What a let down!

Reaction score
what is an IStore? Whomever you purchased the two mac's from wasn't apple, and if you did a little research you'd know that there shouldn't be any ID's on a new machine. As a matter of fact, it should've been apparent that an ID other than yours as soon as you turned it on. Purchasing from apple direct probably the good move in the future. Did you try googling the issue before you you came on to the mac-forums? Dropping $4k might be worth a little research first.

Reaction score
Yeah, I was wondering what an iStore was, too. And why the employees "loaded Yosemite" on the "brand new MBA's." I'm wondering if iStore is a third party place, where the employees open the boxes and upgrade to Yosemite using THEIR Apple IDs. If that's the case and if they didn't reset to factory new, then you'd see that error message because the OS is tied to the store's Apple ID.

Who knows if the machines are even new? He may of purchased a couple trade it's for top retail price. 'I'm so disappointed with IStore!'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I did some checking yesterday on various "Apple Stores", and it seem that the stores such as iStore and 1 store and even others like Stormfront (UK) are quite normal in countries other than N.A., and are usually large chains that act as an Apple Premium Reseller (APR - as opposed to an Apple Authorized Reseller).

Most have authorization to act as an Apple Service Provider(ASP) and they MUST follow Apple's very strict guidelines as to how their stores look and are even restricted by Apple as to what they can sell.

One report showed that such stores had to spend $50,000.00 - $100,000.00 and more to confirm just get to the required look that often required a lot of glass, oak floors and the special wood and glass tables and displays and lighting. Sometimes Apple reimbursed some of their expenses.

So basically they are "Apple Stores" but with different owners and very restricted by Apple.

I was quite surprised to discover that by 2014, Apple had well over 900 such "Apple Stores" world wide when such Apple Premium Reseller Stores were included.

And as for the OP, the iStore they attended is such a popular Apple Store in South Africa.

Reaction score
Northern Minnesota now. Chicago previously
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2010) 2x2.4 GHz Quad-Core Xeon, 12GB, ATI Radeon HD 5870, Wacom Cintiq 24HD touchscreen
iStore, 1Store, let's open an lStore just for fun and confusion!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Go ahead, but I sure could not afford to do so and neither can my son who already owns and runs an Apple Authorized Reseller Stores in Whitehorse and the Yukon. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

I think that in the countries that have these stores…there's not that much confusion.:) I think that it may only seem confusing when we look at things globally.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
The "i" moniker is so ubiquitous, I even enter in my checkbook, for payments made online, "iPay". :apple:

Reaction score
Back to the OP - what's this bit about completely reloading everything from Windows plus reloading Yosemite.

Windows?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Planning to get a MBA entry level to get far away from Windows
Yes, in South Africa the iStores are Apple resellers, Apple Stores don't exist here. But they look and feel exactly as I imagine an Apple Store would. The staff are enthusiastic, dedicated and Apple to the last letter of the law.
But that doesn't solve our problem - thanks for the suggestions - will pass them on. We still cannot use our MBAs as the "Update unavailable with this Apple ID...." problem still persists. They have already reloaded everything - same problem. Also suggest we start again with Maverick instead of Yosemite - we have said no - we want to start with Yosemite.
Will keep you all posted - and thanks again
John

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Here in York (and at other locations) we have Apple reseller Stormfront.

I did some checking yesterday on various "Apple Stores", and it seem that the stores such as iStore and 1 store and even others like Stormfront (UK) are quite normal in countries other than N.A., and are usually large chains that act as an Apple Premium Reseller (APR - as opposed to an Apple Authorized Reseller).

I had to do a double take here - StormFront has very different connotation depending on what you're talking about.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From the "OP"

Forgot to add - the machines here are in their original boxes/wrapping, 1 year warranty plus extended warranty optional.
"Back to the OP - what's this bit about completely reloading everything from Windows plus reloading Yosemite." I meant that they (iStore) took our Windows 7 laptops and converted all our data across to the macs once they had installed Yosemite.
Sorry, not that familiar with the apple terminology yet! :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, in South Africa the iStores are Apple resellers, Apple Stores don't exist here. But they look and feel exactly as I imagine an Apple Store would. The staff are enthusiastic, dedicated and Apple to the last letter of the law.
But that doesn't solve our problem - thanks for the suggestions - will pass them on. We still cannot use our MBAs as the "Update unavailable with this Apple ID...." problem still persists. They have already reloaded everything - same problem. Also suggest we start again with Maverick instead of Yosemite - we have said no - we want to start with Yosemite.
Will keep you all posted - and thanks again
John

Maybe I'm really missing something here, but surly to betsy they or you could just setup the proper Apple ID and account to use. Not exactly any computer rocket science needed.

But I guess I'm missing some details as to why that seems to be so impossible… ;) :D

M

MacInWin

Yeah, I'm confused by that, too, pm-r. A brand new MBA has NO Apple ID associated with it. When it's booted the first time, the new owner gets to establish a login account on the MBA, and then later on create or register an Apple ID with that machine. Having done that, then that Apple ID works with the store.

Of course, the message "Update unavailable..." could mean there are no updates for that machine, not that the Apple ID is wrong. But I'm still betting that the employees in the store did not set the machine back to factory state before they did the migration so that now the machine is registered with THEIR Apple ID at the App store. It's going to take a call to Apple to sort that one out, I think. Or take it back to the store, have them redo what they did and this time, reset to factory, let the new owner create the login account and apply the Apple ID and THEN do the migration from Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well that at least make two of us Jake, both confused. ;)

And I don't even know or understand what gives with the "no updates" either. I'm staying with Mavericks for a while and the only update showing is for iTunes 12 which is NOT getting installed on my Mac thank you Apple, and finally not even a nag about installing Yosemite, but I may have done a just a wee bit of fiddling to get rid of it. And yes my Apple ID is all correct and up to date. ;)

I guess it will all get resolved one day for the OP. I hope.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All's well that end's well! Our MBAs are now working as promised - and they are lovely machines. Thank you all for the help and advice. No doubt I'll be back again with more requests in the long run

Regards
John gardner

M

MacInWin

Can you tell us what fixed it, so that the next person with the same problem gets helped?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
My partner and I walked out of the iStore with our two brand new MBAs last week including Yosemite. Worked on them for a few great days, then tried to update software. Both the same message "Update unavailable with this Apple ID....". iStore says a "transmission problem" when they loaded Yosemite - (really??) -only solved by completely reloading everything from Windows plus reloading Yosemite. What a disappointment, what a let down!

Yea as you realized by now, they likely had the Mac Books with Mavericks on them and just used a Apple ID they use at the store to upgrade the units to Yosemite.. Its no big issue, just create a new Apple ID if you don't already have one and replace the one currently being used.

That said if you have any stability issues, just redownload Yosemite and install it onto a external drive and do a clean install from it..

Cheers,
Joe

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wil ask at the shop what fixed it - some "patch" apparently Apple USA gave him.
And no - these two machine were still all wrapped and sealed fro Apple - brand new I think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I wil ask at the shop what fixed it - some "patch" apparently Apple USA gave him.
And no - these two machine were still all wrapped and sealed fro Apple - brand new I think.

Not if they already had an Apple ID entered in the system. If they were brand untouched you would have been prompted with a welcome/setup screen soon as you booted them up for the first time. It would have asked for your username to create a new account and also at that point to create or use an existing Apple ID for cloud and what not. So if they went straight to the desktop when you got them, its likely they upgraded them from the store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.