unwanted download

OP
J
Reaction score
the point everyone should get from this thread is that there is no such thing as a safe download or update. There is an intricate web of interconnectivity of the programs and changing one often affects others.

SO DON'T DO IT UNLESS YOU REALLY NEED TO !!!

OP
J
Reaction score
Something more is really screwey now. Internet page opens are really slow now, with all browsers. I want to put my time machine backup from my external hard drive back onto the laptops hard drive but don't see how it is done. From there I will reinstall Yosemite and then the other extra programs i like.

Another option I may have is to use Migration Assistant to put the backup of my 2010 Macbook Pro onto this 2008 Macbook Pro.

OP
J
Reaction score
late 2008, Macbook Pro 5,1 A1286 with OSX 10.7.5 Lion, Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB RAM 1067MHz DDR3, 120GB SSD, 781 count battery, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Dual Boot, 15.4” screen, serial # W8845CW31G0

mid 2010 Apple MacBook Pro 6,2 15.4” screen, Laptop A1286 (Mid 2010), 2.4GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1067MHz DDR3, 128GB SSD Good Condition (476 ct battery) serial # W81051JEAGU, Mavericks OSX 10.9.5

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It's actually pretty easy to restore things from your Time Machine backup. You can find directions here. Have a look at the section on restoring the entire drive.

Transferring the OS from your 2010 machine to the older one midge / might not work. If the drivers your older Mac needs are not present on the newer machine, I don't remember if they are, some things may not work properly.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
What did you download from the App Store?
I can't imagine an update would effect a 3rd party web browser.
Try emptying the browser cache and cookies. Then go to 365 home page and start again.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums.

OP
J
Reaction score
wow! Now my external hard drive just gave up the ghost.
When it rains, it pours.

Now this computer is acting like my old decreped one that is so slow that I couldn’t live with myself if I sold it to someone.

I know some things are hard to believe but when the green alien is staring you in the face then you have to believe they exist. (a strange metaphor but you get the point)

C

chas_m

Ah, so what we've been seeing here is the collapse of the hard drive. I hope your backups were up to date.

OP
J
Reaction score
No, that was my external hard drive that I only used to store backups from my 2 laptops.

Any of you were into the TV series Dr. House? the patient would come in with a cold and before you know it he was bleeding from all orifices and then after they stopped the bleeding he got a heart attack and so on and so on till they finally came up with a unique cure just in time to save his life. Well my Yosemite laptop kept getting worst. I couldn't even open up this forum page. I am connecting with my favorite Mavericks computer now. And on the Yosemite laptop I tried accessing this forum after having started it up in Windows 7 but I couldn't get any of the browsers to open any internet page. Not one! So whatever has been "damaged" is affecting browsing on the Windows half also.

ps- please don't anyone say that's impossible because nothing is impossible with computers, the negative stuff that is. Why was I even using the Yosemite laptop? I was getting it ready for sale. I wanted everything to be working good. I like the Mavericks one better but I am waiting for memory cards to arrive for it. It gets slow when I open as many applications as I normally do.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
And on the Yosemite laptop I tried accessing this forum after having started it up in Windows 7 but I couldn't get any of the browsers to open any internet page. Not one! So whatever has been "damaged" is affecting browsing on the Windows half also.

That suggests to me that there is something else going on besides or in addition to whatever problems might have been caused by the updates. At this point I'm not sure what it is or I'd tell you.

OP
J
Reaction score
well Dr House did heart transplant last night and although it took 8 hours the patient is once again connecting in the net at normal speed. (I reinstalled Yosemite)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I found it. iTunes was set to do automatic updates. What befuddles me though is that it does its updating every time for the last 2 weeks. I highly doubt iTunes had a new update each day for 2 weeks straight.

Not if you are using Genius Match. It will update every time you turn iTunes on but I have never seen a dialogue box unless you are referring to Notifications.
A screen shot would really help. Do you know how to do this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.