What Digital Camera do you have . . . Share your baby with me please !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
One thing I forgot. I am sure many know the rule for shutter speed to avoid image blur on a lens with no or poor image stabilizer. Basically just keep your shutter speed faster then your focal length. 70mm on my Canon 70D would be 112mm, so keep the shutter speed at 1/125th or faster.. Easy enough.

Well there is another rule called the 500 rule for night photographers wanting to avoid trails or oval stars in their still shots. Which is 500 / Actual Focal Length = Shutter speed in Seconds.
So a 50mm lens on a 1.6x cropped sensor camera will give you 80mm. So you say 500 / 80 = 6.25sec for your maximum shutter speed before motion blur. So if I use my UWA 10-22mm Canon lens. I would say 500 / 16 = 31.25 seconds. So I can keep the shutter open for 30 seconds before I get star trails. Now I personally still dont find this very accurate, perhaps living towards the equator throws this off.. I am not sure yet. But 20seconds for me does give sharp images.

EDIT:
Looking this up, seems that the higher MP cameras tend to have more trails. Just the pixels are picking this up because they are smaller.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Congratulations! :D

I must have missed that big news. Too far to travel, unfortunately, so I expect pics from the wedding. ;)

Its sort of even creeped up on me, but couldn't be happier mate ;D

Glad to see another camera guy here.

Yes welcome Dr, how rude of me not welcoming you. Come for a while, stay for ever . . . .

Yea you can't replace a good UWA. Pano's do offer a way of getting a very large image. When people think pano, they assume a group of images going from left to right or vice versa. But in actuality you can have rows and tiers of images, for example 5 images wide and 3 images deep. Which would be 15 total images. Stitch them up and you have a super high resolution image that looks tack sharp even at 4 x 8 ft..

Yea true, but I won't be getting into that sort of Photography for quite a while.

Which reminds me, unless its cold. You will want to bring something to warm your lens up. When its warm outside, the lens tend to cool down at night get fog on them.. Seems to always happen at 2am at least for me. Two things can help, 1 a hair dryer. But not useful in the field. 2 is the hand warmer gell packs. These are the ones you break up and the gel gets hot keeping your hands warm. You can set one of these on your lens after your setup and will help keep the condensation down.

Thanks for that good info mate. Ill take that on board.

Very essential for time-lapse. But I will not use this thing walking around. I have one and using it right now outside on my wives T3i taking time-lapse of a rose opening up. But dear god the added weight kills my neck.. I rather just carry an extra batter in my pocket.. LOL Which reminds me, I am picking up a shoulder strap very very soon.

Talking of straps, I have this Air Strap from Custom SLR in the mail and only days away from receiving. Im getting the whole kit though, with Laptop Strap Attachment + Black C-Loop + M-Plate Pro + ProDots as well as the Hand Strap . . . Cant wait !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Talking of straps, I have this Air Strap from Custom SLR in the mail and only days away from receiving. Im getting the whole kit though, with Laptop Strap Attachment + Black C-Loop + M-Plate Pro + ProDots as well as the Hand Strap . . . Cant wait !!!

I remember you getting in on that kickstarter deal. Looking forward to you telling us about it when it arrives and you have used it.

I am looking for something simple that doesn't make me feel like I am throwing on climbing gear or attached to the camera. Prob find something reasonable when I fly to Taipei Taiwan end of this month. Going to visit an old friend and take lots of photos. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No one tell my wife, but I ordered the Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC AF USD XLD lens.. Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Lens

Really this should complete my lens needs. I should not need nor want another lens unless I am upgrading an older lens at this point.

My lens:
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Ultra Wide Angle (Landscape, Nightsky)
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.0 DC OS HSM Macro Contemporary Standard Zoom Lens (Street Photo, Gun and Run)
Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC AF USD XLD Telephoto Lens (Wildlife)
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Prime Lens (Portraits)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I have this lens - bought it in readiness for a visit to the Belgian GP this year - but unfortuanately haven't used it much yet.

There is however an active group on Flickr and some of the images look stunning:

Flickr: The Tamron SP70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD Pool

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have this lens - bought it in readiness for a visit to the Belgian GP this year - but unfortuanately haven't used it much yet.

There is however an active group on Flickr and some of the images look stunning:

Flickr: The Tamron SP70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD Pool

You will REALLY need to show some images here. Im a huge F1 fan, and now Mark Weber isn't with Red Bull, I'm not sure where to go, as i don't like Seb 1 iota !!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Daniel Ricciardo?

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Daniel Ricciardo?

Yea being another Aussie I guess that he will be it. He has done well over the years and even in Trials, he was faster than Seb on their home track.
Exciting things to come me thinks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wanted to share a few more pics of Hong Kong that I did in B/W.

JoeJackson - 20131030 - 42.jpg

JoeJackson - 20131030 - 91.jpg

JoeJackson - 20131030 - 106.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
classy shots Joe - particularly like the first one

took the Tamron 70-300 out for the first time today and have posted some pics below. please don't comment on my wildlife photography - I normally shoot things that don't move and need to practice a bit more on things that do!!

