Trying to reboot with internet recovery on iMac...taking forever

zeb

Reaction score
I just got a 2010 27" iMac. When I went to install a new copy of the OS through the recovery HD it froze and I had to restart...now the only option it gives me is the internet recovery with the spinning globe.

Once the loading screen with the globe fully loads, it goes to a blank screen with nothing but the apple logo.
I have left it for almost 45 minutes now and nothing has happened.

is this normal? Is it OK to leave the screen on like this and let it work?

I have done this many times and don't remember this issue.

Please help if you can.

I'm afraid the apple logo is going to get burned into the screen. Nothing is changing.

I attached a photo of what my screen looks like right now

itt8K35.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Give it time and patience and hopefully it will all finally finish and maybe with an additional long delay restart and don't worry about any apple logo display burn in, that doesn't apply to led displays these days.

Good luck, and maybe sit back and relax and have a nice glass of wine or your choice of drink…!!

OP
Z

zeb

Reaction score
Give it time and patience and hopefully it will all finally finish and maybe with an additional long delay restart and don't worry about any apple logo display burn in, that doesn't apply to led displays these days.

Good luck, and maybe sit back and relax and have a nice glass of wine or your choice of drink…!!

Thanks!
Is this something that will take a couple hours, or something that could take all night?
Is it OK to leave the screen like that and go to sleep?

Thanks again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How fast is your internet connection? Unless you have a fairly fast broadband connection, an internet recovery can be an all night affair. Keep in mind that during the internet recovery, the software examines your iMac and checks the hardware before it even starts to download the original version of OS X that your iMac shipped with. And don't worry about the Apple getting burned into your screen. That won't happen on modern LCD displays but if you're worried, turn down the brightness.

OP
Z

zeb

Reaction score
How fast is your internet connection? Unless you have a fairly fast broadband connection, an internet recovery can be an all night affair. Keep in mind that during the internet recovery, the software examines your iMac and checks the hardware before it even starts to download the original version of OS X that your iMac shipped with. And don't worry about the Apple getting burned into your screen. That won't happen on modern LCD displays but if you're worried, turn down the brightness.

It's stuck on the mac screen. I can't change the brightness or anything unfortunately.

What screen should I be seeing before letting it sit all night?

I'm just concerned because it hasn't even gotten to the boot menu where I can choose to re-install the OS yet.
It showed the globe, then turned into the apple logo screen.

I have never had to wait this long, it's just strange.

I should have just left it I guess and not tried to install a fresh OS.
Thought it would be easy.

Do I have any other options?

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do I have any other options?

Unfortunately, your only other option is to power down the machine. If possible, download OS X on another machine and place the installer on a flash drive and install it that way. You can find the instructions at several on line sites. Macworld magazine is one such site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As pm-r suggested be prepared for an overnight, twelve hour wait if you are installing the OS voia Internet Recovery. Forty five minutes is nothing.

OP
Z

zeb

Reaction score
As pm-r suggested be prepared for an overnight, twelve hour wait if you are installing the OS voia Internet Recovery. Forty five minutes is nothing.

I'm OK with that...but is it normal for it to be on this screen with just the apple logo for that long? Or should I be on a different screen?
I have only ever reinstalled completely from the recoveryHD not internet recovery.

It's just weird because there is no progress bar or anything. Just an apple logo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's something I wasn't really aware of. Just in case you got caught up with Apple's methods:
"… if you see the Apple logo you waited too long and need to reboot and try again* " [Bold mine]

No mention if one needs to hold their tongue on the left side of the cheek with the right eye half closed or some such… :Evil:

Anyway, if you're still stuck…
1. Immediately after hearing the Mac boot chime, hold down Command+Option+R – if you see the Apple logo you waited too long and need to reboot and try again*

* You can also use Command+R to boot into Recovery mode, older Mac models that do not support Internet Recovery will need to do that. Note that newer Macs that have both options can choose either, or they can can skip the recovery drive and go directly into Internet Recovery by using the Command+Option+R boot shortcut.
http://osxdaily.com/2014/12/14/reinstall-os-x-mac-internet-recovery/

Or maybe get hold of someone locally who could help with a OS X Installer you or they could use … ???

