• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Totally cutting this out of my diet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Blah...I don't even like pop (yeah, pop...got a problem?). I really don't drink it unless there isn't water around for some reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I dont drink much soda lately (pop is what a cork does ;)), but since the water at college is gross, I make koolaid and drink alot of that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I seem to recall this discussion here once before. Oh yeah. Here.

Anyway, I cut most HFCS out of my diet months ago, and thanks to this (along with a regular exercise regimen and watching my diet overall) I lost almost 40 pounds since October.

Sitting in front of the computer with a Coke has been a longtime habit of mine, but now I'm all about the teas, especially the blends from Teavana.

By the way, be very careful with Sun Tea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Just now drank my last can of soda (i hope). I've tried this before and didn't keep it up but I'm really serious now. Too much sugar and "fake" sugar in the diet. I'll try some teas and mostly water. I'll really miss soda though...addicted!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
My mother has been a Coke addict ( the soda kind ;) ) since she was pregnant with my oldest brother and he's 28 now! She tried to go cold turkey a few months ago and within a couple of days she was very cranky with terrible headaches. The whole family was begging her to drink the darn stuff in the end, she had become such a nightmare to live with! lol

Good luck with your soda free quest Carol! I might just join you. I always feel so much better when I force 2ltrs of water down me a day. I find keeping a reusable water bottle on me at all times helps a lot.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Caffeine free Diet Coke, coffee and Samuel Adams are my beverages of choice. I'll drink iced tea on occasion, but Diet Coke is a staple in my house. I can't stand regular soda, it's absurdly sweet. I can imagine why you'd want to give it up. I'll drink water if there's nothing else but regular soda.

I'm sure saccarine will kill a lab rat in large quantities, but I can't live without it. I even prefer Sweet n' Low in my coffee to any other sweetner. Just the right amount of sweetness IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It helps to quit when you know that Coke will eat your car paint and dissolve a piece of steak overnight :bomb:
That is actually an urban legend that has been dispelled by Discovery Channel's Mythbusters show.

:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
Mythbusters is ace!

Coke does make a good toilet cleaner though...hmmm....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Anyway, I cut most HFCS out of my diet months ago, and thanks to this (along with a regular exercise regimen and watching my diet overall) I lost almost 40 pounds since October.

Congratulations! That's awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
One sure way of sticking with the new drink would be to make it an irresistible iced tea by using loose tea leaves of some flavor you like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That is actually an urban legend that has been dispelled by Discovery Channel's Mythbusters show.

:black:

My high school health teacher would beg to differ. Left the Coke on his car for a couple hours, when he took it off there was a ring of paint missing where the Coke had spilled over the side of the can.

Now, the meat thing could be a myth, but I always wanted to try it out. Maybe I'll give it a shot this week :black:

Though I remember reading somewhere what happens in your body when you ingest the Coke. Shows that it continues to affect bodily functions up till an hour or so after you take that first sip. :(

Reaction score
Good luck, man. I haven't had soda in about a month, after I had drank a 20 oz. bottle or two a day. After a little while, you don't really miss it. I didn't, anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Now, the meat thing could be a myth, but I always wanted to try it out. Maybe I'll give it a shot this week :black:
Yeah, that is what I was referring to with the Mythbusters comment. All the soda did was marinate the steak, it didn't dissolve it or eat away even a fraction of an ounce of it, and they let it sit submerged in it for two entire days. :black:
Jaime actually said it smelled almost pleasant and considered cooking it. :black:

As far as the paint, almost any acidic solvent can wear that away (depending on the type of paint).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Congratulations! That's awesome.

Thanks! It's amazing how much better I feel as well...

johntalin said:
One sure way of sticking with the new drink would be to make it an irresistible iced tea by using loose tea leaves of some flavor you like.

...which is one of the really cool things you can do at Teavana.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
I heard, you can clean your toilet bowl with Coke very efficiently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'm on board guys... no more soda for me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM, 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm, SuperDrive 6x
Been off pop for awhile. I drank a Dr. Pepper and a Mt Dew each day. Now I am drinking this red vitamen 54 water. Forget the exact name, but they always have this funny comment on the bottle, and the stuff is pure vitamen. Might have to try that izze that was mentioned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
There's arguments on both sides of the issue. Name a food and I'll find some group somewhere that says it's bad for you and another group that says it's not.

Agreed. But this is not about opinion, it's about scientific evidence and research.

http://www.talewins.com/diet/aspartame.htm
Aspartame is extremely poisonous, and here is why. One of the toxic ingredients of Aspartame is wood alcohol. When the temperature of Aspartame exceeds 86 degrees F, the wood alcohol in the Aspartame is converted to formaldehyde, and then to formic acid, which in turn causes metabolic acidosis.

Formaldehyde is grouped in the same class of poisons as Cyanide and Arsenic - which are very deadly toxins. The only difference is... Formaldehyde kills quietly, and it takes a little longer. And, in the process of killing people, it causes all kinds of neurological problems.
http://www.greatestherbsonearth.com/articles/aspartame2.htm
In February of 1994, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services released the listing of adverse reactions reported to the FDA (DHHS 1994). Aspartame accounted for more than 75% of all adverse reactions reported to the FDA's Adverse Reaction Monitoring System (ARMS). By the FDA's own admission fewer than ONE PERCENT of those who have problems with something they consume ever report it to the FDA. This balloons the almost 10,000 complaints they once had to around a million.
http://www.holisticmed.com/sweet/ (link to healthy/unhealthy sweeteners)

Forgive me if I sound like a crusader. I'm just concerned for people who don't know about this and who could get very sick because of it!

Try googling "aspartame poisoning" and check out the pages that come up.

*climbs down off soap box*
04.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.