Unacceptable. so angry .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Internet connection speeds rarely are an issue with the actual computer.

You should keep looking at the router as suggested above and/or contact your internet service provider.

What kind of internet service do you have? DSL, Cable, Fiber Optic, Dial up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Ttownfire, I am new switcher like yourself. I have a new Black MB, and I just ran the speed test mentioned above, and its BLAZIN' fast. I'll tell you this much though. My first wireless attempt was on a D-Link Router and it just was terrible and wouldn't connect or set up right. Untill I gave in and got a NetGear and it just WORKS FLAWLESSLY. you might wanna try that, it sets up real easy compared to both DLink and Linksys. No software to run or anything, as soon as u connect to the router a web based guide opens up and u r set.

Hope you can figure out whats going on, the MB are solid computers and they are amazing.

Enjoy.

Reaction score
My wireless has always been lightning fast on my Macbook Pro so I'm not sure what's going on here. If it helps, I have a LinkSys wireless access point.

One thing you might want to do is if you go out for lunch today, take it with you to a Starbuck's or somewhere and try out the wireless connection there. If it works great, then you know you have a hardware issue at home rather than a software one on the Mac.

Reaction score
Apple: "We have no viruses, because we can't get on the internet in the first place."

LOL...This would be by far the most effective anti-virus strategy.

Jokes aside, connection issues are rarely a result of the computer itself. More often than not, the issue is router compatibility. For instance, my Macbook Pro connects at blazing speeds at home, while considerably slower at one Starbucks, but faster at Tulli's.

I suggest trying your connection with various other wifi hotspots comparing and contrasting your performance in different areas with different makes.

I think you'll find quite a wide range of performance variance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Many of the above posters have suggested troubleshooting the problem by connecting directly with wires to your internet router. I second that idea. This will tell you immediately if you are looking at an overall system issue or a wireless only issue. Excellent first step.

Secondly, just in case you haven't done it, I would recommend a round of routine maintenance on your machine:

First, check that your processor is running full speed. Go to Preferences, Energy Saver, Options and look at the drop box down near the bottom called Processor Performance. If it is not set to "Highest", set it to that right away. This maximizes performance, but for notebooks, it may run down the battery faster. Note that not all Macs have this setting - laptops do, and my certainly my PowerMac G5 tower does, but not all Macs do.

Next, download OnyX and run the complete set of clean up and maintenance scripts and then evaluate again. Get OnyX at:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html

Next, you may wish to check that you have enough free space on your hard drive. Highlight the Macintosh HD icon on your desktop, CTL-click it and select Get Info from the resulting menu. Make sure you have a reasonable amount of space left. If not, a little spring cleaning may be in order.

There are two excellent apps for showing where all of your hard disk space has gone, Disk Inventory X and WhatSize. Get them at:

Disk Inventory X: http://www.derlien.com

WhatSize: http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize

Both do a great job at letting you zero in on your largest disk space consumers, so that you can hunt down any rogue files (and both are freeware, which is good).

Finally, it is possible you may have some processes running that are consuming a lot of idle CPU, thus slowing down your machine overall. I had a bad widget that did this once. Open Activity Monitor and look at your "resting" CPU occupancy when you are not doing anything in particular with the machine. It should be pretty much zero (maybe 1% to 2% at most). If it not, identify the process or processes that are taking the time. What are they? Do you recognize them? Are they needed?

If you find one that is not needed, kill it and see how your machine starts to behave. If this is the cure, you will need to identify the startup item that launches it and delete it.

So, in summary then, take the following steps in order:
1/ Start with ensuring that your processor speed setting is full (applies to many Macs but not all)
2/ Then do Onyx based full maintenance
3/ Then check that you have sufficient available disk space
4/ Finally, search for processes that are consuming an unexpected amount of CPU

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Bones said:
Ummm...

4064 kbps down
1458 kbps up

Is this good?

That's about average down... but great up.

(For standard Cable Internet)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
You say your getting 1105 download and you think that's slow? I realize your not getting the connection you want or that your paying for, but that is still a fast connection. Where I live I can only get 1.5 and let me tell you, it's still fast and beats dial up. When you through your little hissy fit and think you have a crappy mac or have been duped and then you call tech support and complain, people like me are on the other end and we really don't appreciate your anger and ignorance. This problem isn't just the computer, it's you and your set up. I and everyone else here is more then happy to help you. So just relax and enjoy your new computer and this problem will get fixed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
OP
ttownfire
Reaction score
Mac 57 - this computer was born on 17 APR. I doubt I have any issues with things being out of place.