OP
Z

zeb

Reaction score
Here's something I wasn't really aware of. Just in case you got caught up with Apple's methods:
"… if you see the Apple logo you waited too long and need to reboot and try again* " [Bold mine]

No mention if one needs to hold their tongue on the left side of the cheek with the right eye half closed or some such… :Evil:

Anyway, if you're still stuck…
1. Immediately after hearing the Mac boot chime, hold down Command+Option+R – if you see the Apple logo you waited too long and need to reboot and try again*

* You can also use Command+R to boot into Recovery mode, older Mac models that do not support Internet Recovery will need to do that. Note that newer Macs that have both options can choose either, or they can can skip the recovery drive and go directly into Internet Recovery by using the Command+Option+R boot shortcut.
http://osxdaily.com/2014/12/14/reinstall-os-x-mac-internet-recovery/

Or maybe get hold of someone locally who could help with a OS X Installer you or they could use … ???

That's if you are using the recovery HD. I'm using internet recovery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well let's go back a bit. If it has an operating system of OS X.6.6 or later, and you have an Apple ID and password, go into the App Store which will be in the Dock orunder the little apple icon top right corner, and download Yosemite from there. Internet Receovery is for use when your hard drive crashes or a new drive installed. If you just want to update the OS, do as suggested via OS X..6.6 and the App Store. Whenever asking for assistance always provide model and operating system details.

After downloading the Installer will be in the Applictions folder. Suggest you make a copy to an 8GB thumb drive using DiskmakerX and erase and format the hard drive so everything is nice and clean.

http://diskmakerx.com

OP
Z

zeb

Reaction score
Well let's go back a bit. If it has an operating system of OS X.6.6 or later, and you have an Apple ID and password, go into the App Store which will be in the Dock orunder the little apple icon top right corner, and download Yosemite from there. Internet Receovery is for use when your hard drive crashes or a new drive installed. If you just want to update the OS, do as suggested via OS X..6.6 and the App Store. Whenever asking for assistance always provide model and operating system details.

After downloading the Installer will be in the Applictions folder. Suggest you make a copy to an 8GB thumb drive using DiskmakerX and erase and format the hard drive so everything is nice and clean.

http://diskmakerx.com

There is something wrong. When I turn the imac on, a screen with a folder and question mark pops up. Then the globe, as described in the OP.
I need to install from scratch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is something wrong. When I turn the imac on, a screen with a folder and question mark pops up. Then the globe, as described in the OP.
I need to install from scratch.

Is that globe etc. occurring on it's own without you pressing any keys??

Even so, that's a bit odd to me as that 2010 iMac would have come with Pre-Installed MacOS: X 10.6.3 and I guess you don't have the Installer DVD disk or even a Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.3 min. Retail Install disk (Black) you could use???

I'm wondering and I'll have to check if that iMac actually supports and works properly with any Internet Recovery, or maybe some guru could post that info.

OP
Z

zeb

Reaction score
Is that globe etc. occurring on it's own without you pressing any keys??

Even so, that's a bit odd to me as that 2010 iMac would have come with Pre-Installed MacOS: X 10.6.3 and I guess you don't have the Installer DVD disk or even a Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.3 min. Retail Install disk (Black) you could use???

I'm wondering and I'll have to check if that iMac actually supports and works properly with any Internet Recovery, or maybe some guru could post that info.

I finally got through and got to the recovery hd screen.
However, when I select "reinstall OS" it goes through the process, twice (where it shows the percentage) and then just goes back to the main screen where you can choose reinstall os, disk utility, etc.

So even there it fails to reinstall the OS.

My only option left is to try a time machine backup.

