VMWare Fusion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
I am taking a cyber security course at the website CyberAces. I am thinking about trying to get into that field. I am supposed to download a product called VMWare Fusion. Does anyone know anything about this product? Will it mess up any of my graphic web files?

I have a Windows 8 machine that is not very powerful. Since the VMWare player is free for Windows, perhaps I should download that. However, I am not sure of the system requirements yet.

Thanks for any help you send my way.

Last edited by a moderator:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I hope you don't mind - I went ahead and updated your thread title and post.

VMWare Fusion is the Mac-specific version of VMWare Workstation on Windows. If the course recommends Fusion, they probably do so for particular reasons (Fusion tends to be more stable than Parallels), so I'd recommend sticking with what they specify.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem CWA107. What did you update?

I am totally discouraged. This whole process of running a VMware for PC or VMWare Fusion for the Mac is complicated. My pc is just too slow. This means I have to pay to do the cyberace tutorials because I have to purchase the applications for my Mac. :( Not a good prospect when I am out of work. :( :(

So I guess I have to buy Windows 8.1 for my Mac, right? I didn't think of that. lol I only have 4 gigs of ram on my Mac. I should update to 8 but like I said, I am out of a job. It just gets better and better. lol talk about closing doors. So where do I go to purchase windows 8.1 for the mac? And it is going to be me headlong into confusionville? I have a lot of files on my mac. I use time machine to back it up. But I don't want headaches.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So where do I go to purchase windows 8.1 for the mac?

Nowhere special. Windows 8.1 is Windows 8.1 (there is no special version for the Mac).

You also need to purchase VMWare Fusion.

- Nick

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
No problem CWA107. What did you update?

Oh, just the misspelling on 'Fushion'. It bothered me. :)

I am totally discouraged. This whole process of running a VMware for PC or VMWare Fusion for the Mac is complicated. My pc is just too slow. This means I have to pay to do the cyberace tutorials because I have to purchase the applications for my Mac. :( Not a good prospect when I am out of work. :( :(

Sorry to hear about that.

So I guess I have to buy Windows 8.1 for my Mac, right? I didn't think of that. lol I only have 4 gigs of ram on my Mac.

Yes, you'll need to purchase Windows as it is commercial, paid-for software. Microsoft does have a technical preview available for Windows 10 - it is basically Windows 8 with a number of the UI problems corrected, that might be a way to get it for free, temporarily.

Download Windows Technical Preview ISO - Microsoft Windows

As far as the RAM goes - you can allocate 2GB to the VM and be fine. Windows 7+ runs comfortably in 2GB.

VMWare Fusion and Parallels are both commercial software as well - they run around $50, the last time I checked. There is another virtualization product called VirtualBox that is available for free and basically does the same thing, though it is far less polished.

Oracle VM VirtualBox

I should update to 8 but like I said, I am out of a job. It just gets better and better. lol talk about closing doors. So where do I go to purchase windows 8.1 for the mac? And it is going to be me headlong into confusionville? I have a lot of files on my mac. I use time machine to back it up. But I don't want headaches.

Thanks

You can purchase Windows 8 directly from Microsoft. It's also available via the regular retailers, like Amazon, Staples, Wal-Mart, pretty much anywhere computer products are sold.

Fusion is available directly from VMWare. It is available as a free trial.

As far as complexity goes.... it's not terribly difficult to setup if you are computer literate (and particularly if you've ever installed an operating system). And since you backup with Time Machine, you can very easily back it out if need be.

Good luck!

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, just the misspelling on 'Fushion'. It bothered me. :)

Sorry to hear about that.

Yes, you'll need to purchase Windows as it is commercial, paid-for software. Microsoft does have a technical preview available for Windows 10 - it is basically Windows 8 with a number of the UI problems corrected, that might be a way to get it for free, temporarily.

Download Windows Technical Preview ISO - Microsoft Windows

As far as the RAM goes - you can allocate 2GB to the VM and be fine. Windows 7+ runs comfortably in 2GB.