Thanks for the replies. I will hard connect to my Comcast cable modem later tonight when I get home.

However, I don't think I should have a problem in the first place. Looking in the networking forums, I found a plethora of people that have HUGE problems with wireless connections. This is absolutely unacceptable. period.

Why should I have to change my router? I just think that is the wrong answer and not the image the pc vs mac ads portray... Quite the opposite actually. If it was a small issue I wouldn't be so angry. But now the answer seems to be; drop money on this thing like it grows on trees for something that is supposed to "just work!" Throwing money at a problem is lame.

Reaction score
Well, "should have"s are not going to solve your problem. A problem exists. Focus on fixing it rather than raging against the Apple marketing department. :)

Millions of people use wireless on Mac without incident.

I found a plethora of people that have HUGE problems with wireless connections. This is absolutely unacceptable. period.
There are even more people who have these sorts of problems on Windows as well. This is not a Mac specific issue.

Reaction score
Wait. wait for it.. I'm going to tell you what the best wireless router is, hands down.

Wait for it....

OK here it is: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16833162173

Seriously. Some of you might be thinking, "Buffalo? Never heard of it, sounds generic." Believe me when I say, this thing rocks. Why:

1) Signal strength is INCREDIBLE. Blows away my previous LinkSys WRT54G by far. Every laptop in the house has no issue maintaining a fast, solid connection.

2) Affordable. Er.. woops. Wow, the price went up. I swear it was $38 when I bought it. Well, still, it's worth every buck. I would've gladly paid $60 for it.

3) Easily hackable. Google for Tomato firmware. Grab that, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY, and flash your Buffalo router with it. Now you've got one of the most flexible and kickass firmwares out there.

Now, whether the Buffalo WHR-G54S works with a Mac, I don't know yet as I don't have a MacBook. But I have a sneaking suspicion it would work out just fine. Actually: http://forums.macresource.com/read/1/284385

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
3) Easily hackable. Google for Tomato firmware. Grab that, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY, and flash your Buffalo router with it. Now you've got one of the most flexible and kickass firmwares out there.

Umm, the WRT54G is hackable as well. The early revisions had Linux-based firmware (granted the newer ones don't) but they make a Linux-specific model for the same price, the WRT54GL (notice the L at the end).

I have the latter model and ironically, also have the Tomato firmware installed. This thing provides great coverage and an amazing connection, regardless of what device is connected (I say device because I also have my Xbox360 hooked up to it). I have 4 laptops and 1 desktop hooked up wirelessly, along with 2 desktops and my Xbox360 hooked up via Ethernet, and I still get amazing speeds (though admittedly my fast 30down/5up connection probably has something to do with it ;))

Reaction score
The WRT54G is hackable only previous to v5. I believe some firmwares support v5 and newer. But in the wireless signal strength area, WRT54G is horrible. Trust me, the WHR-G54S is worlds ahead of the LinkSys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
To the O.P.:

Welcome to Mac. Plain and simple......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i'd point my finger at the router because my powermac and powerbook both performed awful on my dlink router...i had a fios 15/5 connection and got terrible transfer speeds....now i am on a airport extreme and dsl at a much lower speed and my speed tests are actually higher than my fios tests

edit: and if i recall correctly my fathers dell (win xp) got better numbers than both my macs combined

-chris

OP
ttownfire
Reaction score
Let me first say; I'm very sorry if I came off like a little kid that just got his candy taken away. I can name a hundred excuses as to why I acted like I did, but as the old adage goes; "excuses are like butts, everybody has one and they all stink." So I won't bore you with personal things going on...

Here is what I did to make it right; I reseted the router about two dozen times, changing broadcast name, changing channels, and finally changing security. I worked through them very methodically. After every change I would recheck speed and so forth. I finally got to 3864 Kbps down and 513 up.

I changed several items in the network preferences. I moved the Airport connection priority one step with a static change/reset on the router config. Moving Airport to the top of the list seemed to help the most.

I also moved my Safari plist onto my desktop, to put it in default mode and recheck there. Nothing really happened, but it was a neat experiment with my first foray into uncharted territory on the mac.

Anyway, I'm happy with the outcome and I hope you all will have the patience to deal with me again in the future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.