• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple announces March 7 iPad 3 event

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
No SD card slot. *rage!* ;)

Yeah, that's a HUGE bummer. Especially with the new iPhoto. Incredibly short-sighted... but not surprising.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Meh - I'm still ok with the camera kit. I would think an internal sd slot would compromise size still.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Because, it's the end of the Computer and you will use iCloud for everything! ICloud will rule the world! :D

And Jobs vision of No ports because it ruins the LOOKS lives on! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I think I can live without this for a bit. I think the rumors of the haptic feedback ruined it all for me. This might change once I actually see it in person though.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just what is this Haptic display supposed to be? I saw the word but thought it was referring to the Retina display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Here's some info on the haptic feedback:
Haptic displays basically allow the flow of electricity to give your finger the sense of a moving over a textured screen. Most people with MBPs have probably noticed a very broad feel of this when they charge their MBP, and can feel an electrical charge on the aluminum body. It's similar to that, but A LOT more defined, and condensed in specific areas.

iPad 3 to have tactile display? (VIDEO) - MacRumors Forums

Senseg technologie haptique pour écran tactile - YouTube

Teslatouch - Disney Research

Apple has their own patents for it, which probably has ben co-created with Disney, so this kind of feedback seems like it would be promising, and...revolutionary imo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Reaction score
Seems to finally be working, just checked out. Was half tempted to go with the ipad 2 refurb for $349, but I decided I might as well just go for the 3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Ordered black 64GB Wifi. Haven't gotten any confirmation email though.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Ordered black 64GB Wifi. Haven't gotten any confirmation email though.

I got past "Place My Order" to the confirming screen, then it erred out in the end. :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still can't get the "pre-order" link to work.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I keep looking at the site, but just can't convince myself to buy one. It's still just a gigantic iPod Touch to me... and I already have an iPhone. I just don't see myself using one. And with my kids around, I know I'll have no peace trying to use it - and anytime they pick it up, I'll be terrified that they'll drop it.

Am still noodling on it, but I'm thinking the pros still way outweigh the cons for me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm with you Chris. I haven't convinced myself yet that I really need one. I usually find if I wait several weeks after the excitement is over, I'm in a better position to make a decision. Besides, my wife needs two dental implants so it looks like that has priority for now.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've been thinking about getting an iPad since the iPad 1 announcement 2 years ago!!!;)...and I still don't have one!:(

But with the release of the iPad 3/"new iPad"...$349 for a refurbished iPad 2 16gig WiFi is kind of attractive! But then again...$499 for the 16gig iPad 3 Wifi with the retina display isn't out of the question.

I've had my "iPad Money" burning a hole in my pocket for 2 years now...I gotta decide Yey or Ney...and get it over with once and for all!!!;)

I'll probably wait 2-3 weeks as well before deciding. I want to see some iPad 3 reviews first.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Hmmm...so who wants to sell their iPad 1 or 2?? ;)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I keep looking at the site, but just can't convince myself to buy one. It's still just a gigantic iPod Touch to me... and I already have an iPhone. I just don't see myself using one. And with my kids around, I know I'll have no peace trying to use it - and anytime they pick it up, I'll be terrified that they'll drop it.

Am still noodling on it, but I'm thinking the pros still way outweigh the cons for me.

I'm on the fence here myself. The problem is - I pretty much find myself just using the iPad in the bathroom at home - LOL - but seriously...or on planes or in bed, and that's about it. I don't carry it with me nearly as often now that I have an iPhone. Also - I'm waiting for the new MacBook Air to come out - so I can pick one up to use at work - having said all that...I'm still kind of wanting one.... what to do ...what to do....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finally got my pre-order in for a 32GB black "new iPad." My wife will be traveling a fair bit over the next year, so it will be a 'gift' for her.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I keep looking at the site, but just can't convince myself to buy one. It's still just a gigantic iPod Touch to me...

Obviously, you still have "young" eyes and good for you at that. The larger screen is night and day difference to those of us who are more visually challenged.
But, definitely, if you can get the same performance out of an iPhone or iPod, why tote around a larger device. ;)

I've been thinking about getting an iPad since the iPad 1 announcement 2 years ago!!!;)...and I still don't have one!:(

But with the release of the iPad 3/"new iPad"...$349 for a refurbished iPad 2 16gig WiFi is kind of attractive! But then again...$499 for the 16gig iPad 3 Wifi with the retina display isn't out of the question.

I've had my "iPad Money" burning a hole in my pocket for 2 years now...I gotta decide Yey or Ney...and get it over with once and for all!!

- Nick

Join us!!! :Cool: :Mischievous::p ;)
You'll be glad you did.

I'm on the fence here myself. The problem is - I pretty much find myself just using the iPad in the bathroom at home ....

Remind me to NEVER borrow your iPad . . . :p

Seriously though, I said I would sit this upgrade out, but I am now tempted as well. The iPad has become my main electronic device and more than 90% of what I used to do on my Macs I am now using the iPad for.
Nothing in the update is truly compelling, but that retina screen . . . my wallet is starting to itch! ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.