The iMac was fine with the OS installed when I got it. I never should have tried to reinstall the OS. I just always like to do that. And I have never had an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may be sh*t out of luck for using any Recovery Mode with that iMac thanks to the info I was able to find here:
http://www.techradar.com/us/how-to/...mac-boot-up-problems-in-recovery-mode-1305641

"If a Recovery partition isn’t available, holding Command + R starts Internet Recovery (on models released since OS X Lion, and some earlier models — see support.apple.com/kb/HT4904). This shows a globe and a progress bar while your version of OS X is downloaded."

Apple's article says that 2010 iMac would need the iMac EFI Update 1.8 installed:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1493?locale=en_CA

For more info:
"Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery"
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1493?locale=en_CA

Some computers that did not come with OS X Lion or later installed can use the OS X Internet Recovery feature after applying a firmware update.
Download and install an updated EFI Firmware ROM for these computers to use the OS X Internet Recovery feature:
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011)
iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011)
iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)
MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2010)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010)
Mac mini (Mid 2010)
MacBook Pro (15-inch and 17-inch, Mid 2010)
iMac (21.5-inch and 27-inch, Mid 2010)
MacBook Air (11-inch and 13-inch, Late 2010)

Check the webpage for active links/models.

PS: There is a good chance that the HDD on that iMac is partially kaput!! It's at that age…

I need to go and do some checking fort my own mid 2011 27" iMac that's actually listed there, but I have several CCC cloned backups if I ever need to reinstall, c/w Mavericks etc. Installer images.

I haven't bothered going past that updated X.9.5 as yet and no real need or use to do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are running Snow Leopard and Internet Recovery was not invented then as the OS came on a DVD. I trust you still have the original Snow Leopard DVD? If not lash out $20 and purchase a copy from Apple Online, erase the hard drive from it and install, and update to O X.6.8 and from there you can establish an Apple ID and download El Capitan.

We could have got to this earlier as that information about Snow Leopard and the folder with the question mark shows there is no operating system on it and you need to start with Snow Leopard. Internet Receovery works only on models that came with Lion OS X.7 (2012) and later operating systems.

OP
Z

zeb

Reaction score
You are running Snow Leopard and Internet Recovery was not invented then as the OS came on a DVD. I trust you still have the original Snow Leopard DVD? If not lash out $20 and purchase a copy from Apple Online, erase the hard drive from it and install, and update to O X.6.8 and from there you can establish an Apple ID and download El Capitan.

We could have got to this earlier as that information about Snow Leopard and the folder with the question mark shows there is no operating system on it and you need to start with Snow Leopard. Internet Receovery works only on models that came with Lion OS X.7 (2012) and later operating systems.

How do you know I have snow leopard?
As far as I know, either Yosemite or el capitan was installed on the imac by the previous seller.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do you know I have snow leopard?
As far as I know, either Yosemite or el capitan was installed on the imac by the previous seller.

Hmmm….??? We don't really know what all you have installed. You may not even have a proper Recovery HD partition I'm beginning to suspect.

You can try booting and holding the option key and see what OS version that iMac might think it has installed. But one thing we do know is whatever one it's trying to boot from isn't blessed or valid and isn't working.

I'd agree with harryb2448 and save yourself a lot of wasted time and get the OS X SL MacOS X v. 10.6.3 Install disk from Apple, or at least give them a call if you ever paid for Lion or above.

And unless it had both Yosemite and/or el capitan installed as you say, the OS X Recovery Mode will normally attempt to install the previous version of what was installed. If that happened to be SL 10.6.x, I think you're up the bean pole and it ain't gonna work, even IF the proper EFI is even installed.

OP
Z

zeb

Reaction score
Backing up from time machine on another harddrive with el capitan seemed to work. Hopefully it stays that way!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Backing up from time machine on another harddrive with el capitan seemed to work. Hopefully it stays that way!

Unfortunately I have no idea what you are actually ending up doing and possibly nobody else does either which won't help another user that ends up with the same problem you seemed to have started out with… Oh well, carry on I guess…

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.