• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Yosemite ! how do you pronounce it ?

Reaction score
I assume you mean buffet as in food. Or perhaps you mean buffet - to hit something with great force repeatedly, as in wind, rain, etc.

I believe Americans pronounce buffet (food), buff-ay with the emphasis on the last syllable.
English people pronounce it boofay with no emphasis on either syllable, but with the oo slightly shortened.
The French pronounce it boofay with no emphasis on either syllable.
In Holland it is pronounced ber-fet, with the emphasis on fet.

Seeing that buffet is a French word, it would seem that the way it is pronounced in England is closer to the original.

Yes, sorry, as in food. However in my limited (17 years) experience of living in England, the Brits that I knew all pronounced it buff-IT. Perhaps it varies by region? I lived in Reading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rmbp 2.6 GHz i5 8GB Iris Graphics, late 2013
Yes, sorry, as in food. However in my limited (17 years) experience of living in England, the Brits that I knew all pronounced it buff-IT. Perhaps it varies by region? I lived in Reading.

The pronunciation of buffet in England doesn't vary from region to region and in my 75 years on this earth I have only heard the word pronounced buffit on a few occasions and this is usually (and I know this is going to sound awful and I do not mean to sound snobbish or superior here) only by less well-educated people, or more likely by someone pronouncing it that way as a joke.

English people have been known to have a sense of humour (or should that be humor?).

Reaction score
The pronunciation of buffet in England doesn't vary from region to region and in my 75 years on this earth I have only heard the word pronounced buffit on a few occasions and this is usually (and I know this is going to sound awful and I do not mean to sound snobbish or superior here) only by less well-educated people, or more likely by someone pronouncing it that way as a joke.

English people have been known to have a sense of humour (or should that be humor?).

Interesting. A few people I knew were uneducated, but since I was a visiting professor at Reading (U of), most of my colleagues and friends would fit in the well educated category. I also find it difficult to believe that they were all trying to 'wind me up.' But then, you sly old Brits do seem to enjoy winding us colonials up! ;-) I'll be back for a visit in October, perhaps I'll remember to ask some o me mates to pronounce it for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rmbp 2.6 GHz i5 8GB Iris Graphics, late 2013
Interesting. A few people I knew were uneducated, but since I was a visiting professor at Reading (U of), most of my colleagues and friends would fit in the well educated category. I also find it difficult to believe that they were all trying to 'wind me up.' But then, you sly old Brits do seem to enjoy winding us colonials up! ;-) I'll be back for a visit in October, perhaps I'll remember to ask some o me mates to pronounce it for me.

I hope you enjoy your visit.

Reaction score
I hope you enjoy your visit.

Oh, I know I will. When I first moved there, I met with another Yank whom I knew that had a position at Oxford. He told me that I would find the standard of living much lower (than that to which I was accustomed), but that the quality of life would be much greater. Indeed he was correct. It was a quality of life that I had experienced only once before (when I was in grad school); thus the majority of my friends live in England, so it is always a delight to return for a holiday.

Many thanks for the good wishes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
So this is the pronunciation thread, eh?

On the original word in question, I've seen several creative spellings of it on the forum.

But since we've gone off topic, one of my most frequent cringe moments (and I hope I didn't mention this already) is hearing people (mostly on TV) pronounce Las Vegas as Los Vegas. (The forum doesn't seem to like Las or Los, as both get the red dashed underline.) I haven't kept stats, but my impression is that it's pronounced incorrectly far more often than correctly. I even have an old LP of a live concert in which the artist, talking to the audience between songs, says "Los Vegas".

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A bit of Spanish grammar: Vegas (meadows or plains) is feminine and so it must be used with Las (the feminine plural for "the"). Los would be incorrect. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, angels are masculine?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Really?? It can be debated if all are men or some are women or even genderless but appearing as they wish.

Zechariah 5:9-11 (NIV)
9 Then I looked up—and there before me were two women, with the wind in their wings! They had wings like those of a stork, and they lifted up the basket between heaven and earth.
10 “Where are they taking the basket?” I asked the angel who was speaking to me.
11 He replied, “To the country of Babylonia[a] to build a house for it. When the house is ready, the basket will be set there in its place.”

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
The word "raise" can have opposite meanings, did you know? You can raise the window upwards, but you "raise" the building into a mass of rubble. You wonder how these words ever came to be.

I think you 'raze' a building.

Yours pedant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Yours pedant.

I thought someone already caught that. Then there's me... I did post about Las Vegas twice in this thread. :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" late 2009 (10,1) El Cap; MBP early 2011 (8,1) Mavericks

Yours pedant.

Well, one can raise a building - barns for example - but doing so isn't tearing them down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, High Sierra; iPad 3rd Gen, 32 GB, iOS 9; iPhone 5E, 64 GB, iOS 11
I've noticed that about 99% of news people on TV have trouble saying the name of a major US city correctly. It's in Nevada, and they say what happens there stays there. But it's not called "Los Vegas"!

I've noticed that 99.9% of people mispronounce my home town of "Honolulu" it comes out as Hanalulu. It is a Hawaiian proper noun. Vowels have one an only one sound without exception and every letter is pronounced. Actually there are a number of languages that have vowels with one sound. Hawaiian, most Romance languages except French, Japanese come to mind. Hawaiian and Japanese words are almost unintelligible when us Westerners attempt them. In Hawaiian and Japanese: "a" pronounced like the "a" in "par" or "bar"; "e" pronounced like "eh"?; "i" pronounced like the double "ee" like at the end of "committee" but shortened (check how many people pronounce "wiki" correctly - mostly wrong, it is Hawaiian pronounced like "wee-key"); "o" pronounced like the "o" in "** ** **"; "u" like the "u" in "fubar". As with Hawaiian and Japanese, in Spanish, Las Vegas, follow the same vowel sounds above. BTW the car is named after Soichiro Honda, is, using the above guide, is pronounced Honda (with the "o" sound above) not Handa (remember it is the founder's family name).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've noticed that 99.9% of people mispronounce my home town of "Honolulu" it comes out as Hanalulu. ...

My kind of post! So, phonetically, as close as I can come without the accent marks (what are those called?) it would be Hone-O-lew-lew, right? I confess to having mispronounced it for years! I used to live in Illinois, and remember as a kid that the populace was just then learning that the 's' is silent.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've noticed that 99.9% of people mispronounce my home town of "Honolulu" it comes out as Hanalulu.

Having lived and worked there for 8 years (US Govt) I always got a laugh at newcomers when they tried to pronounce some of the Hawaiian names or places. My favorite was when folks referred to the "Like, Like" highway as the English prononciation of "like" as when you like something, rather than "Leakii, Leakii". Loved living there and would have stayed had it not been for an aspiring career and the desire to move upward. (So here I am in Texas, LOL)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, High Sierra; iPad 3rd Gen, 32 GB, iOS 9; iPhone 5E, 64 GB, iOS 11
My kind of post! So, phonetically, as close as I can come without the accent marks (what are those called?) it would be Hone-O-lew-lew, right? I confess to having mispronounced it for years! I used to live in Illinois, and remember as a kid that the populace was just then learning that the 's' is silent.

Yes, you are correct: Hone-O-Lew-Lew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I think it's accent rather than mispronunciation - Brits say Hon whereas Americans say Han. Now is it St Lewis or St Loo-we?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Now is it St Lewis or St Loo-we?

It's Lewis; as in Robert Louis Stevenson (so frequently mispronounced as Loo-ee);D

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.