Time Machine problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 32 G ram MB Pro 2012 16 G ram iPad Air ser 5 2017 iPhone 11 xs max 256.
Bought a second hand 27" iMac late 2009 running High Sierra: My problem is that even though I have removed the old Admins details and replace them with my own, but when I tried to remove his Time Machine saved files I hit 2 problems: 1. The time machine backups were all in his name? 2. I want to use Time machine to do my own backups and remove all of his, but all I can do is copy the backup and it seems impossible to delete them?
I can make new backups but they all carry the old admins name not mine?
How do I delete All the Time Machine backups ad change the name of the backups folder to my name?

I would appreciate any advice on doing this!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When you get a used machine the FIRST thing you should do is erase the contents of the machine and re-install the OS. High Sierra is the latest version that will run on that 2009 iMac, so follow this link and go to Step 4 to grab the High Sierra installer from the Mac App Store. Then grab a copy of Diskmaker X and use that to create a USB installer for High Sierra. Keep this USB drive handy, we will try the quicker recovery option first and fall back to the USB drive if things go awry.

Reboot the machine and hold down CMD+r until you get into the recovery console, then use Disk Utility and erase the HD contents. Then you can do a Internet re-installation of High Sierra. Once completed, go ahead and set up the machine as yours and everything (time machine backups and all) will be just for you.

OP
Willabong
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 32 G ram MB Pro 2012 16 G ram iPad Air ser 5 2017 iPhone 11 xs max 256.
I understand where you are coming from RazOrEdge but I now have this iMac running the way I want it with my own software and email/internet all setup, the only problem is the one mentioned in my first post! I don't want to go through a re-installation process that I am not familiar with just to sort out one blip! There must be a simpler way of correcting this? (I hope).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It won't be "one blip" but a continuous string of blips. Sooner or later you will need to do a clean reinstall and the best time for that is now, before you get too far into configuring even more software on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I agree with Jake. It's either a little time now, or more time and effort later.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Without the backup drive (which is an external drive), you shouldn't be seeing any of the old backups to begin with. Surely the machine wasn't setup to backup to the internal drive which is not only silly, but not really a backup. You need to plugin an external drive and then Time Machine to use that as the backup drive. It will then create a brand new backup to start and incremental ones after.

OP
Willabong
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That (external backup drive) was the first thing I did when I changed the Admin rights! I may have given the wrong impression in my first post, But I have had this iMac for almost 2 weeks, and the backups were running properly but in the name of the previous admin.
Before I bought this 27" model I owned a 20" model, and I can't remember how I did it but Time Machine (after changing the Admin) ran backups with my name, and I had that machine for 2 years without problems!
Reinstalling would be a very last resort for me as I would probably get in a real mess!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have you deleted the previous owner's admin account from that machine? If not that may be part of the problem. If you go to System Preferences and open the open the Sharing Preference Pane what name is listed there for the computer? That's the name that The Machine uses to name the Time Machine backups.

Assuming that your current account is an administrator account you should be able to rename the computer to whatever you like. You should then be able to delete the current time machine backup if you like and start with the correct name.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
My problem is that even though I have removed the old Admins details and replace them with my own,

Can you clarify your statement??

Did you just REPLACE your name for theirs, or create a brand new admin usersname for yourself.

If you just did some sort of replace(somehow, and I don't know how you would have), I would agree with the others that you need to get it all sorted out now rather than later.

You may even be able to do it fairly easily using Migration Assistant.app.

- Patrick
======

OP
Willabong
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slydude: You may have hit on the solution, I hadn't changed that name! I managed to delete all of the previous Admins (named) backups, but there is one backup in the dustbin that will not delete, it is in my name and is a current one I think?
pm-r: I know how to remove the old admin, and of course I created a new admin account for myself so that I could remove the old one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
but there is one backup in the dustbin that will not delete,

Try using the Finder "Secure Delete Trash" or whatener its wording is these days.

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Time Machine names backups based, at least in part, upon whatever name the computer is given. When users do a clean install that usually takes care of the naming process as part of the setup. If you simply create a new user account and don't go through the initial setup the machine seems to retain the original name.

If the backup that won't delete is in your name it's probably recent. If you choose to do so it should be possible to format the backup drive and start fresh with a new backup without reinstalling all your apps.

OP
Willabong
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slydude: So how do I re-format my backup drive on my iMac please?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Give these directions a quick read. Since you will be using this drive for Time Machine you can skip part 2 about partitioning the drive.

OP
Willabong
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you so much Slydude, formatted and now backing up to the drive again and in my name, also the backup in the refuge bin has been deleted!
My thanks also to everyone else who tried to help!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you so much Slydude, formatted and now backing up to the drive again and in my name, also the backup in the refuge bin has been deleted!
My thanks also to everyone else who tried to help!
Formatting/erasing a drive will delete whatever is on the drive (Time Machine backups, brilliant ideas, moonshine recipes,:)). Use that command carefully. Even data recovery software may not Get anything back after that.

Glad you've gotten things sorted out to the way you wanted them.

OP
Willabong
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There was only backups on the drive (a 2 terr usb drive). I am familiar with formatting as I have used PC's for many years, but I had no idea where the utility was on the iMac. You have been brilliant and thank you again for your help!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There was only backups on the drive (a 2 terr usb drive). I am familiar with formatting as I have used PC's for many years, but I had no idea where the utility was on the iMac. You have been brilliant and thank you again for your help!
:blushing:app Finally somebody noticed. I must show this to my wife ASAP. Unfortunately I think she might disagree with you. lol. In all seriousness glad that is sorted out.

BTW Just for future reference in case you are not too familiar with how Time Machine works. At some point the drive will start approaching being full and you will be tempted to delete some of the backup folders manually using the Finder. Danger Will Robinson (arms flailing wildly). Do not follow this temptation. Doing so will break the backup and pretty well ruin chances of recovering a file when it's needed. Time Machine will clear more space as needed and do it in a way that doesn't break the backup.

OP
Willabong
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advice Mr Smith, err! I mean Robinson.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.