• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Releases OS X Lion

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Does considerably snappier mean as fast or faster than it was previously with SL?
It's faster than when I just had the upgrade. It's about as fast as SL now. I will admit though that I probably didn't give OS X (Spotlight) enough time to "settle" in after the upgrade but as I said, I didn't want the upgrade.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
cwa, will that affect your BootCamped partition / boot up?
I've never done a clean install without wiping the entire drive and starting from scratch on my Mac.

I actually don't even use Boot Camp anymore. I'm all VMWare when it comes to running Windows these days (especially now that VMWare supports the Aero interface in Win7, and now that my favorite games are all available for Mac via Steam).

But I don't suppose it would effect Boot Camp, because you're specifying just the Mac OS X partition and doing a quick format basically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Thanks Cwa, one more newbie question, after I erase the Macintosh Hd partition and choose to reinstall OS X, I insert my Lion disk, correct?

I am curious to know if a fresh install using the Command+R method requires a disc. I forgot to burn one when doing the install and now I'm wanting to do a fresh install just to see if things can get any better. ...not that they're lacking right now. :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am curious to know if a fresh install using the Command+R method requires a disc. I forgot to burn one when doing the install and now I'm wanting to do a fresh install just to see if things can get any better. ...not that they're lacking right now. :D

No, it doesn't. The "disc" is integrated into the recovery partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
FWIW, both the recovery partition method and the disk install method still require a substantial download for Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it doesn't. The "disc" is integrated into the recovery partition.

Ok, cool. So if I was to boot into recovery mode and reinstall, it would basically be the same as a fresh install? Then I could bring in all my personal data via my T.M. backup.

FWIW, both the recovery partition method and the disk install method still require a substantial download for Lion.

??? :Confused:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, cool. So if I was to boot into recovery mode and reinstall, it would basically be the same as a fresh install? Then I could bring in all my personal data via my T.M. backup.

That's correct. During the first install, the installer creates a hidden partition for the recovery mode. That partition contains utilities and the full OS X distribution that was downloaded from the MAS. You are doing a clean install on the regular (non-hidden) partition because you're erasing it before you start.

What's really cool about the recovery partition is that this means no dragging our your discs to do an in-depth disk repair or run EFI firmware password. Most of the things you used to need to carry your System Discs for, are now covered in a relatively small partition.

Now, you will lose that partition if you change HDDs, and I think that's what Schweb is referring to - on Macs that ship with Lion, it will need to DOWNLOAD that partition from the Internet in order to kick off the install in situations where the partition doesn't already exist. But that's not the case if the disk and hidden partition are intact.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

The hidden recovery partition is only 650 MB, not near large enough to hold the necessary files to do a complete recovery without downloading the remainder from the App store. I believe that's what schweb is referring to.

Take a look at this article posted by Randy from Computerworld. LINK

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The hidden recovery partition is only 650 MB, not near large enough to hold the necessary files to do a complete recovery without downloading the remainder from the App store. I believe that's what schweb is referring to.

Oops, I stand corrected. I'd assumed that the entire disc was contained in the partition because the dialogs from booting off the disc are identical to those you see when booting in Recovery mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Awesome. Very helpful link. Thanks for that. I think I'll save this project for tomorrow when my wife goes shopping. Give me something to do for a few hrs. :)
I've never had a fresh/clean install other than the stock Leopard that came with my MBP 3 yrs ago.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Saturday is when we're supposed to complete our "Honey Do Lists" that the boss has made up during the week. No fair playing with Lion when you're supposed to be outside cutting the grass. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Saturday is when we're supposed to complete our "Honey Do Lists" that the boss has made up during the week. No fair playing with Lion when you're supposed to be outside cutting the grass. ;P

Being unemployed, as I am, every day is a honey-do day. So the weekends are actually a relaxing time for me. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
Just got an email from Carbonite saying Carbonite Backup for Mac will not work with Lion. They hope to have a fix in a few weeks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SE30; Powerbook 150; Power Mac 7200; Power Mac G4; Macbook Pro 15".
Voices - me too

I can't get the new 'Jill' and 'Samantha' voices to download. It tells me there's no internet connection. But that's false. Anyone has the same problem...?

Thanks

Yep. Have sent off queries to a few forums (fora?) and noticed others with similar problems. No answers of thoughts yet. Hopefully it's something simple.

Are you connected via wireless/Extreme/similar, by any chance?
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Other than those I mentioned .... Safari's radical behaviour when loading, such as randomly opening last window, scroll bar no longer disappearing, losing click to flash, and possibly more that I hadn't noticed yet.
Spent way too much time trying to make it function like SL, which I guess is what people using Macs feel like when they are trying to make it function like Windows.