White Wagtail - 300mm at f6.3 and not in focus
My car - 70mm at f4 and 300mm at f5.6 for comparison - these look pretty sharp

untitled-2079.jpg

untitled-2081.jpg

untitled-2113.jpg

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes i agree, very nice shots Joe and i as well like the first one. Did you shoot in B&W or Post Process them ??
Nick that 300mm takes a sharp image indeed. Don't be so harsh on your self with the Birdy Shot, all in all, its still a nice shot.

Here is on i took with the Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO DG Macro and was at 220mm Macro Mode f5 1/60th external SB-700 Flash bounced off the ceiling.

THvEYCO.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@ Nicky, Wow that lens is nice and sharp. It will be a good 5 months before I see the one I ordered unfortunately. Having Mom put it in a balickbayan box to send. Till then I am stuck with my older 75-300, but I can live with it till the other arrives. LOL Heck I am still waiting for the delivery company to deliver my BB Box that has my 70D in it. Getting very frustrated with them as in a week I am flying to Taipei and need my camera for that trip.. /sigh /sadface

@ Brent, pretty nice shot. :)

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Heck I am still waiting for the delivery company to deliver my BB Box that has my 70D in it. Getting very frustrated with them as in a week I am flying to Taipei and need my camera for that trip.. /sigh /sadface

Couldn't you ask them to expedite it ?? Instead of delivering, could you not pick it up from the depot ??
Good luck any way :)

@ Brent, pretty nice shot. :)

Thanks, I'm experimenting at the moment . . . .

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Couldn't you ask them to expedite it ?? Instead of delivering, could you not pick it up from the depot ??
Good luck any way

Hey Brent, if it's anything like I remember when I was in the Philippines, he'll be lucky if it doesn't get stolen by a local postal worker before it gets to him. Back in my military days we used an APO or FPO (Army-Air Force Post Office, Fleet Post Office) mail service. That way the mail including packages always stayed in US hands.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Brent, if it's anything like I remember when I was in the Philippines, he'll be lucky if it doesn't get stolen by a local postal worker before it gets to him. Back in my military days we used an APO or FPO (Army-Air Force Post Office, Fleet Post Office) mail service. That way the mail including packages always stayed in US hands.

My bad Charlie. Here i was miles away thinking Joe was in a Developed Country. I can understand his situation now a bit better seeing where he is living. I just had to look up and see what a balickbayan box is, and now i have more sympathy for him.

Good luck Joe and hope it all gets to you soon :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

LOL quoted for truth!!!

My camera did arrive today. I had it sent sea cargo in what they call a Balik Bayan Box.. Spelling may be off.. Its sea cargo shipment anyway.. But it did arrive and I been playing around with it today and am very pleased with my purchase.

Speaking more about their postal workers/theifs.. The small local office here is ran by two fairly trust worth persons. Both know me very good by now. I had them deliver a special warning to the post master in town. Be warned, I could send a GPS with my stuff. If something gets stolen, I will have everyone including the postmaster behind bars. Well thats the nicer/ softer version of my message to them.. LOL..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck any way :)

This is how you expedite something in the Philippines..

You call them and tell them you want it ASAP, or someone owes you the full cost of the box. If they dont or can't pay, your sending a "collector" to handle this situation.

Box arrives soon as they get it.. LOL..

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The small local office here is ran by two fairly trust worth persons. Both know me very good by now. I had them deliver a special warning to the post master in town. Be warned, I could send a GPS with my stuff. If something gets stolen, I will have everyone including the postmaster behind bars. Well thats the nicer/ softer version of my message to them.. LOL..

This made me laugh :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac, iPhone 5, iPod Touch, iPad 2, iPad 3, 13" Macbook Pro (wife's)
Most people are content with DX, but there are some faults that people do not realize. A smaller sensor means less light, less light means more susceptibility to noise in dark environments, and on top of that it cannot get as shallow of a depth of field(less cream in shots). An aperture of 1.8 on DX is the same as 2.8 on FX. Do some research about sensor size, it's fascinating what the differences are.

Glad to see another camera guy here.

Would like to clarify on the DoF. This is were many get confused or just dont fully know how to properly explain the difference from the DoF from Full Frame to APS-C.

Ok I will start with saying the DoF does not change from changing camera what so ever. If the camera is 10ft from the subject with f/1.8 aperture at 85mm, you will always get the same amount of blur no matter what.

That said, when you go from Full Frame to Crop with that 85mm. You find you will want to back further away to say 14 or 15ft from the subject to get the images cropped the same since the smaller sensor takes a smaller portion of the image coming in from the lens. So the effect of backing away from the target is what is changing the amount of blur, not the camera or the lens but just the distance of the camera from the subject.

DoF does change if you change the camera (so long as the sensor size is different). DoF is greater the bigger the sensor. Ever notice that point and shoot camera's give very little depth of field even with an f/2.8 aperture. There is even less DoF on a phones camera. The iPhone has an f/2.8 aperture. How often do you see pictures taken with a phone that have a lot of DoF... Never.

Dr Photo is correct. DoF does change when the camera's sensor is different.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.