• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

We own PCs too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Opening this thread wasn't under the intention of getting more arguments on why Macs are PCs etc., but more to let people know that everyone knows the definition and that it's just how it is. PC = PC. Mac = Mac. No need to be so technical unless you're going to provide a tried and tested and well-known term to use for "PCs".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
^Well I won't start a flame war but as we have already pointed out in multiple places what you say above is only about 1/2 right. The truth is ANY computer meant for use by a single person at once is a PC:)

Reaction score
Good one Vansmith...I was thinking the same thing when I saw this thread this morning...but I resisted as to not "fan the fire"!:)

- Nick

Fan The Fire...Fan The Fire! Or its just a box of parts.:|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I think arguing over semantics is just plain silly. When you say PC, everybody knows you mean a computer that runs Windows on non Apple hardware. People who pipe in and say "but PC means personal computer and a Mac is a personal computer so blah blah blah" are just being annoying. It's a colloquialism, we refer to Windows computers as PCs because that's what we've always done. Let's not get all bent out of shape because it's not politically correct.

I have a PC that I use primarily for entertainment purposes: games and media. I have it connected to my TV and Windows 7 Media Center is just fantastic. Looks great on the TV and is very functional and versatile. I like it much better than Front Row, which I find to be far more limiting than Media Center.

Reaction score
I think arguing over semantics is just plain silly. When you say PC, everybody knows you mean a computer that runs Windows on non Apple hardware. People who pipe in and say "but PC means personal computer and a Mac is a personal computer so blah blah blah" are just being annoying. It's a colloquialism, we refer to Windows computers as PCs because that's what we've always done. Let's not get all bent out of shape because it's not politically correct.

I have a PC that I use primarily for entertainment purposes: games and media. I have it connected to my TV and Windows 7 Media Center is just fantastic. Looks great on the TV and is very functional and versatile. I like it much better than Front Row, which I find to be far more limiting than Media Center.

I've been counting the days to no avail about Apple putting a TV tuner card in some of its product line, and dropping the Apple TV or integrating it into working with a Mac with Front Row (provided that Front Row gets a TV tuner). Apple would definitely be taking a stab at Windows Media Center and WinTV here. However, I've found hardware from the makers of WinTV for Mac that allows you to watch TV, albeit on their own software. I like Front Row. It's black, and mysterious, plus it emits lower light levels in a dimly-lit/dark room than WMC does (blue gives me a headache!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1.42 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, OS X 10.4
Still running a PPC Mac here... so not really a "PC" in the most used sense, but technically a "personal computer" by my definition.

But I do own 2 PC's which I use almost daily, and about 20 old ones collecting dust in my closet. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5", iPhone 4
As mentioned in another post, I'm ordering my first ever mac this week. I don't really have a clue about Mac OS apart from a few tutorials that I've read on the net.

My PC died the other week and it was the last straw. Also a good excuse to splash out on something new. I could have probably fixed the PC if I wanted to and wiped and done a fresh install etc, but enough is enough.

I'm choosing to "believe" the Apple marketing and trusting that Macs do "just work". I've literally put the PC in the bin (destroyed the hard drives first obviously).

I have a Thinkpad that belongs to work, so in emergencies I have it to hand. I was thinking of installing windows on the iMac when I get it, but I've since changed my mind and intend to embrace the Mac fully.

I thought about it, what do I want a home computer for? Photo's, occasional bit of video editing, iTunes, surfing the net... that's about it. Thought I may aswell get a mac and be done with it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Still running a PPC Mac here... so not really a "PC" in the most used sense, but technically a "personal computer" by my definition.

But I do own 2 PC's which I use almost daily, and about 20 old ones collecting dust in my closet. ;)
Aside from processor type being irrelevant, you might want to look up what PPC stands for. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1.42 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, OS X 10.4
Aside from processor type being irrelevant, you might want to look up what PPC stands for. ;)

Of course, but PPC was pretty much exclusive to Macs, at least in the consumer market.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Doesn't matter. As the Wikipedia article says, "Originally intended for personal computers, PowerPC CPUs have since become popular embedded and high-performance processors" (emphasis added).

On top of this, the article adds that "When the first PowerPC products reached the market, they were met with enthusiasm. In addition to Apple, both IBM and the Motorola Computer Group offered systems built around the processors. Microsoft released Windows NT 3.51 for the architecture, which was used in Motorola's PowerPC servers, and Sun Microsystems offered a version of its Solaris OS" (emphasis added). If we conflate Windows with idea of "PC", then a PowerPC machine can be a PC as well.

As a side note, my previous wording was awkward. Instead of "what PPC stands for", I should have said something along the lines of "how PPCs were used".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
^Did you check the citations on that:)

I'm not saying it's wrong but Wikipedia isn't always right either:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Wikipedia is right more often than not.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^Did you check the citations on that:)

I'm not saying it's wrong but Wikipedia isn't always right either:)
There aren't any sources for the info so until someone proves me wrong...

Plus, as Kash said, despite being editable by anyone, it's pretty accurate and reliable. Not "use in school assignment" reliable but "forum discussion" reliable at the least.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Opening this thread wasn't under the intention of getting more arguments on why Macs are PCs etc., but more to let people know that everyone knows the definition and that it's just how it is. PC = PC. Mac = Mac. No need to be so technical unless you're going to provide a tried and tested and well-known term to use for "PCs".

Since these two threads are basically discussing the same thing, I see no reason to have them both open - threads merged.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.