• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Gas Prices

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Commodities pricing, including crude, has fallen yesterday and is expected to continue today. In the past when crude has gone up gas prices immediately followed suit. I had heard someone say on a news program that prices at the pump immediately go up when crude does despite the fact that they are still pumping gas that was made with cheaper-bought oil. The person said it’s the nature of the fuel business.

Then today I heard another person on a news program claim that we will not see a fall in prices at the pump from this current commodities drop for a while because companies have to work through their more expensive oil first.

So, which is it? They can’t have it both ways! Or is that exactly what they’re doing to make more money from the consumer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
They said the same thing last time in 2008. It's their gas, so they price it as they wish when all is said and done.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would love to understand that as well.

What I really don't understand is the concepts of "speculation" and "futures". It seems like whenever there's some kind of issue in the supply chain, whether it effects supply or not, speculators jack up the cost per barrel. How does that benefit anyone (aside from the oil companies and investors) when we're talking about something as crucial to national security as oil?

I'm not saying it needs to be regulated, what I'm wondering is how is this kind of gambling actually legal? This might be incredibly naive of me (the stock market was never something I've bothered to become well versed in), but it seems to be an injustice nonetheless. It's one thing if supply is constricted, quite another when we're betting on the possibility of constriction some time in the undetermined future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.