• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

We own PCs too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
A "PC" can be a computer that runs windows, so it is correct, but a PC can also be a computer that runs Mac OS X, Linux, DOS, OS/2, or a number of other operating systems.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
A "PC" can be a computer that runs windows, so it is correct, but a PC can also be a computer that runs Mac OS X, Linux, DOS, OS/2, or a number of other operating systems.

I agree, the term "PC" can refer to any sort of personal computer. That's why I'm asking...suggest a term that is more acceptable then "PC" to refer to computers that run Windows as their primary OS.

My suggestion is to call them "Windows Computers" as a group. It may not be a perfect term...that's why I'm asking if someone can think of a better one.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm sticking with brand name as non-Macs as a group (or what you refer to as Windows computers) can also have Linux installed on them (and some can have it pre-installed or not even have Windows or Linux at all). In some cases, machines from manufacturers may never see Windows. Calling them Windows computers is generalizing too much and assuming that all non-Macs will have Windows on them at some point. This is why calling an HP desktop a Windows machine is inappropriate if it never had Windows on it. Instead, you should just call in an HP <insert model name>.

I would never call my Linux server a Windows machine because it isn't. It is a generic machine so I call it my Linux box. I'm don't understand why we have to group all non-Macs as a group that is somehow special from Macs. There is more to a computer than the OS that is pre-installed.

Reaction score
I wish the article had looked at whether mac users had a tendency to have partners who were Windows users--they looked at households, not individual users. My fiance is a Windows fanboy. RELIGIOUS Windows fanboy who believes Vista was a gift from God, it seems. I like my Mac. Opposites attract, so I'd be curious to see if the reason for higher levels of gadgets in the household was that one partner was Windows and one was Mac and thus they had two sets of gadgets to go with two different systems.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I wish the article had looked at whether mac users had a tendency to have partners who were Windows users--they looked at households, not individual users. My fiance is a Windows fanboy. RELIGIOUS Windows fanboy who believes Vista was a gift from God, it seems. I like my Mac. Opposites attract, so I'd be curious to see if the reason for higher levels of gadgets in the household was that one partner was Windows and one was Mac and thus they had two sets of gadgets to go with two different systems.

Vista was not running very well on my gaming rig. I got rid of as soon as Windows 7 became available. Only reason why I keep a Windows Machine around is for gaming. If I didn't I wouldn't need the Windows OS for anything.

Anyways my gaming machine runs so smoothly now, and doesn't lock up anymore.

Reaction score
My fiance won't switch to 7 because he claims Vista is the best operating system ever made and no one could ever improve on it. Ever. No matter what. End of story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac pro 2.66 dual core 5 gigs of ram with duel 22" monitors
uugh why are there some many so called "PC"?.. maybe osx should just open up and be on all of them as well...... no wait thats a bad idea..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Stop with PC technicalities!

I've noticed a lot of threads being turned into the whole "Macs are PCs too" argument. Technically, yes, Macs and non-Macs are "PCs", but everyone knows (even the people starting the politically correct arguments) that people refer to non-Mac computers as PCs. I don't see why it needs to keep being brought up. Everyone knows what PC stands for and that non-Mac computers have been called this and what the technically correct term PC means. No need to keep bringing it up. If anything, those who would like to stop calling "PCs" a PC, say non-Mac. It's short and to the point as opposed to "Windows Native Running Operating System Machine"...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
That is soo true ImageX ..... There still has to be away of differentiating between the two. If i went up to a person and started talking about my PC that runs SL they would be looking at me as if im a screwball, because everyone knows you cant ... In the real world that is.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Even the Apple commercials concede the point, but I'm one who doesn't like it. I usually go with a shorter term than mentioned: Windows machine.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
IMHO, the people who bring up the "Macs are PCs" argument are in response to people who are already engaging in some bashing of some sort. They are all PCs and everyone knows that..but using the "Mac are PCs" line is just a dig..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
^Apple would likely make better money that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
You've probably seen this. It says 85% of all Mac owners also own a PC and it gives some pretty good reasons for this.

Of course, Windows fans like to poke fun at us for this fact.

I've come up with one additional reason that really is true: when I'm working on my PC I need something to keep me busy while I'm waiting for the PC to finish.

85% of Mac owners have Windows too - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Brainstorm Tech

I'm the opposite. I have this awesome gaming rig to keep me entertained while the MBP processes image files. :p

Reaction score
^Apple would likely make better money that way.

Yeah...and what about all the people who buy cheap rigs instead of the pricy iMacs and MBP's, not to mention MacPro's.

They (Apple) would stand to lose more than make....

How many people run illegal Windows OS'ses on their machines, do you think they would all instantly buy MacOSX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
I have a Mac and a PC. I tell you that Sony Viao is the best deng footrest I've had since I've owned my mac....

Reaction score
For me, I own an HP desktop. It is over 2 yrs. old, and still runs great. The MacBook is my first laptop, and I purchased it after MUCH research, dozens of trips to the Apple store and PC stores.....I use the MacBook 90% of the time now, but I'm nut trashing the HP yet. Still a very good machine, and I even like Vista a lot. Not one issue with it ever. The MacBook does, however, do EVERYTHING faster. When the PC dies, it's Mac all the way.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You do realize that you just opened another thread that will inevitably end up with a discussion of the semantic differences right?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You do realize that you just opened another thread that will inevitably end up with a discussion of the semantic differences right?

Good one Vansmith...I was thinking the same thing when I saw this thread this morning...but I resisted as to not "fan the fire"!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
What model? Some of the Dells like the Optiplex are really considered Workstations! :D

My school uses a combo of Dell Optiplex "N" series models that have malfunctioning RAM modules (supposedly they're supposed to run up to I think around 1GB, though when I go to Computer properties, some say 256 MB RAM, other's say 512, some say 1024MB/1GB RAM) and HP Compaq machines of various series numbers, some the size of a shoe box, others the size of a box fan. And there's the boat anchor monitors that don't work right. What can I say, the school is only 13 years old and the school district is now poorer than ever before. Other schools in my district that I've enrolled in in the past have used custom computers that have failed, and Gateways that have failed. When I was in kindergarten the district used Mac's! When I was in 6th grade, the engineering dept. at my school had Mac's! :Grimmace:

As for me, I grew up in a household that abided by Windows machines. I cannot begun to tell you (much less type it here) how many new cuss-words my dad has come up with everytime there's a problem. He's built custom computers for years since Windows 95, and we've had numerous HP computers. Now we've got a 3 year old custom Windows Media Center XP machine collecting dust on my desk, two HP Pavilion Elites (one running XP, about 5 years old, the other running 64-Bit Vista, about a year old), a custom Windows computer collecting dust (and probably has a ton of updates) running XP in my Dad's office, a custom blue-acrylic XP machine that has just been cleaned out, four laptops: Compaq running 98, HP Pavilion running XP (wiped three times), Toshiba running 7 Home Prem. (wiped twice) and a Dell Studio 15 running Vista, soon to be upgraded to 7; and three netbooks: two Acer Aspire One's running XP and a Lenovo IdeaPad running XP, which may or may not get the 7 treatment. Plus my Dad has empty computer boxes, dead motherboards, hard drives and the like lying around in his office. And when I asked for the Power Mac that I'm currently typing on, there's been no problems- he hasn't said a word about it, and I obviously have no [major] complaints. And now I'm getting my second Mac (after only 6 months of getting the Power Mac G4) this Christmas, which I have no idea what it is (that's the general idea here isn't it? :p).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.