• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Releases OS X Lion

Reaction score
Okay...I'm lost on this reverse scrolling thing...

In Snow Leopard (in its latest form), when you drag two fingers down, the page goes down...and vice versa.

You mean if you two-finger drag down in Lion, the page moves up? Huh? Or am I lost?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That's correct. It works (by default) like an iOS device does - scroll down on your input device and you be scrolling up and vice versa. You can change this behaviour in System Preferences.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just a quick note - and I know I mentioned this to the other mods, but just wanted to throw it out there for the community.

I did a clean install this morning and then imported my data back in from Time Machine. The machine is now a LOT faster than it was with the straight upgrade - even during indexing. I'm not sure what difference it makes technically, but it certainly seemed to help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
What's the deal with your name in the menu bar next to spotlight? Can you hide that?...

Yes. System Preferences>Users & Groups. Click on Login Options and uncheck the box next to "Show fast user switching menu as". If it is greyed out, you need to unlock the padlock on the bottom left and enter your user ID Password.

Reaction score
That's correct. It works (by default) like an iOS device does - scroll down on your input device and you be scrolling up and vice versa. You can change this behaviour in System Preferences.

Maybe it makes more sense on an iOS device because you're actually touching the page and dragging it up/down. It feels perfectly natural on an iOS device, but really doesn't (to me) in Lion

I'm curious about trying it with the Magic Trackpad though, to see if the feeling is different than a regular mouse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Macbook Pro mid 2010, OS X 10.6.7, Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM, 250gb HDD
I feel really comfortable using the reverse scrolling, of course sometimes I forget but it`s not a problem, it`s a matter of time and everybody will get used to it.

I am feeling my Macbook Pro Mid 2010 a little bit slow, but I guess that`s because spotlight is indexing, I am really considering do a clean install.

Can someone help me on clean install? I need to format my disk, then install snow leopard from the disk that come with the computer, and then install Lion, is that it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Can someone help me on clean install? I need to format my disk, then install snow leopard from the disk that come with the computer, and then install Lion, is that it?

No.

First - make sure you have a backup (Time Machine or SuperDuper or CCC).

Second - shut the machine down. Turn it back on and press and hold Cmd+R. Lion Recovery will open after some time. From there, you can use Disk Utility to erase your Macintosh HD Partition. Then, select the option to reinstall install OS X.

When it finishes, you'll be prompted to transfer data from another Mac, opt to do that, and select either your Time Machine backup or your other backup drive as the source.

Reaction score
Well did it to both my machines ! Gulp! now i find the PowerPC utilities MS Office 2007, Adobe Pro 6 Mac Draft and a host of other Don't work and neither can i se an update for my Epson 3200 Scanner!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Maybe it makes more sense on an iOS device because you're actually touching the page and dragging it up/down. It feels perfectly natural on an iOS device, but really doesn't (to me) in Lion

I'm curious about trying it with the Magic Trackpad though, to see if the feeling is different than a regular mouse

The Reverse is very natural on an IOS device as it should be, but I still feel even with the Magic Trackpad, the old way works better on a Desktop system where your fingers are not on the screen doing the scrolling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Macbook Pro mid 2010, OS X 10.6.7, Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM, 250gb HDD
No.

First - make sure you have a backup (Time Machine or SuperDuper or CCC).

Second - shut the machine down. Turn it back on and press and hold Cmd+R. Lion Recovery will open after some time. From there, you can use Disk Utility to erase your Macintosh HD Partition. Then, select the option to reinstall install OS X.

When it finishes, you'll be prompted to transfer data from another Mac, opt to do that, and select either your Time Machine backup or your other backup drive as the source.

Thanks Cwa, one more newbie question, after I erase the Macintosh Hd partition and choose to reinstall OS X, I insert my Lion disk, correct?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Just a quick note - and I know I mentioned this to the other mods, but just wanted to throw it out there for the community.

I did a clean install this morning and then imported my data back in from Time Machine. The machine is now a LOT faster than it was with the straight upgrade - even during indexing. I'm not sure what difference it makes technically, but it certainly seemed to help.
I noticed this as well. I did the upgrade the first time around (by accident actually - I forgot to wipe the drive before I hit install) and upon first boot, it was slower than molasses. Upon launching launchpad, I had a message popup notifying me that it was loading the applications and it just hung there. Everything else was a bit laggy so I ended up rebooting and doing the clean install like I wanted. After booting into my fresh install, it was (and remains) considerably snappier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Apple needs to have the Spaces thumbnails with magnification like the Dock. It helps those of us with laptop and limited screen space to better see what's in those individual Spaces without swiping back and forth looking for a particular window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"
Have you guys created a bootable disk of Lion? does it work as shown on web sites?

Yip, I done mines this way and done a clean install to a new HDD. I wrote a small how-to on my blog and created a short screen recording of the process.

Chris Bryson's Site » Create a bootable DVD for OSX Lion.

I put my old HDD into my HDD Dock and copied over my documents etc. I wanted to clean install everything rather than do an upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"
What are people doing for their NTFS access? I share my external drives with various PC users and have to be able to write to NTFS. I used Paragon NTFS 7.0.2 on SL and it worked fine, but gave issues mounting in Lion (Ok with the driver disabled) so I removed it and back at square one.

What are others doing to write to NTFS? A newer version of Paragon, or a free software?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"
I wonder if the built in NTFS can be enabled in Lion like it could in SL? Will search and see if I can find anything.

I'd read that doing it this way in SL was unstable, is this not the case? Having it as close to native would be the best solution I think.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I noticed this as well. I did the upgrade the first time around (by accident actually - I forgot to wipe the drive before I hit install) and upon first boot, it was slower than molasses. Upon launching launchpad, I had a message popup notifying me that it was loading the applications and it just hung there. Everything else was a bit laggy so I ended up rebooting and doing the clean install like I wanted. After booting into my fresh install, it was (and remains) considerably snappier.

Does considerably snappier mean as fast or faster than it was previously with SL?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On my end Lion is faster overall than SL ever was. Startup, Shutdown and most Application launches are faster as is performance in Apps like Safari, iTunes 10.4 and many others.

If others disagree, not sure what to say. Same machine and I can boot into one or the other and compare.

Reaction score
I do agree. What if a PList gets corrupted? How do we tell people to fix it without access to that folder? There is a terminal command to unhide it.

Have them download tinker tool and unhide hidden system files and relaunch finder. They can then rehide when done.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why hide what always has been unhidden? They should have hidden the main library files and not the user ones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.