Yosemite upgrade from Snow Leopard (10.6.8) won't start

Reaction score
I have a Mac running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and when I go to the App Store and click on the Yosemite option nothing happens. I click "get", it turns grey, and then does nothing. Any ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a Mac running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and when I go to the App Store and click on the Yosemite option nothing happens. I click "get", it turns grey, and then does nothing. Any ideas?

You didn't say what model Mac you have. But my first guess is…your Mac is on the older side…and it cannot run Yosemite.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You didn't say what model Mac you have. But my first guess is…your Mac is on the older side…and it cannot run Yosemite.

- Nick

And even if it does qualify, the OP may want to do some checking and decide if they really want to upgrade to Yosemite. ;) :D

C

chas_m

There's an identical thread about this already ... I think from the same poster. Mods, if you could merge this ...

OP
C
Reaction score
Oh, that is the same problem I have been facing. I didn't create the other thread though. Glad to know I'm not the only one with the issue. It's actually a friend of mine's computer so I don't have the exact model info but its a 27 inch iMac purchased new in 2011. Is it possible to update from 10.6.8 to any other version of OS X besides Yosemite? Would it be possible for me to upgrade it to Mountain Lion or Mavericks?

C

chas_m

cpbreton, you're definitely qualified to download and install Yosemite on that machine. No other version of OS X is available for download unless you previously purchased it from the Mac App Store.

OP
C
Reaction score
That's what I thought. So I have no idea why when I click "get" nothing happens. When I check the "check status of unfinished downloads" it tells me everything is done. Ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.9 GHz 6-Core i9 MacOS 14.4.1; iPhone SE 3rd Gen iOS 17.4.1;
Have you checked whether the installation app “Install OS X Yosemite.app” has appeared in your Applications folder?
I find that the download seems to disappears somewhere, but ends up finishing successfully.

OP
C
Reaction score
Have you checked whether the installation app “Install OS X Yosemite.app” has appeared in your Applications folder?
I find that the download seems to disappears somewhere, but ends up finishing successfully.

I'll take a look. Basically, after clicking "get" or "free upgrade" from the App Store, no discernible activity takes place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll take a look. Basically, after clicking "get" or "free upgrade" from the App Store, no discernible activity takes place.

As verdi1901 posted, the App Store "purchases" when downloaded, installs them into the Applications folder.

Many users have been puzzled, especially when almost everything else gets downloaded to a designated "Downloads" folder. But the App Store "Purchases" tab window should say "Downloaded" or "Installed". But not hint as to actually where… :(

Reaction score
Actually i can answer this very easy are you trying to download yosemite from the app store via wireless if so stop you cant you have to be wired to the internet directly or the download fails

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Actually i can answer this very easy are you trying to download yosemite from the app store via wireless if so stop you cant you have to be wired to the internet directly or the download fails

If I understand you correctly…your saying folks cannot download Yosemite via WiFi?? If so…this is totally incorrect!

- Nick

p.s. Also…you've been asked before. PLEASE use punctuation & capitalization!!! Your post contains at least 4 sentences…and you've not used any periods & caps when needed. It's VERY difficult to follow someone's thoughts if they do not use punctuation.

OP
C
Reaction score

It's not on wireless...in fact, there is no wireless router at this location.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I understand you correctly…your saying folks cannot download Yosemite via WiFi?? If so…this is totally incorrect!

- Nick
… … ...

Wow, some users with some recent Mac portables without an Ethernet port or a TB/ E'net adapter would sure be in a bind with the advice he provided!! :D

Reaction score
it only affects iMac's

he said he had a iMac certain models of iMacs lose internet connection on wifi after downloading 3 gig's of data on the app store it is a bug that does show up time to time i recently had to deal with it on my friends machine as well it was really stupid once i connected it to lan it downloaded no problems no failures

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it only affects iMac's

he said he had a iMac certain models of iMacs lose internet connection on wifi after downloading 3 gig's of data on the app store it is a bug that does show up time to time i recently had to deal with it on my friends machine as well it was really stupid once i connected it to lan it downloaded no problems no failures

Wow, that's a double-whammy hit, and maybe should have have been a warning omen - wi-fi problems to just download Yosemite and then followed by many with wi-fi problems when Yosemite was finally downloaded and installed. Not good… :(

Reaction score
i know it's been a mess it took my mom's macbook air 7 1/2 hours on a wireless n+ network to download it

Reaction score
Same Here

I am having the EXACT same issue. The "Get" button just goes gray. I have a Macbook Pro from 2010.

- 128 GB free on my hard drive so that's not an issue

Not sure if a conversation about WiFi is going to help resolve this issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am having the EXACT same issue. The "Get" button just goes gray. I have a Macbook Pro from 2010.

- 128 GB free on my hard drive so that's not an issue

Not sure if a conversation about WiFi is going to help resolve this issue.

It seems that you're not alone with the problem:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6720527

Maybe it's some guidance trying to tell you something and you don't really need it or won't like it??? ;) :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.