I have now rolled back to SL, and it feels good to be home. :)

Lion.... pfff, more like Little I LOVE DOLLS (try hard iOS device)!
Seriously, reverse scrolling? What were they thinking if you're not using a touch screen?
As far as making the OS more efficient, a complete fail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Other than those I mentioned .... Safari's radical behaviour when loading, such as randomly opening last window, scroll bar no longer disappearing, losing click to flash, and possibly more that I hadn't noticed yet.

First, Click2Flash still works if you're using the extension, as you're supposed to be. Apple deprecated the type of plugin architecture non-extensions use with Safari 5. With Safari 5.1 they completely blocked it for security concerns. The extension continues to work just like it did before, I'm using it now. But you may want to avoid Safari 5.1 on SL also if you don't want to use Extensions.

The rest of your Safari complaints are personal preferences, which of course are valid to have if you feel that way. I will say that some of those complaints are easy to work around if you check out the preferences.

Really, you rolled back? I mean you haven't said anything about doing that the last 3 days. :p

Just kidding, how did you do it? Just restore from Time Machine? Could be helpful for others who are looking.

Seriously, reverse scrolling? What were they thinking if you're not using a touch screen?

You know that's a preference right? Took 3 seconds to open System Preferences and uncheck the box

Think many people would disagree with you on this one.

In the end though, it's your choice based on which system you like best. Enjoy Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Thanks for your focussed input as usual schweb:)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spent way too much time trying to make it function like SL, which I guess is what people using Macs feel like when they are trying to make it function like Windows.

I can certainly understand that - and there are a lot of changes that don't immediately seem all that useful over and above what 10.6 offered. But there's a good deal of under the hood changes too. I also like some of the foundation Apple laid for future apps - and although I was skeptical about making my Mac work more like an iOS machine, I have to say that given some time to fully digest the changes, most are for the better.

And it doesn't hurt to do a clean install either - that seemed to make a big difference in terms of performance.

Last night, I read through the entire Ars review of 10.7 (quite a long read, but extremely comprehensive) and I have to say, it gave me a new appreciation for what Apple's done here. Aside from some questionable GUI changes (particularly the leather-bound look of iCal and Address Book), I think this is a solid release and certainly worth the $29.

If you haven't already read the Ars review, I highly recommend it:

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: the Ars Technica review

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks cwa for your constructive feedback, and I will give that a read, not only for knowledge, but since you went to the trouble of replying in such a manner and providing that link :)

I did perform a straight upgrade, but seeing the speed, tried a clean install, even though seeing a little better performance, it was still lagging compared to SL.
I can't argue that the cost of the upgrade wasn't next to nothing, but for me for now, it really was a downgrade.
I've never liked the iOS devices, in fact, sold my iPhone within months of getting it, and quite liked the separation between the PCs and those devices.... catering to a broader spectrum, but I guess those days are gone.
I will have no choice to get used to it with my next Mac laptop purchase, but I'm of a mindset, "if it ain't broke!"
It wasn't broken, and regardless of how some may target me opinion, I have no doubt whatsoever that I'm not alone (even if I do ruffle certain people's feathers).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks cwa for your constructive feedback, and I will give that a read, not only for knowledge, but since you went to the trouble of replying in such a manner and providing that link :)

I did perform a straight upgrade, but seeing the speed, tried a clean install, even though seeing a little better performance, it was still lagging compared to SL.
I can't argue that the cost of the upgrade wasn't next to nothing, but for me for now, it really was a downgrade.
I've never liked the iOS devices, in fact, sold my iPhone within months of getting it, and quite liked the separation between the PCs and those devices.... catering to a broader spectrum, but I guess those days are gone.
I will have no choice to get used to it with my next Mac laptop purchase, but I'm of a mindset, "if it ain't broke!"
It wasn't broken, and regardless of how some may target me opinion, I have no doubt whatsoever that I'm not alone (even if I do ruffle certain people's feathers).

I think member technologist was definitely right on the mark when he started using the line in his signature that read "To see the future of the Mac, look at today's iOS". You can pretty much bet that the two product lines will continue to converge both in terms of software AND potentially hardware - especially at the low-end with the MacBook Air.

Do I like it? No, not particularly. But clearly Apple has a vision and is executing on it - and if past history is any indicator of the future - these changes will be for the better. It may not tweak my "geek nerve", but then, so many times in the past I've resisted change only to find that what wasn't clearly evident at the beginning of a transition ultimately resulted in a better experience when the product came to maturity.

I do think we're at somewhat of a crossroads, but I have faith that Apple knows exactly what it's doing and when the paint dries on the canvas, it will be a masterpiece.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.