XP Security > X Security

N

Nightblade

Then shouldn't the title of this thread be "XP Security < X Security", or "X Security > XP Security". The "</>" symbols should always have the vertex point at the lesser of the two. The two vertices always face the greater.

But of course, now that I've actually read the article, I can see that apparently XP is MORE secure than OS X. That is some frightening news, my friend...So why did you finish up by saying "OS X rules"? Sarcasm? After all, this article is insulting OS X and saying that in a particular factor, it's inferior to XP.

Pretty disturbing, if you ask me....

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
"Windows is more secure than you think, and Mac OS X is worse than you ever imagined."

XP Security > X Security is right.

Now that I read your edit... yeah, because I know everyone is going to be "ohz it dont mattr, os x rulz" so I thought I would be sarcastic.

N

Nightblade

Still, even though OS X had the highest percentage of extremely critical vulnerabilities, it still had the lowest number of actual advisories between 2003 and 2004, 10 less than XP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Is this actually true? Xp is MORE secure the OS X???? I just bought a Dual 2 G5....please tell me OS X is more secure...I didn't just spend 5k for something that looks pretty....Did I?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
No one has taken advantage of these holes yet... but when an exploit is created, you'll know about it and you will be able to protect yourself against it somehow. Then a week or so later, a fix may come out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Absolute Zero said:
No one has taken advantage of these holes yet... but when an exploit is created, you'll know about it and you will be able to protect yourself against it somehow. Then a week or so later, a fix may come out.

So, you are saying that Windows has a superior security system to the Mac, but the Mac's just hasn't been exploited....Yeah...I'd say I'm starting to get worried.....I paid a premium price for an inferior system...Wow...I feel great :mad:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
The entire article is nothing worth worrying about. They are using their own arbitrary criteria for determining what a critical issue is. Also, Windows issues and OS X issues are very different. Windows doesn't have the same security methods so comparing would be hard.

The reality is, OS X is MUCH more secure in the real world. Of all the updates posted since OS X came out, only ONE was considered critical by Apple. Over 1/2 of Microsoft's updates were labled critical.

I have administered all three (Windows/Linux/OS X) types of servers and the Windows servers take much more work to keep running. My Linux server requires an occasional bit of maintenance and the OS X has never required anything more than the occasional Update from Apple. It just keeps running.

Enjoy your Macs. They are far superior to PCs when it comes to viruses, spyware and crashing. Linux is comparable to OS X but OS X has a far superior GUI.

Jerry

D

d4rr3n

I wouldn't get too worked up over it applejustworks. There is no such thing as a 100% secure system and there never will be, everything has holes. OSX still has a major advantage over XP when it comes to viruses, worms, trojans, scripts, spyware, etc etc. I'd be more concerned about the money you spent on hardware than the operating system. If you wanted a secure OS and a powerful machine you could've bought an imac for using OS X and built a pc that would outperform the g5 and still have $1,500-2,000 left over easily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Simple, to be correct just replace the idiot article with GLJones post. Done

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No Jones, no. It's nothing to worry about yet, but when there are exploits for these holes, then we will have to worry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
if you guys have carefuly read the articles by secunia you would notice that they do not specify which os X they tested. I think they are trying to mess with our minds.
at some point (on one if the linked pages) they describe vulnerability of 10.2 jaguar.
panther was never speaked of, as if it does not exist. as for windows Xp, they refer to the latest release. once again, they are avoiding to specify the Mac os X version and alway refer to it as X. I think this whole thing is froud and it wery well colides with resent XP "security bust up" bill gates was speaking of at the begining of the year.
has anyone heard of https secure server based on windows technology? NO, most of them are UNIX systems, it speaks for itself, doesnt it?
of course there are holes in X, but the data given by secunia is not an objective evaluation of OS X security

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
There is a way to make sure your system is secure. Just don't take it out the box and don't turn it on. :p You can not be more secure than that, unless someone steals the box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for all the support guys! d4rr3n, I didn't do that for several reasons:

1. What are you basing your comment on: "..built a pc that could outperform the g5"?
2. Even If I did believe there was a faster home built machine (I'm assuming you're calling the g5 slower when it has 1 GB Ram..Show me a home built PC with 8GBs of ram, and then tell me the PCs faster...lol) I wouldn't want to go super fast, and then crash every 10 minutes...I bought a Mac to escape from Doz...Doz is a living, or should I say not living, nightmare...
3. I Love the design and architecture of the G5....The G5 was designed well, which is why it is so clean inside, and everything looks like it meant to go there. PC's are cramped.. If you try hard enough, you CAN fit everything inside a PC, it's just I'd rather have a machine that is designed for everything to have a place, more than a machine where I should "squeeze" everything in...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
That worthless article is a waste of a website, and spent more worthless text babbling about Linux, troll - o - matic pest!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
witeshark said:
That worthless article is a waste of a website, and spent more worthless text babbling about Linux, troll - o - matic pest!
Face it. OS X is full of holes. It's been known for a long time, it's just prooved now.

D

d4rr3n

ApplejustWorks said:
thanks for all the support guys! d4rr3n, I didn't do that for several reasons:

1. What are you basing your comment on: "..built a pc that could outperform the g5"?
2. Even If I did believe there was a faster home built machine (I'm assuming you're calling the g5 slower when it has 1 GB Ram..Show me a home built PC with 8GBs of ram, and then tell me the PCs faster...lol) I wouldn't want to go super fast, and then crash every 10 minutes...I bought a Mac to escape from Doz...Doz is a living, or should I say not living, nightmare...
3. I Love the design and architecture of the G5....The G5 was designed well, which is why it is so clean inside, and everything looks like it meant to go there. PC's are cramped.. If you try hard enough, you CAN fit everything inside a PC, it's just I'd rather have a machine that is designed for everything to have a place, more than a machine where I should "squeeze" everything in...

Hey, if you want to believe the benchmarks apple gives you then fine. Looking at the website you'll see that most of the time apple doesn't even use the same program to compare the 2 systems. It's not a benchmark if you use 2 different programs on each system to compare them. Why was apples specs for the p4 and amd so much lower than the program makers listed examples for them? Why was the fps apple listed so much lower than what everyone else gets running the same game? I prefer the numerous INDEPENDENT comparisons like this http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112749,pg,8,00.asp . Keep in mind that these are comparisons of STOCK systems. You can overclock a p4 or amd64 and get 25-50% improvement over what a stock system would get you. And about the ram, 8gb of slower ram isn't going to help speed any. Once you get over 1-2gb of ram it's MUCH more important how fast you are running it than how much you have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Absolute Zero said:
Face it. OS X is full of holes. It's been known for a long time, it's just prooved now.
That's simply completely wrong and ignorant Example: Mac users don't have this fun play time, registry!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Absolute.....Do you have a clue what you are talking about? I trust users like Witeshark, Graphite, Murlyn, Skad.....who are you compared to them?

It seems you are on your on on this besides your support from that pathetic article...Go back to Windows world is you think it's so much better...Have fun with Mr. Blue Screen of Death, and the lovely registry...*Shoo!!!*

D

d4rr3n

ApplejustWorks said:
Absolute.....Do you have a clue what you are talking about? I trust users like Witeshark, Graphite, Murlyn, Skad.....who are you compared to them?

It seems you are on your on on this besides your support from that pathetic article...Go back to Windows world is you think it's so much better...Have fun with Mr. Blue Screen of Death, and the lovely registry...*Shoo!!!*

Who is absolute zero compared to them? Well, he/she is just someone sitting in front of their computer posting their opinions about computers on an internet forum.....just like everyone else here. Each persons word should carry no more weight than anyone else's here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.