Notebook protective casings/bags/sleeves thread

Reaction score
Of those two, the NeoCase is better for going inside another bag, but for the ultimate 'bag in bag' protection, you may want to look at the Endo from InfoCase.

Best,

Ben
---------------------------------------------------------
neo-fight.tv - {The Weekly Technology Podcast}

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB
i hate speck case =( i just discovered the scratches it made on my macbook =( so diappointed

i would have been happier and better off without it and had those hairline scratches it'll get over time through use, instead now i have spots of deep and wide scratches caused by the thing itself that should've been protecting it =(

Reaction score
i hate speck case =( i just discovered the scratches it made on my macbook =( so diappointed

i would have been happier and better off without it and had those hairline scratches it'll get over time through use, instead now i have spots of deep and wide scratches caused by the thing itself that should've been protecting it =(

I just did a quick search, in case this happens to me to. Maybe this will help (although doubtful:( ):IceCreme.

Has anyone tried to do some restoration on scratches? Any successes?

Reaction score
Hi,
I know a lot of people responded already but I just had to respond. I have had mine for a little over 2 weeks now, and it's fabulous. I got the pink one - of course - and it's great. Makes your Mac look even cooler - is that even possible? Enjoy!

Reaction score
Reaction score
Sleves: so many to choose from!!

Hi I'm buying a sleeve and don't know which one to get. I was orginally looking at neopreme but was told they don't give much protection and can stain your laptop (is this true?). I have found two which I like which are not neopreme but i don't know which of the two following to get could you please give me your opinions on them and if you have one of them could you tell me your personal experiences with them.

Incase Canvas Sleeve : http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=4907E851&nplm=TL691LL/A
Brenthave Edge 1 : http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=9703779&nplm=TH387LL/A

Or does anybody have good experiences with another sleeve they would reccomend me. Thanks

Adam :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3G Black Macbook 2.16ghz, 2gb, 160gb
my friend has the incase canvas sleeve. he says he is totally satisfied with it, and it looks very nice.

i went for a wrapper sleeve, because i just needed something to protect the macbook while it was in a normal school bag - meaning i didnt have to carry a laptop bag around and advertise the fact i have a 900 pound laptop about my person

http://www.wrappers.typepad.com/ipod/

thats their web page. they are a UK based company, but i expect they will ship to the US

really recommend their sleeves, they are hand made and can be customised,

Reaction score
I copied and pasted my post from another thread:

I got the MacBook sleeve from Brenthaven. While it looks very plain (who cares? it's going to stay in the backpack anyways...) it's one of the best quality sleeves I've seen and for only $20! It's got dense foam padding on ALL SIDES, including the top! The bottom is maybe 1/2 inch thick too. There's also a hard cardboard reinforcement on the front, back, and bottom to make it even tougher. It feels like a hard cover book for comparison. I can't help but highly recommend this if your still in the market for a sleeve carry in your backpack. Fortunately I got this in time, as it seems they're on backorder right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook white 13' Core 2 duo 2.0 Ghz, 1.5 G Ram, 160 GB Hard Drive
I have a clear one for my macbook and I'm glad I invested in it. It will show light scratches and the occasional scuff marks. Having it on does not make it heavier and it's really made to specs and form fitting (the holes for the fans and jack, etc all line up). Only issue I had is it is an absolute pain to take off the bottom one. When I went to upgrade my Ram and Hard drive, i struggled to take it off as it is clamped on tight and almost broke the clear shell.
HOwever, despite all of that, it protects my macbook and i'm pleased with the product. It was $65 cdn at a store, maybe cheaper on ebay.

Reaction score
I have a clear one for my macbook and I'm glad I invested in it. It will show light scratches and the occasional scuff marks. Having it on does not make it heavier and it's really made to specs and form fitting (the holes for the fans and jack, etc all line up). Only issue I had is it is an absolute pain to take off the bottom one. When I went to upgrade my Ram and Hard drive, i struggled to take it off as it is clamped on tight and almost broke the clear shell.
HOwever, despite all of that, it protects my macbook and i'm pleased with the product. It was $65 cdn at a store, maybe cheaper on ebay.

