• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Totally cutting this out of my diet

T

todd51

Soda...

...it kills me, this sweet sugary drink that I love so dearly. I just poured out about half of a 2 Liter down the sink because I know it's not very good for me. I'm going to stick to my delicious water and iced tea. Wish me luck!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
good man. it wouldn't be so horrible if it weren't for that high fructose corn syrup.

do you do sun tea or powder? (i do a little of both myself, and hot tea of course)

OP
T

todd51

I usually do sun tea...although lately I have been buying these Lipton Iced Tea bags that come in a little box. They are called "cold brew" and they brew within like 5 minutes in a pitcher of water and they were pretty good and pretty much taste like your normal sun tea. Just a lot less time. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Three words: Diet Dr Pepper.
Two more: Cherry vanilla.
And another two: Coke Zero.

Now that that's out of the way...good for you. Water is literally the stuff of life. (Can't speak for tea. Down here it's more sugary than soda.)

OP
T

todd51

Reason I am cutting it out is because every time I am drinking it, it's like the two halfs of my brain are arguing, one saying how good it tastes and how refreshing it is.

The other is constantly saying how sugary this stuff is for me and how bad it is.

This and I am trying to eat a little healthier. I'm cutting down my calorie intake and portion-sizing myself so I eat more meals a day, but a lot less quantity to maintain a good motabolism.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, i used to do cold brew all the time... what happened to that? i've got to put that on the shopping list again!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
no, i'm on caffine maintenance. does little for me, but if i don't have it... headaches, crankiness, feh!

OP
T

todd51

I also am on caffine, not because I want to be, but because it's usually the first box I see :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I drink caffeine free pop but I also am trying to stop it altogether. I guess diet pop is actually worse than sugar. But all is bad. Didn't think I was so hooked on it, but some things I hardly want to eat without it, like Pizza, popcorn, hamburger, etc. Need will power!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
I don't think I could ever give up soda. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I don't drink soda except for a Mountain Dew once in a blue moon.

I haven't touched Coke/Pepsi in, oh about 3-4 years. Even then, the last time I had it was because there was nothing else to drink. It was probably another 2-3 years before that when I had some of that nasty drink.

It helps to quit when you know that Coke will eat your car paint and dissolve a piece of steak overnight :bomb:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I haven't drunk soda in several years. I recommend trying natural sodas like http://www.izze.com/ and others, or making your own with juices and club soda. It's a really great substitute! (Getting my fiance to give up his orange soda was a breeze once he tried Izze.) My absolutely favorite combo? Orange, pineapple and cranberry juice with club soda or seltzer in equal parts. Oh and club soda keeps its fizziness longer than seltzer.
414308864_73a7168f7b_o.gif

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, i hate the stuff (and saccharine). give me real cane sugar any day. didn't they know that stuff was dangerous shortly after it was released?

i'm still wary of the new one too - is it sucralose? why don't they just start growing more agave?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Who needs soda when you got alcohol? :yinyang:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
Amen leecho7! hehe

I'm on a health kick at the mo in preparation for my holiday in Egypt the begining of June! It's going well so far (lost 19lbs) however sugary things are my down fall! I try to drink more water (Well, Diluted juice stuff - plain water I just cant stomach!) but it's just laziness really... it's easier to grab a can of Coke out the fridge than it is to make a glass of Ribena or something....lol there's no hope for me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
however sugary things are my down fall!

I can totally understand; I have an insatiable sweet tooth. I've been doing better with avoiding sweets, but I'll tell you that Tiramisu (or God forbid Tiramisu Cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory) is my downfall. :)

As for soda, I've mainly given it up. Every few months or so I might have a Coke Zero. Lately I just drink water or maybe one of Snapple's new white tea drinks, especially the raspberry. I also like a latte or good chai a few times a week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
Soda...

...it kills me, this sweet sugary drink that I love so dearly. I just poured out about half of a 2 Liter down the sink because I know it's not very good for me. I'm going to stick to my delicious water and iced tea. Wish me luck!

GOOD IDEA!

I did the same thing when I started training for a 5K race about two weeks ago. Between the running and my soda-free diet, I feel like a whole new person.

Oh, and good luck! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.