Yosemite Bugs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 iMac 20", 2013 iMac 24". 2007 Mini
I had the Yosemite Beta from the first day. So yesterday I did the latest download/install offered from Apple, whatever it is. Some people here say it's just another 'Beta' update... BUT ANYWAY.... so here I am, and I'm reading that some new Mac units are out as of today or yesterday, and so I go to Apple.com to take a look. Rediscover I can't watch Apple's videos with Firefox, so I go over to Safari, which I never use. I watch the vid. Then I try to close and go back to Firefox, and I can't, no matter what I do. I had to shut down and restart. Tried it 3 times, all with the same result. Anyone else?

2008 iMac
OS X 10.10 Yosemite
4GB Ram
500 GB HD @ 20% full

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Rediscover I can't watch Apple's videos with Firefox, so I go over to Safari, which I never use. I watch the vid. Then I try to close and go back to Firefox, and I can't, no matter what I do. I had to shut down and restart. Tried it 3 times, all with the same result. Anyone else?

Title of the thread is "Yosemite Bugs". Have you considered that the problem may be with Firefox and not Yosemite (since the videos work with Safari)? I'm thinking probably not…since the Firefox folks should have updated Firefox to be compatible with 10.10…but you never know.

Just something to consider,:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
People here saying the release is still a BETA are saying that due to issues they are having with the release and calling it still a Beta.

Try what Nick suggested. I never tried FF on Yosemite. I was so impressed with the improvements to Safari I never even though to try it!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Title of the thread is "Yosemite Bugs". Have you considered that the problem may be with Firefox and not Yosemite (since the videos work with Safari)? I'm thinking probably not…since the Firefox folks should have updated Firefox to be compatible with 10.10…but you never know.

Just something to consider,:)

- Nick

Ummm... okay, let me try this again. I don't use Safari. Something just doesn't get it for me with that browser. I have had to go to Safari to view video by Apple in the past... So yes, in that regard, Firefox isn't up to the task. But my main point was that when I went into Safari, I could not get back out of it. No red, yellow or green buttons, right-clicking on Safari's icon on the dock was fruitless... it was like the page had frozen but certain things about it told me it wasn't. Moving the cursor around created the same effect as if you were holding left mouse button down and dragging. Never before saw this in Safari but as stated, I almost never use it.

So then I went back to Mavericks (different drive) and recreated the whole scenario, and didn't have any problems. So, gotta be Yosemite, right?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But my main point was that when I went into Safari, I could not get back out of it. No red, yellow or green buttons, right-clicking on Safari's icon on the dock was fruitless... it was like the page had frozen but certain things about it told me it wasn't.

Ok…that sounds different than the main message I was reading in your initial post. In your first post…I thought your main message was that after updating to Yosemite you couldn't watch some sort of video in Firefox…but you could watch the video in Safari (which sounded like a positive thing).:)

With the info you mentioned in your 2nd post…I can see how the main issue mentioned in post #1 was with Safari & not FireFox.

It will be interesting to see if other folks upgrading to Yosemite & using Safari…run into the same problem. There has got to be an awful lot of these folks (given that Safari is many folks default browser).

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update...

Turns out that it seems to be a problem with just that one vid... the others are working well... just the vid on the new retina iMac doesn't seem to want to work.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok…that sounds different than the main message I was reading in your initial post. In your first post…I thought your main message was that after updating to Yosemite you couldn't watch some sort of video in Firefox…but you could watch the video in Safari (which sounded like a positive thing).:)

With the info you mentioned in your 2nd post…I can see how the main issue mentioned in post #1 was with Safari & not FireFox.

- Nick

I never could watch apple's vids in Firefox...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Turns out that it seems to be a problem with just that one vid... the others are working well... just the vid on the new retina iMac doesn't seem to want to work.

Thanks for the update.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
People here saying the release is still a BETA are saying that due to issues they are having with the release and calling it still a Beta.

Try what Nick suggested. I never tried FF on Yosemite. I was so impressed with the improvements to Safari I never even though to try it!

You know, I was wondering why the feedback assistant icon was still in the dock after yesterday....

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The magic to getting out of any stuck application is the force quite dialog: Option-Command-Esc. If that happens again, keep that magic key combination in mind.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder if other folks have had the same experience.

- Nick

Well, let me again try to clarify....

I can go to Apple.com and look at most vids where they are showing their products. It's stuff like the keynotes and coverage at WWDC that Firefox seems to have trouble with, and most recently was the WWDC where it seemed somewhere I read that it was ONLY viewable in Safari.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I never could watch apple's vids in Firefox...

I just downloaded FireFox…installed it…and watched the new iMac Apple video. This is the video narrated by Apple's Dan Riccio on the new iMac.

As I suspected…no problems. :) Not sure what's up on your end.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The magic to getting out of any stuck application is the force quite dialog: Option-Command-Esc. If that happens again, keep that magic key combination in mind.

Did that. It was a no-go...

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just downloaded FireFox…installed it…and watched the new iMac Apple video.

As I suspected…no problems. :) Not sure what's up on your end.

- Nick

Awww no!! Don't tell me the "coconut wireless" (TWC Hawaii) strikes again!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awww no!! Don't tell me the "coconut wireless" (TWC Hawaii) strikes again!!

You said that you could "never" watch Apple videos on Firefox. So that would include now (since updating to Yosemite)…and before (when you were running older OS versions).

If the issue is with your ISP…it's been a long standing issue.:(

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You said that you could "never" watch Apple videos on Firefox. So that would include now (since updating to Yosemite)…and before (when you were running older OS versions).

If the issue is with your ISP…it's been a long standing issue.:(

- Nick

So okay... just to clarify... one should be able to run Apple's videos in browsers other than Safari?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So okay... just to clarify... one should be able to run Apple's videos in browsers other than Safari?

Sure thing…I just did it on FireFox.:) And I don't see any reason why I wouldn't be able to do it with Chrome.:)

If there's one thing that alternate browsers running on Apple computers should be able to do is…communicate properly with Apple.com (including Apple website videos).:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

And why not? It would be crazy for Apple to only allow their videos to be viewed with Safari. Now if it were Microsoft..... IE or nothing! :Evil:

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And why not? It would be crazy for Apple to only allow their videos to be viewed with Safari. Now if it were Microsoft..... IE or nothing! :Evil:

I hear THAT!! lol

Had to go to Safari to view the last WWDC... curious about this...

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.