In case you didn't know, on the Speck website they have a tip for cases that are hard to remove: slide a credit card (or something similar) in between the case and macbook, through the clip. Mine is difficult to remove and I need to do this everytime I need to remove it.

Reaction score
I copied and pasted my post from another thread:

I got the MacBook sleeve from Brenthaven. While it looks very plain (who cares? it's going to stay in the backpack anyways...) it's one of the best quality sleeves I've seen and for only $20! It's got dense foam padding on ALL SIDES, including the top! The bottom is maybe 1/2 inch thick too. There's also a hard cardboard reinforcement on the front, back, and bottom to make it even tougher. It feels like a hard cover book for comparison. I can't help but highly recommend this if your still in the market for a sleeve carry in your backpack. Fortunately I got this in time, as it seems they're on backorder right now.

Are you talking about the sleeve i mentioned above with the link or a different Brenthaven sleve?

Reaction score
From personal experience: my mate got one for his macbook, his MB was not scratched at all when he put it on as he invested i a Speck case when he bought his MB he took it off about 2 weeks later as some dirt had gavered under it. He dropped the macbook once in this two week period. When taking of the case the visile scratches from the case rubbing against the Mb were unbelievable and scratches made when trying to take it off. Stay away from this product. By droppig it all the case did was make it worse: the case just hit against the MB and he now has a rather deep scratch in one side. After seeing his MB first hand i am definately not buying one of these cases. Also it didn't look that great with it on. Personally, IMo, i would not buy this product and just buy a decent sleeve to always keep it in and when using it ust make sure your carefull. You can allways buy stickers for it to prevent minor scratching.

Adam

Reaction score
Yes, sorry I forgot the link: Brenthaven

Looks like the one you picked might offer similar protection, just in a more stylish package. The one I bought looks more like it's meant to be carried in a backpack (although it does come w/ straps to carry like a vertical messenger bag), but it's only $20.

Reaction score
Yeah I was wondering if the hardshell cases, like Speck or Techshell, were necessary or even useful.

A strong skin or sticker (invissheild, macstyle) should protect the macbook from scratches on an iffy surface (which could easily be solved by putting a text book or even a blanket under). Unless the Macbook, which I'm about to purchase, is really easily damaged, I don't see how anyone would need a hardcase...a notebook is about portability but not Australian outback durability.

I guess I'll stop buy the Apple store and test this out....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
I would suggest that people try out the Techshell, Macbook-Case or the Bookshell from Macessity instead of the Speck hardshell.

I just bought the Macessity Bookshell (because I couldn't find a decent seller for the Techshell and there weren't any clear or black ones available). I haven't read many reviews about it yet (it's riskier buy something that hasn't been looked at carefully, but there isn't anything negative either). Anyway, I mainly made this purchase because:

- It's a newer product.
- I'm obsessed with keeping my machinery clean and safe.
- The shell is FLAT and doesn't have the style of the Speck (which has a design that I don't like).
- The port spaces are completely bare (instead of cut-out shapes like the Speck) so there is less of a chance to get a defective product.
- There are 6 more vent holes for the Macbook to breathe (the Bookshell has 80 slots, whereas the Speck has 74).
- You can still fit it into a sleeve (I think this goes for the other shells too though).

I will write a review once I receive the product (I'm not affiliated with the company in any way). To be honest, the main reason I am not going to buy the Speck shell is because I have heard too many people having issues with the shell scratching the macbook and resulting in more scratches than what would have occurred had there been no cover at all.

Reaction score
The one you bought seems to be quite a good one aswell but i think i prefer the style of the other one!

Reaction score
Personally i don't think a hardshell is needed at all. By addig one the Mac looses it elegance and makes it look cheap. The only time i can see it being possibly usefull is if you are putting your macbook in a bag without a sleeve. But sleeves add more protection becasue you don't have the risk of scratching it with a sleeve wheras the cases scratch the MB's. Personally i would just invest in a good sleeve.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.