Unacceptable. so angry .

Reaction score
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I want to pull my friggin hair out right now!!!!!!

I've had my macbook since 17 APR and for the first two days it was great. In the last two days, I've wanted to throw it out the window. My internet speed test (speakeasy.com/speedtest/) was ridiculously slow.

My intel celeron m with 1gb ram pulled 2672kbps down and threw 401kbps up. The macbook core duo 1gb pulled 1105kbps down and threw 275kbps up. ARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!

I searched for an answer and tried a few fixes mentioned on the internet to no avail. I installed Firefox, cleared caches (even though activity monitor says I have 512 free) changing DNS servers, etc. and its still slow.

Why should I have to go in and "fix" this anyway? They just work? BS. I'm so friggin mad right now. It seems that I'm not the only one having problems here either: http://www.google.com/search?q=wire...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Itunes has been acting up as well. I have to open it and close it about three times before it loads the radio channels. Then I have to click and re-click different channels until "getting playlist" or "est. Connection" actually work. It took over 10 minutes to get the radio playing...

I'm going to call apple care tomorrow and then decide if I want to keep this thing. I've never had a wireless problem like this on a PC... always fast and I didn't have to change a bunch of crap to get to "good enough." I feel like I was duped.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to the unit...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
i'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to the unit...

I got to look up that thread on the unit. I know it's around here somewhere....;)

OP
ttownfire
Reaction score
I posted at first by accident before I had really started... apparently pressing keys in a certain combination triggers events... lol.

I REALLY, REALLY want to like this computer, if thats any help...

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
sorry for hi-jacking your thread ttownfire. :)

it was a little weird at first when you just had this...

Unacceptable. so angry .

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I want to pull my friggin hair out right now!!!!!!

i usually see better speeds with my macbook than i did with any windows machine i had on my linksys wireless router. not sure what your issue is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Just ran a speed test, pulling the same numbers as I do on my PCs.

What router do you have? What does your setup look like (i.e. how many computers hooked up wirelessly and how many via Ethernet)

OP
ttownfire
Reaction score
Just ran a speed test, pulling the same numbers as I do on my PCs.

What router do you have? What does your setup look like (i.e. how many computers hooked up wirelessly and how many via Ethernet)

D-Link Dl-524 | One worthless macbook connection | One blazing Toshiba PC laptop connection | Wep 128 acsii (tried WPA don't have WPA 2) | No ethernet connections |

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Hmm, that's odd. I've tried my Macbook on a DI-524 and it worked just fine. So I can't blame the router for your problem (though of course, this means I can't blame the Macbook Pro either since mine works just fine).

Have you tried without any encryption? What about resetting the modem and router? Also, if you have an Ethernet cable lying around, try connecting the MBP to the router and then test the speed (be sure to disable Airport). Is it faster or the same?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
has it always been like this, or has it gotten slower?

how does it do wired?

are you using the same location for testing both computers? i see a huge difference sometimes even on the t1 at work depending on which location i hit on the speakeasy test.

OP
ttownfire
Reaction score
It has become much slower in last two days. Using LA as the test for both machines. I've tried cycling the power to everything in my entire apartment. I even pounded my head on the desk a few times.

The spinning "black and white thing" next to the pointer hasn't been around until today. Yesterday it wasn't as bad, but today... today I want to smash it with a baseball bat over, and over, and over, and over again. I NEED this thing working right now, as I'm trying to rapidly learn ruby in rails before my next project.

I suspect its software. Many people have had the same issues after installation of the OSX updates and such... I'm tracking...

OP
ttownfire
Reaction score
So far I've installed 10.4.9 but I haven't installed the Airport update 1.0... I'm looking into it... it seems the AP 1.0 update was written for the MBP and the Dlink 624...

Edit: At least I can still connect... Although its a poor connection at best.

Check this out: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=883021&tstart=0#4467714

Apple better get on this ASAP. One commenter noted: "I'm seriously ill with my first month of mac ownership." I will certainly agree with that. I'm seriously sick to my stomach that its going to get progressively worse like everyone else.

Apple: "We have no viruses, because we can't get on the internet in the first place."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
The first thing you should do is connect it via RJ45 direct to your router - this will then tell you whether it is a computer/router issue, or an airport issue.

Secondly, what encryption have you set on your router?

And thirdly, have you run software update?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
First thing is to calm down.

Tell us precisely what you have in your network settings. Is the same if you move to a few centimetres next to your router? Have you tried updating the firmware on your router?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I hope this does not cause any hurt feelings but here goes. I have a Dlink 624 here. It has been the most FLAKY router I have ever used Wirelessly. I have many computers with Wifi, Both PC's and Macs. All get a very weak signal from it no matter what I do. Latest Firmware. Also it's always dropping connection. I have a close friend with one and he has the same issues, bad WiFi range and the thing drops wireless all the time. I took an old NetGear over there and all his problems went away. When I bought it and had issues, I ran into people all over the net with problems with the Dlink 624 and all matched what I was seeing here.

That URL you listed is full of people having WiFi issues with Macbooks and MBP's and most seem to have that Dlink router.

I use Linksys here and have had no issues with either PPC or Intel Macs with all the latest apple updates installed and Wifi using WEP, WPA and WPA2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I've got to agree that Netgear are the best. My housemate's DLink is always dropping connection on my PC, but she refuses to replace it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.