WANTED: Secure password manager for OSX 10.9.5 please

Reaction score
I've been using LastPass to manage my passwords and its convenient for logging me into websites, etc., but I think it would be more secure to have something on my computer instead of in the cloud.

There are few "free" password managers at the App Store but in the right sidebar there is an option to pay for them. Anyone know the difference between the free versions of Dashlane Password Manager, Keeper Password, Enpass, Locko and the paid-for versions of the same apps?

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've been using 1Password since all the way back to the days of Snow Leopard. It's pricey at $49.99 for a license but I can assure you it's worth it.

C

chas_m

I've been testing Locko. It's pretty good, but it's not up to the level of development that 1Password is (which is pretty understandable, as it's fairly new, while 1Password has been developed for years). OTOH, Locko is like $3. When they get round to a synced iOS version I'll be more on board.

Any particular reason why iCloud keychain isn't good enough for the job?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I've used both MSecure and 1Password. Both are good.

Reaction score
Another vote for 1Password. Even has a version for IOS and Android.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
OP
M
Reaction score
The reason I'm considering dropping LastPass and using something local on my computer is because LastPass is in the cloud and I'm thinking that having all my passwords in the cloud is not very secure. Aren't 1Password and iCloud Keychain in the cloud too?

M

MacInWin

If you want to automatically sync your mac and phone then it does store encrypted passwords in either Dropbox or iCloud. They ARE in the cloud, but they are encrypted with pretty good encryption there. If it makes you nervous and/or you don't want to sync, then the file stays on the mac only, still encrypted.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The encryption/decryption keys for both LastPass and 1Password are stored locally - not in the cloud.

The main difference to me between LastPass and 1Password...

LastPass - the passwords are stored on servers maintained by LastPass.

1Password - they have no access to your passwords as your passwords never touch "their" servers but rather use Dropbox or iCloud for syncing between devices.
You also have the option of keeping everything local and syncing to your other devices via wifi.

Last edited:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
1Password doesn't have to be - it can be entirely local.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I use the humble native Keychain Access app in utilities. This works fine for Safari alternatively browsers like Chrome can save website passwords. Secure passwords like bank sites I save as word docs in an encrypted dmg file which requires a password (not saved in Keychain). All of which is backed up on a USB HD with Carbon Copy Cloner. Everything is local, no cloud storage required.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 iMac 21.5; 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Mojave.
The reason I'm considering dropping LastPass and using something local on my computer is because LastPass is in the cloud and I'm thinking that having all my passwords in the cloud is not very secure. Aren't 1Password and iCloud Keychain in the cloud too?

I like LastPass (although it's the only manager I've tried.). Am I being naive in believing that my stuff is safe in the cloud (or wherever) because it's encrypted using my master password phrase? In the unlikely event that my computer is stolen, I can get to the internet with any other computer and change my master password and immediately re-encrypt all my LastPass stuff out there.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I've been using LastPass to manage my passwords and its convenient for logging me into websites, etc., but I think it would be more secure to have something on my computer instead of in the cloud.

There are few "free" password managers at the App Store but in the right sidebar there is an option to pay for them. Anyone know the difference between the free versions of Dashlane Password Manager, Keeper Password, Enpass, Locko and the paid-for versions of the same apps?

The good news is there are a lot of good password managers out there, even the native Keychain Access app does quite a good job used locally and can create passwords too. The bad news is nothing is totally safe.
One thing I would stress is share your password information with a trusted source. Too often we see gifted or inherited devices made useless because no one knows the login password.
This can be overcome on a laptop but not an iPad.
I gave my son a copy of all my passwords in a password protected encrypted dmg. file. The password is in my Will.
I would not want all of my Facebook info, contacts list, paid for apps, games, photos, subscriptions etc,etc to be lost in the event of my death or disablement.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oops, I stand corrected, I just watched a uTube clip on restoring iPod, iPad and iPhone to factory settings without the password. As said nothing is totally safe.

C

chas_m

The point of iCloud or Dropbox use is to sync changes you make on one device to all the other devices. Unless you want to do this every single time you make a change for every one of your devices, I would suggest using something like iCloud Keychain. The material stored in the cloud is encrypted, and Apple does not have the keys. This is the same practice that others, like 1Password, engage in. I don't consider Dropbox to be secure in this regard.

So yes, I think you should put aside your fear of the cloud and sync your passwords using a program or service of your choice. If you are using a Mac and iOS devices, and just need passwords stored securely (or a way to generate strong passwords), then iCloud keychain will do that job perfectly well for free. If you need a lot of additional features, take a look at 1Password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
+1 for 1Password. Both on OS X and iOS.

Cheers ... McBie

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
1Password will also sync over WiFi as well - you can avoid any sort of cloud based solution and keep sync local. Head into the preferences on the Mac client > Sync and it should help you through the process.

Reaction score
Have to say I've been more than happy with Lastpass and as I understand it the encryption password is not held on their servers. Why don't you chat with them before changing to another method?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.66 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
I would sincerely appreciate help with passwords. I've been on a Mac since 1998, so I'm hardly a newbie. I have trouble with Apple because the server seems unable to retain my "new" password for any length of time since having my credit card number stolen and used at the Apple store (had to give it to a motel in Florida on holiday) It's been a bear ever since and that was 2 years ago. Any suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.