• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Gas Prices

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Fuel went up 2p a litre again today, so now £1.43.
A friend of mine works for Shell. He reckons £2.00 a litre will hit us next year.
Stop complaing America, you have it good, you don't even pay road tax either.

Uuhh...yeah we do...maybe not all in the gas tax...although we have 50 states that do things differently...and I'm in one where we pay road tax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Let's not forget that Europe as a whole has much better public transportation in general as a feasible alternative to driving a car. That's just not possible in America outside of the highly dense large cities.

America is much larger and much more spread out, hence why mass public transit has never been a priority or even cost effective here. That's why gas tax is much lower in general because the government realizes that there isn't an alternative for a majority of people and ultimately the gas tax is very regressive which means it would impact the poorest citizens the most who are the ones that can least afford it.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Let's not forget that Europe as a whole has much better public transportation in general as a feasible alternative to driving a car. That's just not possible in America outside of the highly dense large cities.

America is much larger and much more spread out, hence why mass public transit has never been a priority or even cost effective here. That's why gas tax is much lower in general because the government realizes that there isn't an alternative for a majority of people and ultimately the gas tax is very regressive which means it would impact the poorest citizens the most who are the ones that can least afford it.

This!! I started to write something similar yesterday - then realized I didn't have the energy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Well I stand corrected on the road tax then, apologies. Bet it's cheap though!
Our's ranges from £0 per annum if you have a zero emission car, to £460 if you have a giant 4 x4 thing.
As for public transport, well I kind of disagree, because the only difference outside of major towns, is that the distances are drivable, or quick by train or even bus.
Our rail system sucks, and the buses aren't great either.
Honestly, the tax here is outrageous.

OP
NewTekBuzz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (intel i7) - 2TB - 8GB Ram
I wonder how many people will be able to afford gas when it gets to 20+ USD.

well... as long as the min. wage is raised a dollar or 2 everyone should be fine! :Confused:

I dont even want to think about 6-10 per gal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I stand corrected on the road tax then, apologies. Bet it's cheap though!
Our's ranges from £0 per annum if you have a zero emission car, to £460 if you have a giant 4 x4 thing.

We have Federal and State fuel taxes in addition to state, county, and local auto annual registration fees, and some states also add personal property tax onto a vehicle, so I wouldn't assume it's really cheaper, we just get taxed differently.

As for public transport, well I kind of disagree, because the only difference outside of major towns, is that the distances are drivable, or quick by train or even bus.
Our rail system sucks, and the buses aren't great either.
Honestly, the tax here is outrageous.

However much you want to complain about your transit system, it's still far more comprehensive than what we have here no matter how you slice it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
However much you want to complain about your transit system, it's still far more comprehensive than what we have here no matter how you slice it.

Oh I'm sure, because geography dictates it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Raod Use Tax

In Minnesota, they give you incentive to buy used, inexpensive and lower end cars via the road tax. Road tax here is paid yearly based on the model, trim level and production year of a vehicle. Gifting a nicer vehicle to someone who needs it can be a curse here as purchase price doesn't matter, only the type of vehicle. So, a used Lexus ES350 pays a higher use tax than a new Toyota Camry even though they are basically the same weight and footprint rolling across the pavement. Moving here from Illinois was a reality check as in Illinois it's a yearly flat fee of $99 for everyone regardless of make and model.
Once I looked at it for a few seconds though, it wasn't so bad and actually worked out well for me. I like older, powerful, larger vehicles. All this really means is that (if you figure in gas/insurance/tax) one can pay a similar total yearly cost of ownership amount up here for a newer fuel efficient car (high use tax/low gas cost) or an older gas guzzler (low use tax/high gas cost). A newer more fuel efficient and cleaner burning RAV 4 or Subaru Outback costs the same each year in gas and taxes as a hungry '78 Jeep with a 304 V8 or a lifted 1980 Bronco with a 351W and no catalytic converter. With the older vehicle, I can pay as I go/pay per play. Plus, by buying used and restoring instead of buying new, I'm helping small business in my local community -vs- corporate giants in the global community. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
Here in Vegas what takes me 15-20 minutes driving would take about 2-3 hours by bus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here in Vegas what takes me 15-20 minutes driving would take about 2-3 hours by bus.

That bad! Is that just because of lack of service, or just that they are incredibLy slow?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

Quoted for truth.

That bad! Is that just because of lack of service, or just that they are incredibLy slow?
It's a lack of service. The infrastructure in North America was built around the car simply because NA is large and relatively sparse in terms of demographics. For instance, Canada is 9,093,507 square km with a population of 34,030,589 (source). Compare this to the European Union which is 4,324,782 square km with a population of 492,387,344 (source). The EU is roughly half the size with roughly 15 times as many people. While this isn't indicative of population concentration, it does illustrate my point - we have fewer people covering a significantly larger area. Automobiles are a much more efficient and cost-effective means of travel here when you consider this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's actually the same reason the EU generally has a much more comprehensive cellular system. Less area, more concentration of people, etc. The logistics just work against North America.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

They stop so often that it is bordering crazy. Also the transfers, if you do not happen have the correct timing there may be a wait for the next bus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a great example. For commuting to work it takes me about 35 minutes to drive. The same trip via public transit would require 2 - 3 hours with multiple changes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
I think the jist of Public Transport in the US is "WE SUCK" :)

Except for places like NY and some parts of CA that have trains.

If it worked I would happily take it. My truck only gets about 14 mpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I take it back, US public transport does indeed suck! I can see why you have to use cars. Be thankful you don't pay our fuel prices then.
I will say though, that it is quicker by car here too of course, unless you are going into London, then the train and tube save you hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
They stop so often that it is bordering crazy. Also the transfers, if you do not happen have the correct timing there may be a wait for the next bus.

Same problem here. If you're not Down Town, you get horrible bus service. My wife's 12 minute drive to work would take her almost 2 hrs. We mapped it out once on the transit website.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
That is easy Crimson. The same number who were gonna give up the smokes when they got to $8 per packet!

Ill be one Harry as i gave them up on Monday. Ill be driving for a eternity lol

Here's a great example. For commuting to work it takes me about 35 minutes to drive. The same trip via public transit would require 2 - 3 hours with multiple changes.

Very similar and very sucky :(

Ok I take it back, US public transport does indeed suck! I can see why you have to use cars.

It is bad isnt.

I initially nearly didnt meet my wife bc of how bad the Public Transport was in Canberra. Not as bad as above but i dont do PT at the best of times and when i returned from 3yrs abroad didnt have a car and when i met her, i could not bring myself to move down with her bc of it.
Moved to another city and she followed. :) She did really love me . . . . . Not so much now :( lol

Im paying $1.56Ltr atm. When i use to do Long Haul driving i could put $1200-$1800 a DAY. 700+ ltrs a day. Now we had 20 trucks in the fleet and most of them would do this sort of distances.

So in a week 5 1/2days 3500+ Liters $6000-$9000 for 1 truck. 70,000 $120,000-$180,000 for the fleet. We had a small fleet so when you look at the bigger poicture there is so much fuel getting burnt everyday. It will run out at some point.

Cheers

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Congratulations!
And stick with it. :)

Yea thanks mate. Not enjoying it and dont p1ss me off bc im a grumpy one lol

Bought a 4runner on the weekend so need to pick it up somewhere ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.