VMWare Fusion and Parallels are both commercial software as well - they run around $50, the last time I checked. There is another virtualization product called VirtualBox that is available for free and basically does the same thing, though it is far less polished.

Oracle VM VirtualBox

You can purchase Windows 8 directly from Microsoft. It's also available via the regular retailers, like Amazon, Staples, Wal-Mart, pretty much anywhere computer products are sold.

Fusion is available directly from VMWare. It is available as a free trial.

As far as complexity goes.... it's not terribly difficult to setup if you are computer literate (and particularly if you've ever installed an operating system). And since you backup with Time Machine, you can very easily back it out if need be.

Good luck!

Thank you very much!

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EMERGENCY!!!
I hope I didn't screw up. I just purchased Windows 8.1 Pro Full Version from the Microsoft store. They told me I could install it using VM Fushion. It cost me $199!! I didn't buy a copy I didn't need did I? Cause it didn't ask for the second CD ROM.

Now I see what I did wrong. I installed the 32 bit instead of the 64 bit. Which one should I install on my iMac? And can I install the one I already installed and do over?

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you purchased & installed VMWare Fusion yet?

- Nick

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now I see what I did wrong. I installed the 32 bit instead of the 64 bit. Which one should I install on my iMac? And can I install the one I already installed and do over?

pigs I have the trial version of VMWARE Fushion installed. I tried installing it. Nothing really changed.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I now know I have a 64bit iMac. I installed the 32bit. I can't find it. Does that mean it did not install? How do I uninstall the 32 bit so I can install the 64 bit? Can I install it through VMFushion or must I use bootcamp?
Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have to install VWWare Fusion first. Then install Windows into VWWare Fusion.

- Nick

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have to install VWWare Fusion first. Then install Windows into VWWare Fusion.

- Nick

Thanks. Yes I did install VWWare first.
1. Should I disable my LittleSnitch before I do any more installing?
2. I installed 32 bit when I should have installed 64 bit.
3. Did I buy the wrong version at $199 for my Mac? (Windows 8.1 Pro Full Version.) If so, I am going to see if they will give me a refund. :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. Should I disable my LittleSnitch before I do any more installing?

You already installed VMWare Fusion & Windows. What else is left to be installed? And if these installs went fine…then why disable Little Snitch? By the way…Little Snitch is a "Network Monitoring Tool". It shouldn't affect your installs.

2. I installed 32 bit when I should have installed 64 bit.

It should still run ok. And at this point getting it running I would think is the main goal.

3. Did I buy the wrong version at $199 for my Mac? (Windows 8.1 Pro Full Version.) If so, I am going to see if they will give me a refund. :(

The question isn't whether you purchased the wrong version (all versions will work) as long as your Mac is capable of running Windows 8. The question really is…did you buy too much. There are lots of different packages of Windows 8. You need to choose the package that is best for you.

AGAIN. There is no Mac specific Windows 8 version. They will all work with your Mac (assuming your Mac can run Windows 8).

- Nick

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pigs I appreciate all of your help. :)

This time I put the 64 bit disk in. It installed via VMWare Fushion :Smirk: I just hope I don't have a 64 bit AND a 32 bit. I doubt I do since no installation took place on the 32 bit.

However, it did not ask me for any type of partition.

I tried to download Norton 360 on the Windows 8.1 since I have a 3 computer license. I know Norton 360 is not made for the Mac. All Norton did was ask me to close the VMWare so I could install it. However, it's on my Mac desktop and does nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Please stay away from anything labeled " Norton " ......
The windows install will not ask you for a partition as it will install itself inside VmWare.
What you will get is a very large " virtual " file of several Gigabytes that is located in one of your VMWare folders. That is normal .

If you launch your VmWare fusion, you will now be able to run Windows inside that.

Cheers ... McBie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
However, it did not ask me for any type of partition.

Usually when VMWare Fusion is installed…it asks how large of a partition to devote to VMWare Fusion.

- Nick

p.s. BTW…my Mac-Forums ID is not "pigs"!;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.