Windows on macbook air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Hi all,

I've asked before but here I go again.

I've got a programme that needs windows to run. I've got 864 GB of a 1TB SSD left and wondered what's the best way to get Windows and get it working on a partition. Also, I've been looking and it seems as though it's not as easy to buy a disc with windows on it as it used to be. Can I get a light copy so that I can just run this programme, or do I have to go the whole hog?

Here's where I really don't know what I'm talking about, but what's a virtual machine and would that be better?

I've got Bootcamp on the macbook air (it's a mid 2013 with 4GB of memory).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi all,

I've asked before but here I go again.

I've got a programme that needs windows to run. I've got 864 GB of a 1TB SSD left and wondered what's the best way to get Windows and get it working on a partition. Also, I've been looking and it seems as though it's not as easy to buy a disc with windows on it as it used to be. Can I get a light copy so that I can just run this programme, or do I have to go the whole hog?

Here's where I really don't know what I'm talking about, but what's a virtual machine and would that be better?

I've got Bootcamp on the macbook air (it's a mid 2013 with 4GB of memory).

Depending on the app, a virtual machine may be good enough for you. But there is a way to run some Windows apps using something called Wineskin and avoid installing Windows entirely. If you are able to share the name of the program, I can do some checking to see if it will run. Many won't, some run but not very well, and others will perfectly.

The virtual machine option may be a good route, but with 4GB of memory, I wouldn't recommend it for anything but the simplest of programs. Basically it runs Windows "in a window".

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with "Life". The amount of memory on that machine can not be upgraded and 4 GB is really stretching it for running a Windows program in a VM.

Anyway, let us know which Windows program you need to run. By the way, Windows 10 can be used for free but it will be limited.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
Another vote for Wineskin here. I run several Windows progs under a variant called Wineskin Winery. You set up a separate 'skin' for each Win program you want to use. It's a bit faffy to set them up, but once you get the knack it becomes second nature. As Lifeisabeach says though, it's very hit-and-miss!

More info: Download Wineskin Winery for Mac | MacUpdate

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Thanks for the replies.
I'm attaching a screen shot of the info panel. The app won't run of course on my mac but hopefully you'll see what I'm getting at. It's all to do with loading sound files on model railway locomotives. Wineskin sounds good, but I'll need to be walked through it if that's not too much of a pain for anyone.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doh, I forgot the attachment.

Attachments

• Zimo ZSP.png
    Zimo ZSP.png
    85.3 KB · Views: 33

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey Pete:

Didn't know you were a model railroader. :) I don't believe that file can be opened using Wineskin or for that matter any Wine derivative, but, I may be wrong. Probably best to maybe use a VM and open it that way. Either that, or find a friend who has a Windows machine and have him extract the sound files for you.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks,
I did wonder about the VM in the first place but as I know so little about these things I'll rely on advice from here. Any tips about how to go about getting/using a VM?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a free VM you can try. It may be a little harder to set up than the pay versions but it works well. You still need a copy of Windows. Do you have a copy of Windows you can use?

The free VM software is called VirtualBox:

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have windows yet. I'm just wanting to find out if it's beyond my very limited capabilities to do. As Life is a beach said, I only have 4gb of memory.
chscag, I wonder how limited the free windows would be. Is there anywhere I can get details of what I can do with it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Windows is not actually free but Windows 10 can be used without activating it, however, it will be limited. But that won't matter since you would not be using it on a regular basis.

What really would be best is to find someone perhaps friend or a family member that has Windows and would run that executable for you. If all you need is the sound files there is no need to install Windows and continue to use it.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem I have is that I want to use this on my laptop for the convenience with loading the sound files on my own gear. The only person I know of that uses windows is a friend of mine that has only a desktop computer. I have neither the inclination or know how to create sound files, but I use a bit of kit made by Zimo, and Austrian firm called a MZULFA. This can be used to load a sound file (created by someone else) on to a decoder that goes inside a locomotive, but this is painfully slow. I've got another thing on it's way to me which is also by Zimo, called MXTAPS, which will load the files in seconds. The problem comes up because I can only do this with windows (don't know why companies can't/won't produce software for macs).

I'm interested in finding out more about chscag's suggestion about using windows without activating it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here you go:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It looks like the Wineskin route is a no-go. The installer freezes on me on two different Macs. I would definitely suggest using Boot Camp. A virtual machine is convenient, but I think your performance would just not be good with the RAM you have. It shouldn't be HORRIBLE since you do at least have an SSD which means the cache will be faster than if it was an SSD. Well heck, it's worth a try... you have nothing to lose. VirtualBox is free and open source, and good enough. Personally I don't like it. I do like VMware Fusion, which is free for personal use if you are on Catalina or higher.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again. It's getting a bit late now so I'll have a proper look tomorrow. Am I right in thinking that I download win10 from howtogeek.com and then vmware from customerconnect.vmware.com?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again,
I've been re-reading the thread and in light of the fact that the macbook may not do too well with a VM and the other fact that I'd be in need of a hand holding exercise to do this, I've found an Acer travel mate with a full edition of win 10 on ebay for A$140.00. This will save all of you a lot of trouble trying to help me.
This seller has a 100% rating over a fair length of time so I'm pretty confident that it'll be OK.
This will do for what I want it for.
Thanks again for all the help and sorry to have wasted your time.
Back to my hobby of railwaying... that's a new word. :)

Attachments

• Acer.png
    Acer.png
    230.6 KB · Views: 12

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds good Pete. Keep in touch with us and let us know how you're getting along with your new Windows notebook.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I sure will. I really do think this is best all round. I know I'd give you guys headaches. I never thought I'd ever have anything to do with windows again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a problem Pete. Your questions are always welcome here. Have fun with your new Windows machine and Model Railroading hobby. :)

Reaction score
Windows isn't in reality free yet Windows 10 can be utilized without enacting it, be that as it may, it will be restricted. However, that will not make any difference since you would not be utilizing it consistently.

What truly would be best is to find somebody maybe companion or a relative that has Windows and would run that executable for you. Assuming that all you want is the sound documents there is no compelling reason to introduce Windows and keep on utilizing it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.