10.5.2 is out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Just to let everyone know, the 10.5.2 update installed a new Utility in the Utilities folder! It's called "Remote Install Mac OSX". I clicked on it and it's for the MacBook Air. You insert your install DVD in a Mac and run the utility and it will allow you to install OSX on the Air using your other Mac. Interesting!

Am on my iBook right now typing this and was in the Utilities folder looking around and there it was!
can you use it to install os x on another mac (other than the air)
I don't know why you would use it for anything other than the air (everything else has an optical drive) but just curious

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
What happened for the 400MB update?? This was only 180MB.

I was really hoping they would do something with Spaces to make the "multiple desktops" more autonomous, or at least allow you to have different backgrounds for each. But I guess since it's nothing more than a GUI trick and not really multiple desktops, there's not much they can do.

I see that sluggish old spaces STILL is sluggish and sticks when fading back to the desktop, as I hold down SHIFT with 10.5.2. I think spaces is useless anyhow, so it doesn't bother me; shame they didn't fix it though.

. . .

Expose is STILL sluggish and jerky - why is this not fixed, after all this time AND two updates?. My Macbook SR has FOUR gigs of ram and it's jerking like crazy, as if it is getting caught on something. So much for graphics update 1.0 :eek: :eek:
[awaits fanboy retort ;)]

There must be something wrong with your system. On my MBP Spaces and Expose are very quick, instantaneous! And always have been.

Reaction score
Well it killed my boot time, i boot very slowly now. Actually my hp running vista boots faster now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I just installed 10.5.2 and it was only 180 MB for me. And I see they fixed the stacks issues everyone didn't like. Well gave options to edit them. And I'm so glad. Now I have 2 folders in my dock with proper folder icons. One as a list and the other as a grid. Yes I was waiting for this. Well done Apple.

I'd like to see the option of going back to the 2D dock as an option in the preferences. Not just as a terminal thing. And also it takes a few seconds and HD thinking for files to appear in a folder still. When in 10.4 it was instantaneous. It really bothers me. Why should the machine strain a few % for that when previously 10.2-10.4 it didn't. Bit I'm nit picking.

And which machines got the graphics update? Only the Alu imacs and notebooks? Cause I didn't get it.

But overall after a few restarts my machine is working just fine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well it killed my boot time, i boot very slowly now. Actually my hp running vista boots faster now.

Not sure if you're new to Mac, but every time a system update comes out, the system boot times slow down for a little while. It usually takes a couple of reboots before things start to get back to normal. So, what you're experiencing is normal.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
And which machines got the graphics update? Only the Alu imacs and notebooks? Cause I didn't get it.

I had to run Software Update again, after the install 10.5.2 to see it as an option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Ah thanks. I just read up on it and it requires 10.5.2 So after it's installed it'll appear as does an ilife support update too.

M

MacHeadCase

A word of caution to users who rely on Linotype's FontExplorer X: according to a TUAW post, 10.5.2 creates an incompatibility with the font management software and it messes up with the system, looks like.

Users of Linotype FontExplorer X may want to hold off on the 10.5.2 update ... if it's not already too late. It seems to start up fine, but once you do, clicking a stack will cause the Dock to hang; that's just one symptom, there are problems reported with several applications crashing while FontExplorer X is running. ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I was really hoping they would do something with Spaces to make the "multiple desktops" more autonomous, or at least allow you to have different backgrounds for each. But I guess since it's nothing more than a GUI trick and not really multiple desktops, there's not much they can do.
Did it ever occur to you that Spaces is insanely fast? I mean, even if I'm almost maxed out on memory, there is no lag in switching between spaces (except if I'm switching to the iPhoto spaces). This would definitely not be the case if one had a different dock, desktop and all kinds of other stuff. I like Spaces the way it is right now. Only sometimes one does lose a window into 'space' but I can deal with that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
My apologies about my previous reports but I just received an email through Mail to my gmail address (using IMAP and POP) and I did hear an alert sound.

So far things are fine, no bugs to report. Nothing seems too different either though, menus seem maybe a hair faster but nothing astounding.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen
Oops! We seem to have run into technical difficulties and cannot complete your download request. It could be that the download link you tried to access has changed and the developer forgot to notify us. Want to let us know so we can get it fixed? Send us an email or make your way back to Downloads for any other downloads you need.
I carnt download it at the moment ^^^^^ thats what it says.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
Anyone run XBench after this? I just checked my MacBook core duo and it went from an 88.05 to 116.28. It is way faster now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D, 1 GB ram, 120GB HD
i don't have any before numbers, but i just now ran xbench after all the updates and it came out with a bottom line of 102.03, i think i'm reading that right

Reaction score
Gmail POP/iMAP

Just a thought; I had problems with Mail not receiving messages/notifying me with the new mail sound... and I suddely realised that I HAD NOT enabled POP in the Gmail web-based settings; you NEED TO DO THIS, and then it works!.

Picture-1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
i don't have any before numbers, but i just now ran xbench after all the updates and it came out with a bottom line of 102.03, i think i'm reading that right

I have just ran xbench and have got a score of 127.42 (the very first number in the list). Am I reading this correctly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Woah! My iBook gave me 30.52! LOL! I'll see the after results once I'm done downloading the update.

Reaction score
Has anybody else found that iDisk is syncing and taking up 100% of the CPU after upgrading?

It's not crippling performance too much, but it is eating my battery life and making the fans come on and stay on. Checking Activity Monitor confirms the CPU usage by 'FileSyncAgent' is as high as it can be.

Opening a Finder window shows the iDisk sync icon spinning, even though the icon on the activity bar at the top of the screen is static.

Not sure what's happened or why this is the case, but it only seems to have happened since 10.5.2

Any thoughts?

M

MacHeadCase

A word of caution to users who rely on Linotype's FontExplorer X: according to a TUAW post, 10.5.2 creates an incompatibility with the font management software and it messes up with the system, looks like.

Linotype is on the ball! It seems they have just updated FontExplorer X to deal with the Leopard compatibility issues. I just got a notification for an update and download to the font management app. The TUAW article was updated to add this info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
All done here. The upgrade for my MacBook Pro was 341 MB, but completed quickly enough. Also did the Graphics Update (had to run Software Update again to be notified of it).

No difference so far that I notice in performance. I do see the changes to Stacks and to the Menu Bar, but since I have no complaints with the way things were, I am not taking advantage of the new functionality.

XBench Results: The top number is 110.13. Interestingly, my PowerMac G5 only scores 118.30.

I am posting this from my MBP under 10.5.2!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
Yes it's good, what is your print problem?

When I print through the shared printer through my iMac from my MB, sometimes Word, NeoOffice, and Pages unexpectedly quit.

Also their is an iLife update that I found today. Its support for iLife and the NEW Aperture 2.0.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.