Time Machine problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You have been brilliant and thank you again for your help!

Finally somebody noticed. I must show this to my wife ASAP. Unfortunately I think she might disagree with you. lol.

Good grief! It'll take a least a month before this wears off. Okay, fellow members of these forums... would you like to donate to the "Large Hat" fund? :rofl

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good grief! It'll take a least a month before this wears off. Okay, fellow members of these forums... would you like to donate to the "Large Hat" fund? :rofl
:holdonCan we make that a Mac Pro or new iPad fund?? Dropped mine last night and cracked the screen.:cry

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yikes... that's bad news. Replacing the screen on an iPad is expensive. If you have AppleCare Plus, all you need to do is pay the deductible and Apple will give you a refurbished replacement.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was going to be time for a new one soon anyway. I forget which model this is but it only has 16 GB of storage and would not be able to run the new iPadOS. I'm 3 for 3 with iPad screen cracks. The last one was not bad (outer edge down part of the bezel) so I passed it on to SWMBO. She says the next new iPad that comes into the house is hers. :cry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
... You have been brilliant and thank you again for your help!

Believe it or not, I've been told he sometimes gets sent a large ten gallon Texas hat and someone suggested they are to try and protect his swelled head, and harder to believe yet, is the fact that that little black icon in the bottom left of the message box is actually a thumbs-up icon to give credit to the poster.

I think the person who created the icon was actually an old blind Windows user with severe arthritis and rheumatism problems in his hands and a brain injury in the artist section of his brain.

PS: I'm sure I recall the thumbs-up icon being much better sometime ago. But something sure happened to it.

Actually, I think they got somebody to make a new one, and they were in a bit of a hurry and they told the artist to step on it, which she did, and that's why it looks the way it does. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

OP
Willabong
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 32 G ram MB Pro 2012 16 G ram iPad Air ser 5 2017 iPhone 11 xs max 256.
Apart from the fact that my problem is now solved! What is also evident is that there was (at least in my case) no real reason to do a clean install of my OS in order to get a great result and a fully working clean system change over to a new Admin with no issues whatsoever! Admittedly it takes a bit of work to clean up the system, but it is still simpler than going through a clean install, especially for a newbie with no experience of using the terminal or installing to USB!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
@Willabong, glad you got it going. You could have avoided the "bit of work to clean up the system" by using DiskmakerX to build a bootable USB installer and then just booted into that and clicked on the install option and ended up with a totally clean system. That approach gives a "factory" new install and requires no terminal work at all. Just run DiskmakerX and watch it do its thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apart from the fact that my problem is now solved! What is also evident is that there was (at least in my case) no real reason to do a clean install of my OS in order to get a great result and a fully working clean system change over to a new Admin with no issues whatsoever!

Well. I'd go so far as to say, at at least none that you are aware of.

And Yes, IMHO the suggestion or recommendation to do a "clean install" is often exaggerated a not really necessary.

But in your case, that doesn't really apply and as already suggested way back at the beginning of the thread, it is highly recommended when you bought a used machine as you did.

In those cases it is often recommended to do a complete "Nuke and Pave" which is a cleaner install then a "clean install".

Anyway, I'm glad to hear it appears to be working fine for you. And yes, keeping a Mac running in fine pristine condition can take a fair bit of user invo;ved maintenance, but recent Mac OS versions seems to be doing quite well when doing their own maintenance when allowed to do so on their own.

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Willabong Doing a clean install when one gets a used machine can be annoying and time-consuming. Think about the though: The time you spent getting the system shifted from the previous owners settings to yours could have been applied to the clean install and getting the settings to your liking from the jump. You also avoid the time spent trying to delete those Time Machine backups.

When purchasing used gear there are a few items that may/may not come up later depending upon the previous owner's use /habits:
1. The previous owner left software on the system that is registered to them. If the software "phones home" to check registration credentials you won't likely be able to update that software when t becomes necessary. Microsoft Office and the Photoshop suite are two pieces of software that used to cause this issue but there are others.

2, The previous owner left some software / extensions on the system that you don't want or need. I'm not necessarily talking about malware but software that loads on startup that you don't need running / slowing down the system.

OP
Willabong
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 32 G ram MB Pro 2012 16 G ram iPad Air ser 5 2017 iPhone 11 xs max 256.
In my case I know the previous owners habits and they were not anything more than edit a few photo's and browse the Web. Also there was no registered applications of any kind and only basic standard App store free software. I installed a few paid for registered pieces of software eg: The Affinity range from Serif software and Libre Office, nothing else! I know a clean ship when I see one, and this is a little used system run by an old man owned from new, who did very little to modify anything!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Given that I can see why you chose the route that you did. It's rare to have that good an understanding of the previous users habits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apart from the fact that my problem is now solved! What is also evident is that there was (at least in my case) no real reason to do a clean install of my OS in order to get a great result and a fully working clean system change over to a new Admin with no issues whatsoever!

Hmmm... Maybe I missed it but I don't recall seeing any previous post about your problem here, at least not in this thread.

Anyway, glad to read your Mac is running well.

- Patrick
======

OP
Willabong
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My first post said in part: "My problem is that even though" .....etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My first post said in part: "My problem is that even though" .....etc.

Sorry, I didn't realize that you were the same person as member Disposable, the OP that originally posted that in post #1.

- Patrick
======

OP
Willabong
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry to you! This is my original account, I lost the details of this account and could not sign in with it. I have several e-mail addresses and to many different passwords to count, so I rely on a password manager to store them, and this has worked well until I had a problem with my password manager. Anyway I had to make a new account with my iMac and this site, then I finally sorted out my password manager on my PC and now have 2 accounts, one on my PC and one on the iMac, this is my PC account, I am going to disable one of them as soon as I can be certain that the IMac account will work without problems on my PC as well as the iMac.
These things are sent to try us!:Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have several e-mail addresses and to many different passwords to count, so I rely on a password manager to store them, and this has worked well until I had a problem with my password manager.

Isn't that a bummer when something you really relied on gives up and goes goofy. But nice when things actually do work well, until they don't.

Maybe try and contact the admins and see if you can't get both accounts combined back together as one with some of their help.

- Patrick
======

OP
Willabong
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I have decided to remove my PC account and only use the Mac account, this should avoid confusion, in any case I don't rally need a Mac account on my PC!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Disposable:

I can combine your "Willabong" account with "Disposable" if you wish. And you can choose which user name to use. Let me know.

By the way, the only reason your account did not get flagged as multiple accounts is that you posted from two different machines.

OP
Willabong
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes! Could you please do that, and I would like to keep the Disposable account, the only problem is I have the password for the Willabong account but have lost the password for the Disposable account ..... I know I am a bone head!
Maybe you could change the password and PM me the new one?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will combine both your accounts into "Willabong". By doing that, you won't need the password for "Disposable" as it will be gone from the data base.

Edit: Done!

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.