Which do you prefer Windows or Linux?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Yeah, you'll definitely want to use Windows for gaming, and that's what most do. See, I have no use for Windows, so I just use my MacBook Pro for everything as well as Linux on my desktop sometimes.
I'm quite happy with my Windows/Linux hybrid desktop PC, but - once I finally have the funds for it - I do intend to get a MacBook as my mobile computer (currently I have an Asus EeePC netbook running Ubuntu; it does for basic stuff, but it's nothing great).

In my experience, desktop PCs are generally customisable enough that one can optimise hardware compatibility, but I've never had a laptop PC (running Windows or Linux) where I have no problems with drivers breaking & battery usage skyrocketing, so the hardware/software synergy of OS X & a Mac would be ideal for my mobile device.

Eventually, I intend to add some extra HDDs, run my PC as a headless NAS server, and set-up remote desktop access between it & the MacBook so it can function as a thin client when I need to use Windows apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I use linux as my primary desktop OS. I have a mini w/ Mavericks, and a G4MDD w/ Tiger in my basement and I run them headless via VNC.
I used unix at school in the 80s, and linux at a national lab site in the 90s and 2000s. I worked for Apple pre-OS X.
I found that fixing problems and setting up linux helped me learn things that were applicable to OS X. So, I enjoy linux for the learning experience - the challenge. I don't do windows (but I have a netbook and a desktop with XP dual booted).

Reaction score
It only took you a year to add to your previous comments. That's a lot of contemplating! ;) I ran Ubuntu in a dual boot with Windows for a number of years, however, Linux, any flavor is not for everyone. While the latest versions of Ubuntu have come a long way both in managing hardware and available software, it still requires a good deal of user input in getting it to run right. It's better than Windows in my opinion, but I'll still take OS X over it any day...

A year to make the comment AND it was redundant anyway considering my previous remarks (more contemplating for this reply). The last three years have been confusing with lots of trips back and forth to the UK (or is that to be the Disunited Kingdom?) (nothing to do with computers but the Macbook Air and DropBox makes it a lot easier).

Reaction score
Windows vs Linux

Have to agree.

Linux is far too fragile, and once something's broken, it tends to be overly complicated to fix.

Linux is a fun toy if you can't afford a real OS, but that's about it.

(runs, hides!)

Since I run Linux as a VM under Fusion, if it gives trouble, I just get an older version of the VM from the Time Machine. It takes about fifteen minutes and I don't need to be there all the time it is happening.

(A bit early for the yearly comment, but I happened to be visiting for other reasons).

John F

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.