• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Yosemite ! how do you pronounce it ?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First time I'v known that an OS can or should be 'fun."

I think he meant to some crazy people like me, Troubleshooting and helping Apple with Bugs is a lot of fun and very rewarding! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
The Apple OS Beta; Yosemite, is BY FAR THE MOST AMAZING, MOST STABLE, OS BAR NONE, I HAVE EVER USED IN 25 YEARS!

So far I'd agree with you. I've never used a beta OS before, so far it's a pleasure to use.

BTW, as resident in the UK, I had no trouble with the pronunciation of Yosemite. As it's popular with photographers, it comes up fairly regularly in conversation.

C

chas_m

In addition to all the rest of the helpful advice, the WWDC video keynote mentions Yosemite a lot, so that would be a good way to hear it pronounced.

As for armpit44's statement -- I'm glad he's enjoying it, but I've noticed no difference whatsoever in the "stability" of Yosemite over Mountain Lion or Mavericks. And I have a list as long as your arm of apps that don't work in it, but we'll start with iMovie (latest version).

Just saying that this thing is not yet ready for prime time. It's good, indeed, and when it works its lovely. But there are issues.

Reaction score
I think he meant to some crazy people like me, Troubleshooting and helping Apple with Bugs is a lot of fun and very rewarding! :D
Interesting & thanks for the info. :Blushing: Your activity has served an additional purpose; I was planning on replacing my beloved Snow Leopard with Maverick; now I think I'll wait for Yosemite.

Reaction score
No, if you elevate a building you 'raise' it, but if you 'raze' a building, you demolish it. It's called a homonym: a word that sounds the same but is spelled differently...

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have to say I am enjoying the opportunity to try out a beta OS. So far I have only found a few issues to report but my recollections of regression testing in the 80's are that there are almost as many different ways of doing something on a computer as there are people who use them. I'm sure there a plenty of bugs to find yet.;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rmbp 2.6 GHz i5 8GB Iris Graphics, late 2013
Present in England for a long time but popuarized in recent years under Australian influence (along with "no worries").

I hate being called 'mate' by anyone, particularly by someone who is not my 'mate'. I also detest 'no worries', an inane phrase. :Angry:

Reaction score
I hate being called 'mate' by anyone, particularly by someone who is not my 'mate'. I also detest 'no worries', an inane phrase. :Angry:
That 'mate' business also concerned me when I first moved to England, but I soon learned that it just means friend. Similar to the use of 'buddy' or 'pal' in the US. I found it a lot easier to conform to local speech patterns than it was to get an entire nation to conform to mine. My pet peeve is that the Americans try to banish every word that has a negative connotation. Thus we have "power outages" rather than power failures. Also, apparently no one has any problems; instead they have 'issues.'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Continuing the theme with two of my favourite English place names..

Belvoir (as in Belvoir castle) is pronounced 'Beaver'
In my home Yorkshire (that's Yorkshire - not York-Shire) is Appletreewick but it's pronounced Appt'wick.

Leominster pronounced Lemster.
Tewkesbury pronounced Chooksbree.

And what about people's surnames:

Beauchamp - Beecham
Menzies - Mingiz (Scottish)
Ralph - Rafe
Ranulph - Ralph

The list goes on ad infinitum pronounced ad infinitetm!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hrm, I've heard Brits pronounce it correctly, a few Americans too. Generally though (especially by Americans) non-English words are frequently slaughtered by English speakers.

Pronouncing foreign names/places is very odd. For example, English speaking people refer to the German football team Bayern München as Bayern Munich, which is patently nonsense, using German for the first part and English for the second part. More sensible would be Bavaria Munich - but it doesn't sound right, does it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That 'mate' business also concerned me when I first moved to England, but I soon learned that it just means friend. Similar to the use of 'buddy' or 'pal' in the US. I found it a lot easier to conform to local speech patterns than it was to get an entire nation to conform to mine. My pet peeve is that the Americans try to banish every word that has a negative connotation. Thus we have "power outages" rather than power failures. Also, apparently no one has any problems; instead they have 'issues.'

I am English, but I still hate being called 'mate', or 'my friend'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
And what about people's surnames:

Beauchamp - Beecham

Well, that's just a (mostly southern) U.S. perversion. Obviously a French name, beau: good looking / handsome, and champs: fields.

Reminds me of browsing through carpet samples in one of our "big box" stores. They had one called Beaulieu. The employee said "bee-loo, that's how we say it". I couldn't resist giving it to her in my best (horrible) French pronunciation. She tried it, I repeated it for her, and the second time got closer, save for the obvious contempt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, that's just a (mostly southern) U.S. perversion. Obviously a French name, beau: good looking / handsome, and champs: fields.

Reminds me of browsing through carpet samples in one of our "big box" stores. They had one called Beaulieu. The employee said "bee-loo, that's how we say it". I couldn't resist giving it to her in my best (horrible) French pronunciation. She tried it, I repeated it for her, and the second time got closer, save for the obvious contempt.

I am English and in England Beauchamp is pronounced Beecham. Beaulieu (in England) is pronounced Byoolee. Daft ain't it?:Smirk:

Reaction score
I am English, but I still hate being called 'mate', or 'my friend'.
Interesting. The 'my friend' bothers me more than 'mate' does. I guess I accept the latter as a regional colloquialism whereas the former is a declaration of something that is often untrue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I say it more like Yo-sim-a-tee

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, then that means they pronounce it "Yo-sim-a-tee." I'm glad to hear that, because the British do manage to mangle the pronunciation of other words, for example: buffet. :)

I assume you mean buffet as in food. Or perhaps you mean buffet - to hit something with great force repeatedly, as in wind, rain, etc.

I believe Americans pronounce buffet (food), buff-ay with the emphasis on the last syllable.
English people pronounce it boofay with no emphasis on either syllable, but with the oo slightly shortened.
The French pronounce it boofay with no emphasis on either syllable.
In Holland it is pronounced ber-fet, with the emphasis on fet.

Seeing that buffet is a French word, it would seem that the way it is pronounced in England is closer to the original.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.