Word for mac

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Why not simply get software straight from the developers? This would be the easiest way to ensure that you get quality software without having to worry about whether or not a site is reputable.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
well i downloaded libreoffice and it is a disk image. i was able to open it. i tried to open an ordinary docs document and it would not open. error message popped up.
grrrr

so i tried a pdf file and was able to open it.
like with all new apps/softwares....is bit of challenge.
first i check to see if it will do what i typically do in many of my files. if not, i check to see if there is an alternative option. all this takes time.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What error message did you get? I haven't used LibreOffice in a while but it was pretty good about opening most documents unless the file was corrupted.

Reaction score
I know there have been a few comments on Pages here, but I'd like to add my two cents, especially having used Word for both Mac and Windows extensively in the past.

Pages does a lot of things right. I like the interface for the most part, and it has most of the basic features for word processing. When it first came out, I was comparing it more with the old AppleWorks/ClarisWorks program, but it definitely has grown a bit since then.

For me, the weaknesses are as follows:

--It does have a few quirks, like being unpredictable when dragging pictures into a document. Sometimes, they just seem to go where they want to. This, to me, is a bug that needs to be addressed. I'm willing to put up with it only since I don't do it a lot, but it should pick one or the other--aligning with text or being a draggable object--and make that the default (with customization, too).

--It doesn't automatically correct double capitals in a lot of cases, nor can it be trained to automatically correct frequently mistyped words. Word 97 for Windows did that, and it came out 18 years ago! Come on, Apple, get with the program here!!

--There is no built in equation editor. For someone who tutors people in math, this is a serious drawback, and the reason I kept an older computer around running Word for OS X for a while. Thankfully, MathMagic Lite is free and imports easily to Pages (and also Keynote). Still, you'd think Apple would get with the program, as I know for a fact there's an equation editor in Word 5.1 for Mac--from the early 90s!!

--The lack of sorting is indeed frustrating. Even WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS can do that!!! Numbers can sort alphabetically, so I just will use that and copy/paste if I have to alphabetize.

To me, these are some quirks, but look at the PRICE. Pages is FREE these days, and it used to be inexpensive when compared to Word.

Verdict--go with Pages unless you have some serious feature of Word that you absolutely cannot live without.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well Pages sure ain't free Down Under. AUD$24.99.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are free with the purchase of a new Mac. Apple began offering them for free with the 2012 models and has continued offering them free. Note that the apps are not preloaded but will appear as (updates) downloads the first time you access the Mac App Store. Aside from that, I disagree with the previous post about Pages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes sir and so do I. Just pointing out it is cheaper to buy office than a new Mac and Pages is a terrible program compared to where it was way back in 2008.

C

chas_m

Yes sir and so do I. Just pointing out it is cheaper to buy office than a new Mac and Pages is a terrible program compared to where it was way back in 2008.

It's actually not. I have them both and use the newer one all the time. It's frankly far better for my needs than the old one ... I never liked the inspector approach and was delighted they got rid of it. When they rebuilt Pages a couple of years ago now it was initially quite rough, but that was a long time ago.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have been using Apache Open Office for a long time and have found it a viable replacement for the MS Office for Mac suite although it does take a little learning files can usually be saved simply as the MS Office equivalents. I am by coincidence currently downloading the new version 4.1.1 so it will be interesting to see what changes have occurred. This is not available as an update, you need to trash the older version and download the whole package so i'm not sure what to expect.

100MillAOO100px.png

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i can open a few pdf files using libre but it seems won't open pages docs.
i used GRAB app but image saved in .tiff and need to export as png in order to attach.
first big box is message...then after trying to repair, got second message...smaller box.

may i should try to use apache open office instead.

png error mssg 1.pn.png

png error mssg2.pn.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The "Pages" file format is proprietary to Apple and I don't believe those files can be read by either Libre or Open Office suites. That's one of the disadvantages of using iWork apps if you need to maintain compatibility with other users such as in a corporate or educational environment. I like Pages and do use it on occasion but the files I create with it are strictly for my own use. Whenever I need to exchange files, I always resort back to Word which is the de facto standard. However, Pages does have the ability to save to docx. Have you tried that?

Reaction score
Pages can import and export Word files, plus it can convert to PDF. I use these features all the time with Pages since most people, as stated previously, do use Word in the corporate environment.

I run my own business so the ability to correspond with clients is crucial, and Pages has done just fine thus far--and I've been at this for a few years now.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well i have just seen on the net that office 2016 standalone (office 365 not required) is available. one comment I did read was that it does not offer phone support. I was wondering if i misinterpreted that comment.
does any have any knowledge of the differences between buying office2016 standalone as opposed to get office 2016 with office 365.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why would you need phone support? Office 2016 is still Office and works pretty much the same as any other version of Office. The stand alone version can only be purchased direct from Microsoft (as of right now) and sells for $149.99 US for one install. (Home and Student version) The Canadian price will no doubt be higher. You can check the Microsoft Store site and see the differences between the subscription version and the stand alone.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thnx chscag
I shall compare prices to both. I wuld like to download the trial test version. Do you have a link?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't seen a trial version for download, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. Go to the MS store and take a look. I used the preview when it was available.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi all
to heck with all the research and testing out word.
i have heard that Word2016 stand alone is available but I can't seem to find it.
i decided to buy the new word 2016 for MAC and buy it. not the one where you need office 365 and pay a monthly fee.
does anyone know where I could download/buy a copy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
May be getting a tad confused with all the different names. Office 2016 for Mac is available from this link, towards the bottom of the page, at US$149.00 full purchase price. Like all MS Office products, suitable for one install only nowadays, but you can delete from one computer and install on another. The release of stand alone Word 2016 is for PCs.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/cat/All-Office/categoryID.69403900

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks harryb2448
from the link you sent, i finally found the office2016 for mac. i did view some of the ratings and it seems that not many are too pleased with it especially the fact that it does not work well with el capitan. i still have yosemite and fairly new at using Macs and unsure as to what I should buy.

As much as I like Word and have used it for eons.....i really do not want to get office 365 and pay a month fee.
i would rather buy word2016 outright. i will have to just wait until some things are ironed out with this office 2016 for Macs.
so until i can see there are more favorable comments on it, I will hold off buying it.
after all, i still have use of my old windows PC!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I cn understand tht Lori. I would not buy by subscription either ~ purely a rip off.

As a suggestion, you may be able to get a copy of Office 2011 much cheaper. I for one am sticking with Office 20011, which is compatible with El Capitan, and Outlook works well after updating to latest version 14.5.7. Was a Beta trialist for Office 2016 and if the finished product has as many bugs as the Beta, give it a miss.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.