have ONE, and only ONE, Apple ID. And whatever triggered the Norton spam may mean you have accidentally clicked on some non-Apple button on some website and now have a useless piece of software (or not, hard to tell). In addition to all of the articles we have provided, there is a complete user manual for the iPhone at Apple: https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/welcome/ios

Really, Apple is pretty good at online documentation, but if you don't read it, it's of no use to you. And you will continue to be, as you say, way behind on your knowledge base. As I said, I just ordered a new iPhone and Apple clearly indicated in my receipt that all will need to do when it arrives is to turn it on and follow the screen directions. And that is pretty much what I have done in previous years when I have replaced my iPhone with a newer one.

So, please do some reading on how your iPhone works. And note that there is also a complete user guide on how to use a Mac there, as well. Go to Apple.com, click on the Support button on the top bar, then type in "macOS user guide" and voila!

OP
M
Reaction score
No offense taken, Jake.

I have the iPhone User Guide open in iBooks as we speak, and I have been reading it and as much of the links you provided as I can. My complaint is that you need one device to understand another device. The real world doesn't exist. Just the Cyber World. I guess that how we live now.

In fairness, the set-up on may iPhone 5s in 2012 was pretty quick and easy. I don't know why there have been so many problems with the iPhone SE.

By the way, I wanted to do a manual set-up because I didn't want to bring over any of the crap from my old phone except the Contacts. (I mentioned this previously.) That's the only reason. I guess this would be a poor choice for people who have bought a lot of apps., music, etc., and want them on their new phone.

Thanks, as always. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My complaint is that you need one device to understand another device. The real world doesn't exist. Just the Cyber World. I guess that how we live now.
Yep, except that you don't need a Mac, necessarily, to get to the documentation on the Apple website. Any computer will do.

Apple quit publishing documentation years ago, now only include a minimal of paper with any device. Enough to get it turned on. They put extensive documentation on the website, but I find far too many people are unaware that this entire library of information is available to them. It's amazing what you can find by going to Apple.com and click on the Support button.

OP
M
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Apple.

1) I have two Apple IDs. My MacBook Pro identifies me by one of them, and my phones identity me by the other.
2) When I restored from backup to the iPhone SE, it identified me by an Apple ID that I thought I was no longer using.
3) The password confusion must be because I misunderstood that I have two Apple IDs simultaneously, and they have different passwords. Still sorting this out.

This is my understanding so far.

P.S. I called Norton. The e-mail was spam.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hang in there Mark. You're doing okay.

And don't feel bad about the multiple Apple IDs. It seems Apple went all out some years ago by establishing a standard Apple ID for everyone. The problem was at the start, they converted the older Apple userid/email address that many folks had to an Apple ID.

Just try to keep track of which Apple ID that pertains to your MBP and which one is for your new iPhone.

In the meantime, your questions are always welcome here. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Jake:

Yeah, it is a different setup entirely when ordering by mail or walking into an Apple Store and have them do the setup and activation.

And to add to the confusion, walk into your carrier's store, buy the phone from them and have them do the setup.

I can't believe how complex all this can be here in the US. Folks in the UK, Canada, and other countries seem to have a lot easier system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, Charlie, it worked pretty well for me last swap. My setup is a bit complex because I have a SIM card for travel, which is pay-as-you-go, and cannot be an eSIM, so I have my US carrier, Verizon, in the eSIM. I think it transferred last time with no hitch, but it's been a year and those brain cells got recycled, so I'm not absolutely sure. The local Verizon store is only 5 minutes away, so it's easy to go there to get it sorted out if it doesn't transfer, but with COVID they are only open by appointment, which adds a wrinkle to the plan...nothing hard was ever easy, as they say.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'm sorry if I muddied the waters by suggesting a manual setup as a "New iPhone" might be easier than a restore and setup with USB from the Finder (or iTunes depending on your macOS). Obviously this has worked well for me and others where their macOS is earlier than the current version or they just want to start afresh with the bare bones, a little like a "clean install" of macOS. I had no idea that you were getting an iPhone preset to a carrier and obviously this was part of the problem.
It occurs to me that it should be fairly simple to change one the of the Apple ID's so that they match and simply ignore the other but I'm reluctant to suggest you do that on your iPhone so that means changing it on your computer.

I'm not sure what others think about that because when you say, " Generally, I have managed to stay away from iCloud, iTunes, App Store. Don't use 'em, don't need 'em." It might surprise you to realise that all Apple devices use iCloud and the App Store for a number of things. Mostly it is to keep all the devices in sync and provide data security and backup throughout.
Below is a picture of some of the data that is stored and shared (synced) on my computer and it is the same on all my devices. eg. If I add a contact, calendar event, a Note, etc on my computer it appears on my iPhone and vice versa. Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 9.56.26 am.png It's likely your computer and other devices are the same or you would be receiving prompts (notifications) to sign into iCloud on your computer and iPhone as have other who attempted to avoid any online contact with Apple. MS Windows is the same.

Lets see what Jake or others say about this first, but I would check your contacts and data on both devices and if you find that all your data is complete on your iPhone consider changing your computer to the same Apple ID as your phone. This may mean you would have two of some things, such as you Apple email address but that shouldn't matter.

I dont want to make things too complicated for you but I do feel that having two Apple ID's, one on your iPhone and another on your computer is going to cause all sorts of problems into the future especially with 2FA which we might discuss at a later time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It occurs to me that it should be fairly simple to change one the of the Apple ID's so that they match and simply ignore the other but I'm reluctant to suggest you do that on your iPhone so that means changing it on your computer.
Actually it's not possible. Apple won't/can't merge AppleID accounts and you cannot change anything but the password once the ID is established. You can abandon one and just use the other, but then you lose whatever was on the old one and have to re-purchase anything you might need. Sync between his Mac and iPhone won't happen if they have separate AppleIDs, either. So he is in a tough spot from which to recover. All solutions are "ugly."

I ended up with two AppleID accounts way back when. The only solution was for me to abandon one, delete all apps purchased with that account, then repurchase what I wanted from that one and reinstall it on my Mac/iPhone (wherever it was previously installed) under the AppleID I kept.

Maybe today "Family Sharing" can sort out some of the issues, but it won't solve the sync issue.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jake maybe it would be easier to change the iPhone Apple ID. If what Marrk says is true it's possible that he doesn't have much Apple stuff on his iPhone ie apps, music, books etc but contacts might be an issue. I think he mentioned he had a iPhone 5S.
My concern is the carrier account. Would changing the Apple ID effect that in any way or is it independent of the Apple user account?
I've never had a phone on a carrier account so it's unknown territory for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My concern is the carrier account. Would changing the Apple ID effect that in any way or is it independent of the Apple user account?
No problem there. The carrier account is just a cell phone number. They don't care about the AppleID that is associated with the device at all, unless he's set up to pay the bill automatically by a credit card attached to the AppleID on the phone, which I seriously doubt would be the case.

EDIT: In fact, even if he did set up the carrier to be paid from one AppleID, as long as the card is still associated with that ID, the carrier won't care if it's ON the iPhone or not. So the was answer is just no.

OP
M
Reaction score
It's likely your computer and other devices are the same or you would be receiving prompts (notifications) to sign into iCloud on your computer and iPhone as have other who attempted to avoid any online contact with Apple. MS Windows is the same.

Yeah, that was me. :)

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could Marrk just sign out of his account on the iPhone and sign back in with the same ID he uses on his computer? How about Find My iPhone? How would he disable it? It gives me a headache just thinking about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.