VMWare Fusion?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's been a while since I had fusion installed but I believe you have to click on File, create new VM, or something like that. Anyway, it will bring up a wizard where you can start to build your VM for Linux. Also, Fusion has some pre-built VMs for some Linux distros.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, High Sierra; iPad 3rd Gen, 32 GB, iOS 9; iPhone 5E, 64 GB, iOS 11
Virtual Box

Hey all, it's me again with another question. You're thrill, I can tell. LOL!
Now that I have Windows 8.1 installed on my iMac using VMWareFusion I want to do another procedure. This time I want to install Linux. However, whenever I go into VMWare it automatically brings up Windows. I need to add the Linux install. It did give me that option a few days ago. I don't know why this is a problem now. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem? See? I told you you would be thrilled. lol :Cool:

Does this mean you don't get the Fusion menu bar? You need to ensure your mouse is not "trapped" inside the Windows environment. I believe it is command+click and then move your mouse up. You should get the menu bar. This is also the place were you can load VMWare tools into Windows, so the menu bar must still be there somewhere. When you find the menu bar it is File-->New.

However, I still believe in Virtual Box, for CentOS, rather than having multiple guests in one product, where you can only run one OS or the other, you can run both (well 3 OSes simultaneously: Mac OS X, Windows in Fusion, CentOS in Virtual Box). I know that this will slam your machine, but if you ever have to run both Windows and CentOS, it would be better in two VM environments. I took an Oracle DBA course and that is exactly what we did, we got Virtual Box (which is a free Oracle owned product) and we loaded in CentOS. It was great, it did not interfere with my Fusion/Windows environment.

Your course says you can use any virtualization product you wish, it is just that they give explicit instructions, with screen shots in VMWare Fusion and VMWare Player. They also indicate how install CentOS into those enviroments. I actually went fairly far into the course and Parallels/Windows 8.1 and Virtual Box/CentOS works well. However, I am not really eligible to take any tests nor earn anything. The course is intended for high school students, college students or long term unemployed, of which I am not. But proof of concept, they want you to have Windows and CentOS, they leave virtualization up to you if you want it. I seems the default is Windows PC, using VM Ware Player of which you install CentOS.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
Thanks for all of your help! :)
I did install the Linux CentOs 64 bit on my VMWare. However, both virtual machines (Windows 8.1 and Linux) run at the same time. :( I know I don't want that. Any suggestions? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Thanks for all of your help! :)
I did install the Linux CentOs 64 bit on my VMWare. However, both virtual machines (Windows 8.1 and Linux) run at the same time. :( I know I don't want that. Any suggestions? :D

Sounds like you have them set to start up on boot..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.